Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The End Of Green's England Career

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I''m absolutely sure we all wanted Green to come on and give and outstanding performance. .[/quote]

Not wrong - a good performance could have bumped his price up

Well said Gary, good luck Greeno and I am gutted for you. YC, you must be the most arrogant and conceited person I have ever come across - is there anything you would admit to being wrong about..ever?! If somebody disagrees with you (and this is not knee jerk but a measured analysis of a lot of your recent posts) they are simply dismissed as either "a joke", "naive" or "childish" and people who need to "grow up" - in fact I can''t wait to see what you call me for this post! [:D]  

I feel really sorry for greeno and was really disappointed last night when it happened.  I was very much looking forward to seeing a true norwich player in the england Squad, One that has come up through the ranks here. Heres hoping a speedy recovery.  This leaves him at a turning point in his career and how he recovers from this setback could make or break his confidence for good (anybody remember Richard Wright)

Back to Norwich, this leaves us in a really bad situation regarding keepers.  Greeno has 1 year left on his contract, and should this injury put off any potential suiters in the summer then we are left in a crisis.  What must Gallacher be thinking now??  He wants games to get back in the Scotland team and if we can''t garuantee him first team football he will be off quick sharp and I fear that will happen now.  If then Green is sold, what then???

[quote user="Gary Rudland"]No mate ............... you give it a rest how would you feel? This guy was on the verge of going to the World Cup and all you can think about is the effect it has on Norwich City Football Club! Robert Green is a very good keeper, has been loyal to Norwich and is by far and away the best player at our club. If anything he will come back stronger and I for one wish him a speedy recovery ........ far from being harsh ............... stupid more like it![/quote]

Have it your way,     but face the facts  why don`t you !   Green is NOT   good enough to be an England keeper ,  he was put on in the second half  of a B international  , and within 5 minutes  he muffed  a routine save  , fumbled , and collected an injury in the process ....  he`s a fumbler !  he fumbled  all through our prem season , he`s fumbled all through this last season , and THAT is why  he`s not attracted  the interest of prem clubs  .

Your correct that I think the clubs future  comes before Greeno`s  future !   I don`t think there`s any doubt  that he`d  be out the door in a flash  if  a prem club  came calling ,  or that he`s a disgruntled  keeper  BECAUSE   he`s not  wanted  !   

This is not to deny that all players  , including Greeno , have a right to  advance their careers and earning power  by moving to top clubs ,    but all to often  some players  forget that  this  means  they have to perform  at a high level   to reach a high level !   Francis  thought he was to good for this club , and  was soon found out  at Wigan , now he`s  on his bike again  ,  there`s just no hiding place  on the field !

Clubs scouts aren`t  mugs !!  

Yeah, you''re right on this CJF, it really has thrown a bit of a spanner in our works as far as the goalkeeping position is concerned. Greeno must be so gutted its unreal![:(]

I just hope that in life you never have to suffer the way Robert Green must be suffering today! He was going to the World Cup as a NORWICH CITY PLAYER ........... if that does not make you feel proud ......... then have it your way and to hell with how the lad must be feeling right about now.

If he moves on then good luck to him ........... he has been loyal to the Norwich cause for a long time. Would you move jobs to better yourself? Stop and think about Robert Green for a few moments and stop going on about "the big picture" all true fans will be supporting Robert and wishing him a speedy recovery.

[:@][:@]

I know we all have an opinion on Greeno`s capabilities as a Goalkeeper, whether he wants to play for us, his antics last season and how his injury affects Norwich City etc, but some of the posts on here make me question what is happening to Norwich City fans. Greeno must be absolutely devastated at what has happened and how do we react, with messages that purport to provide support but punctuated with nasty sideswipes. Maybe I am naive, but don`t you think we should be big enough to put our personal opinions aside and just wish Greeno well ?

