Sign in to follow this  
streakey

WORTHLESS THE MYTH ?

Who created the myth of Worthless being one othe games brightess young managers around ?What person spun us  the yarn from inside the club.Who is this misguided illusionist or have they left for their summer season show  at Great Yarmouth  or Blackpool !

[quote user="streakey"]Who created the myth of Worthless being one othe games brightess young managers around ?What person spun us  the yarn from inside the club.Who is this misguided illusionist or have they left for their summer season show  at Great Yarmouth  or Blackpool ![/quote]Erm that would be the one and only Brian Hamilton.

I remember Bob Cooper calling Worthy "one of the brightest young managers in the game" when he was first promoted from assistant manager. I was terrified after what I''d heard from Blackpool fans of up-and-under football and relegation... But, eventually, I warmed to him and, in fairness, he had to prove his worth the hard way... I don''t remember anyone being particularly excited about his appointment as manager. But now I feel like we should give the guy some slack. He''s not the same manager as he was in his first job at Blackpool, as proven by our championship winning season, and he''s had a tough time this season with a much changed lineup, injuries to key players etc... Not to mention having had the fans at his throat for over half the season.

I feel as if every time our club has brough in a new manager in recent history, we just end up wasting lots of money and taking gradual steps backwards. Up until this season Worthy has been the exception to this rule (I felt that the Premiership season simply wasn''t the flop that everyone paints it as).... But the team still managed a 9th placed finish which is better than any other manager (other than Rioch... just) has achieved since 1995. In my mind a new manager is still not worth the gamble.

[quote user="streakey"]Who created the myth of Worthless being one othe games brightess young managers around ?What person spun us  the yarn from inside the club.Who is this misguided illusionist or have they left for their summer season show  at Great Yarmouth  or Blackpool ![/quote]

Straight out of that bloody cooks big mouth Streaky.........................and I dn''t mean Gordon Ramsey, who is of course a chef!.

Didn''t Worthy take us to Play-Off Final and win us a Championship, all in his first four years at the helm?

Christ, people have short memories.

The thing is pre worthington we only got attendances of like 16,000 for home games now we get 24,000 that  means 8,000 of our fans do not really know how bad it was in the dark days they''ve simply come along once we''ve started doing well and as soon as we have a blip they see it as a disaster (this is not meant as a critisism, i realise that attendances are linked to success at any club). This season although not great was still a lot better than pre worthy times.

I think you have it the wrong way round Wayne , all the more recent fans are with Worthy , whereas the fans that can remember Bond , Brown , Walker ,Stringer etc realise just what a crap manager this Irishman is.

There have been some good posts on this subject.

Many of the posters here probably don''t remember the years of mediocrity that we had prior to Worthington. Whilst I may not be his greatest fan, I think that he has earned the right to be given another chance. Those that think that it is easy to just pick up another manager who will get us promotion need to look at recent history,

[quote user="Worthless Paddy"]I think you have it the wrong way round Wayne , all the more recent fans are with Worthy , whereas the fans that can remember Bond , Brown , Walker ,Stringer etc realise just what a crap manager this Irishman is.[/quote]We were desperatly rubbish for years, even if were not great now we are still 100% better than pre worthy. When he joined the club we''d all have been pleased with a 9th place finish, i think that to a large extent Nigel Worthington is a victim of his own success.

That last statement is very true. In 18 odd years of watching City play, it was at it''s most exciting under Worthy''s Play-Off & promotion seasons (even back when we were top of the Prem, the atmosphere and passion shown by the fans didn''t seem to match that of two seasons ago) and in a way, Worthy has himself set the standard for what people expect of Norwich City every season - excitement, drama, big atmospheres and ultimately, us winning every single game.

I distinctly remember Brian Hamilton saying that he was pleased to get Worthington in as his assistant as he was a bright young coach and manager. I think you will find that he probably advised Delia to give him ago and perhaps Delia even used his words.In any case I think it was in a statement released by the board upon his permanent employment which they are hardly going to say:"We have decided to appoint the worse possible candidate we can find who is old and can guide us safely to Div 2 where we would like to struggle and play on rough pitches."Seriously guys - give it a break.

agreed - worthy is a victim of his own success, in the sense he has found the transition from managing good players to quality players difficult.  he is more at home with hard working, loyal down to earth pro''s (as he was) than talented egotistical, skilful, quality players, who sometimes don''t show much on the training pitch but produce the goods on match days. in a managerial sense, he needs to radically change his approach to get the most and best from quality players, who are different animals from average players.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]agreed - worthy is a victim of his own success, in the sense he has found the transition from managing good players to quality players difficult.  he is more at home with hard working, loyal down to earth pro''s (as he was) than talented egotistical, skilful, quality players, who sometimes don''t show much on the training pitch but produce the goods on match days.

in a managerial sense, he needs to radically change his approach to get the most and best from quality players, who are different animals from average players.

[/quote]Until he accepts that you need a blend of the youngsters and more experienced pros then he is never going to get it right.  It is all very well being loyal to your senior pros, but when they are underperforming, which happened a great deal last season, you must give some of the youngsters a chance.  When I say give them a chance it doesn''t mean one game and then not even on the bench for the next one.  I believe if he had put some of the youngsters in against Wolves the result would have been different and he would have got his 7th place.  He also needs to radically change his approach to the supporters who he has openly knocked on a number of occasions this season.

I think it will be interesting to see what happend to Boothroyd over the few seasons.  He is currently "one of the brightest young managers around" as was Worthington two seasons ago.  I wonder what would happen if Boothroyd went up, went down and stayed down?

[quote user="BedsCanary"]

That last statement is very true. In 18 odd years of watching City play, it was at it''s most exciting under Worthy''s Play-Off & promotion seasons (even back when we were top of the Prem, the atmosphere and passion shown by the fans didn''t seem to match that of two seasons ago) and in a way, Worthy has himself set the standard for what people expect of Norwich City every season - excitement, drama, big atmospheres and ultimately, us winning every single game.

[/quote]

Yep Id go along with that. Ive been a season ticket since we got originally relegated, and endured four/five years of absolute rubbish before Worthy came along. As someone said before our attendance has gone up from 16k to 24k, Carrow road had a great atmosphere between 01-02 and 04-05, and we have seen some pretty damn good players. So if he goes, Ill be one of the first to thank him for everything, even if others dont.

Didn''t Worthy take us to Play-Off Final and win us a Championship, all in his first four years at the helm?

[/quote]

Yep - and ever since then, his trousers have been round his ankles... He''s proved beyond doubt in the past 2 years that he just doesn''t have what it takes at the higher levels..... Taxi to Division 1, anybody???

[/quote]

Yep - and ever since then, his trousers have been round his ankles... He''s proved beyond doubt in the past 2 years that he just doesn''t have what it takes at the higher levels..... Taxi to Division 1, anybody???

To sign and play a player of Hughes''s limited abilities in every game possible shows how unbeleivably far we have fallen.  Worthy is a limited manager.

AT least Dowie Acheived 2 play-off spots (including a promotion) in 1 and a half championship seasons.  And left Oldham in a play-off spot when he moved to palace.  Davies has 2 play-off spots in 2 seasons.  Megson got 2 promotions in 2 championship season''s!!!

Worthy left Blackpool getting relegated.