Sheded!! I go along with your remarks entirely.  I''m as sorry as all of us must be that Green has sustained an injury.  This is a serious injury and will not easily repair.  I have said before that Green is in MO a very ordinary goal keeper among a very ordinary bunch that England have to select from.  For me Robinson stands out as being a courageous keeper in the old traditions of keeping, as was Nethercott of Norwich and also Sandy Kennon; some of the older supporters will remember and delight in their athleticism and agility at catching the crossing ball, also they would put their bodies where the ball is among the flailing feet of the opposition as they commanded the eighteen yard area with the bravery associated with a mother protecting their offspring.  I''m afraid that type of dedication to the job no longer exists in the minds of the younger players whatever the position they occupy.  Some will recall the bravery of Terry Butcher at centre-half for England when playing on after sustaining a bad cut to his head, although bandaged he was not going to allow a ball that could be headed out to pass him.  When I look at the effort shown by many of the present bunch of players engaged by championship and premiership clubs, when under pressure. One can see why we go overseas for talent and    maturity and above all effort. 

For a long while I have questioned Greens desire to play football for his home team, as his attempts over two seasons have been lack lustre to say the least.  In closing I can only wish him a complete recovery that will allow for his sale, to play for a team where he can rekindle a semblance of enthusiasm.  I would feel on present showing that our recent goalkeeper shows good alert form and would hope that he can be signed by Worthy to keep the goal-area warm for our up and coming reserve young keeper.OTBC!!!

ever since greeno became our no1 we have seen a dramatic increase in our fortunes playoff final and league winners in 3 seasons, green has been a loyal player if he wanted to move so bad he could have demanded a transfer or refused to play, like cashton and francis, but no he got on with it and carried on playing for our club, i would not be happy to see him leave, but if he did i would still like him as he has served norwich city well and stayed longer than many thought he may.

I think some people have short memories. During our promotion season, Green was simply outstanding, and for me, the best goalkeeper in England that season. Streets ahead of Calamty James, and edging ahead of the since very impressive Robinson. Green must have won us at least a dozen points that season, with some outstanding saves. Two stick in my memory. Away at Millwall, where we drew 0-0, and he pulled off some outstanding saves, and our 4-0 win at Derby, when in the first half Green produced two international class saves at point blank range to keep the score at 0-0. Had we conceded it might have been a completely different game.

Yes, it''s true Green hasn''t reached the heights he set that year - and that year is the reason he is in the England squad ahead of Kirkland, Carson etc. And the likes of Ben Foster are not as good as some would have you think. Nor is Carson - who was very poor whenever I''ve seen him for Liverpool. Kirkland has sadly developed a reputation for being injury prone, which could well damage his career. For me, Green now HAS to leave Norwich. The injury yesterday meant that the only way to get back into the England squad, is to play regularly at Premiership level, and to get some confidence playing at that level week in week out - as he looked ridiculously nervous coming on for England last night. I hope Green does leave Norwich, for his own sake, and to pursue his international career and to achieve his ambitions at a higher level. He can''t achieve them here at the moment. And I would wish him well doing so. He is a top goalkeeper, and in the right environment, I think he could push Robinson, and certainly go past David James.

To be honest I think Greeno needs to move to re-establish his England career. I too thought when he went down injured that that would be the last time we see him there. But there really is not too many other candidates, and if he can re-capture his amazing form of 01-04 then he should be back there.

Best wishes to the lad.

Many posters seek, often, out of kindness to make excuses for lack-lustre performances by players of the Green ilk. There have been far too many on Norwich City books of late, whoever signed them, whether long standing players or not.  IMO they are paid to perform, and for me there is no excuse to cheat on the fans that pay them good money to give of their all on the pitch, where ever they are asked to play.  While I can comiserate with Green over his injury and wish him a speedy recovery. What I think we as supporters are entitled to from players on NFC books is character, honesty, and 100%endeavour.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]Portsmouth and Charlton wanted him in

January and apparently Wigan last summer. Am gutted for Green but at

least now he should still be with us at the start of the season.[/quote]

No they didn''t. Not a single bid was recieved. Last estimate was he''s

be out 4 months at least as the rupture was severe. If we sign Ricketts

I cant see Green getting his place back at Norwich never mind England.

its a joke that he was ever selected, along with Crouch and Hargreaves.

He''ll go nowhere. If Gallagher has re signed then he''ll be gutted as

that will put him 3rd choice behind Ricketts and Green, he''ll be away

in Jan. Green will stay here or go to another Championship club. Unless

he wants to play backup to one of the Prem keepers.

Actually Watford might take him, I dont rate their fella.....

Caught a glimpse of him at the Beckhams World Cup do.I think he will miss all that stuff and find it hard to come back down to earth with a thump at City.

city till i die: could not help but notice you used the word cashton, did you not mean quality player the  board knew they could double their money on. ashton stepped back into the best league in the world when he joined west ham, the board did very little to keep him here in fact they pulled him out of the cup game, because if he was cup-tied then his price would have dropped. it seems the little knowledge you have about football is not worth knowing.

you dont rate watfords keeper(ben foster)???? well sir alex and his staff at old trafford see something in him. just breaking through at stoke and man utd pay £2.5 million must tell you something. sir alex rarely gets it wrong

I thoughly disagree woth the word Cashton!!!  The guy wanted Premiership football, and he new Norwich were not going to get promoted so he asked to leave in January  (in secrecy so as to let his current employers make as much money as possible off the sale).  We got a fair sum of money and he got a cup final and European football next year. Andy Johnson has done the same as Ashton - he left when Palace had lost the chance for promotion for a fair sum, its just they lasted longer than we did in the fight for promotion.

If you are a player of ashton''s quality you dont want to be sitting in a team going nowhere, and Worthy and the Boards ambition (Ambition my a***) could not match Deano''s.  If you were a player of his quality, ready for the premiership seeing players of the quality of Andy Hooves coming into the club what would you think.  Unsurprisingly he was disheartened.

Now we have Earny, a good paper over the cracks player, he will get goals in any team, he is a poacher.  But he won''t do anything else for the team.

I would have thought scoring goals is what he is here for and if he can get us 20+ in a season then he will have done us proud.

As for Ashton and co It does''nt take much to dishearten the modern man (they have no stickability) If there are a few cracks in the team it will take someone with character to help repair them, an outsize ego has no place when a fight is on.

[quote user="beelsie"]

I would have thought scoring goals is what he is here for and if he can get us 20+ in a season then he will have done us proud.

As for Ashton and co It does''nt take much to dishearten the modern man (they have no stickability) If there are a few cracks in the team it will take someone with character to help repair them, an outsize ego has no place when a fight is on.

[/quote]

If an outsize ego has no place when a fight is on then we are stuffed with Mr Worthington in charge.. and to be frank, if I was a footballer at NCFC, and saw a player the quality of Hooves fluffing innumerable passes, unyet being picked game in game out I would be disheartened too.....

I have watched Worthington throughout and in his playing days, I would reckon that those who played with him as a defender will vouch for the fact that he was a skillful defender who would give of his best at all times.  He would be in there where the going was tough doing, his maximum to assist where it was necessary.  I am certain that you are just trying to make a point that has little or no basis.  I judge a mans personality by what he as a footballer could be called upon to do.  He was the type to work to the best of his ability and often do more than his fair share of the work. 

I recognise that as a manager he has made innumerable mistakes, mostly on the media front where he has often been found lacking when asked to explain the inept displays we have all been asked to witness over the past two seasons.  I know for certain that the Worthy of old would be more than capable of holding and keeping a place in our defence.  Also he would''nt and did''nt need a manager to motivate him.  I also know that Worthy would be a far better man to have alongside me in an army situation than those week kneed whimps that would off and join the other side for thirty pieces of silver simply because the grass might be a little greener.  Of course you being of the younger ilk and in character with most of them would be first to jump ship if the going got a little sticky woud''nt you?

Steady on beelsie, picking on the young folks like that as if they are all the same. You''re starting to sound a little like me and that''s not healthy for you. Seriously, there are good and bad traits in people of all ages.....at least that''s my experience. 

Thank,s for pulling me up YC I would retract the word "most " in my assessment.  I drew the ammunition used from my experience as an instructor with a engineering training establishment, afterselling my business and taking early retirement.  Some trainees had been made redundant and were moving from one trade to another, ages upwards from 19 -40 40% were tired and lacked self motivation and were ready to be managers before becoming good at what ever it was that they were studying.

The best and most industrious also were immigrants and were of Asian orientation, Chinese,  Surprise surprise, they also were better at our English language, than were many of our lads.  Also they were more mannerly in their behaviour and could be at the place of study, ready for work, (that is) not suffering from overhang from the night before.  In my business I was blessed with  good men who were capable and it was a pleasure having them with me. 

Roland - Alex Ferguson regularly gets it wrong, how else can you explain Bosnich, Tim Howard, Taibee, Bellison, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Alan Smith, Neil Webb, Forlan, Paborsky, Ricardinhio (a Spainsh goalie they had I think), that left back they bought last season for £5.5 million from France, Fortune. Actually Ferguson is about as good as most managers when considering his success to failure ratio. What he is undoubtadly brilliant at however is producing world class youngsters through the youth system. But none of that means that Ben Foster is going to be a top class goalkeeper. And it certainly doesn''t mean that he''ll be better than Green just because Man Utd bought him.

well done, you''ve named 13 players from his 20 years in charge at mu, we can all do that. van nistlerooy, irwin, parker, pallister, keane, cantona, schmeichel, solskjaer, sharpe, ince, kanchelskis, van der saar and not forgetting the best ever uncapped defender steve bruce. anyone can add names to a list its easy. for every bad player at a club someone else will find a good one. i think his trophy cabinet would suggest he gets it right more than he gets it wrong.   

Well said Gary. At last, someone on this board with some sense. How many other championship sides would have an player in the England world cup squad and then slate him....? 

AinY, depends whether the person is being honest in his views.  In my opinion it makes sense to slate those who are not up to it whether they are products of your side or not.  After all were not pack animals who are bound to defend one of ones own bunch. Just be honest,it''s easier!!! If Green is the target then it''s his lack -luster uninspired displays over the last two seasons that have revealed his true character.  If after recovering from his injury, which I hope he will. IMHO he is never, on recent displays worthy of an England shirt.  If the pundits think he is then it speaks volumes about the calibre of the English goalkeeping stock.

Following on from Beelsie`s  pretty correct summing up  of today`s keepers ,  I would like to know exactly when  this punching the ball away  became  the order of the day ?    time and time  you see keepers punching away shots that could just as easily be caught !  and , all too often ,  by doing so   , knock the ball into the path  of the advancing  strikers .  and  the balls in the net ...   

Coming back  to Green ,  his injury  could keep him out of action for the entire season !   and now Nigels strange  treatment of Gallacher   has exploded in his face  , because  he`s lost  his regular keeper ,  and Gallacher  would be understood if   he got on his bike  and rode away !  Wards left , and Nigel will never give the kid  the keepers  job ,  so yet another  temp player is brought in  to  fill the vacancy .........and if HE gets injured  ?? 

and all because Nigel   hadn`t the nous to  alternate  keepers , * , its not as though Greeno  was too good   to replace ,  two seasons  of poor keeping   , and it NEVER occurred  to him that he  had another keeper  to choose   ?   WO !

Well, Sheded nice to get something right for a change, and you''re spot on regarding the inept handling of our goalkeepers, and the fact that the poor man management in this case could leave NCFC with egg on it''s face.

Have you noticed that we from opposite sides of the Worthy out/in fence can converse in letter form without resorting to slagging one another off?  I do''nt know how old you are Sheded; perhaps you can remember Sandy kennon, and Ken Nethercott I do''nt remember either of those punching a ball out. They made a decision to go for the crossing ball early, no one was left in doubt that it was their ball, and it was caught in safe hands.

Also guess what, there were always two players at opposite sides of the field ready to recieve the ball out of defence to start an attack.  What happened to those ways of turning defence into attack,  just look at us now, we do''nt seem to have any clue about off the ball running, this has now turned into off the ball hiding. Best wishes.