Sign in to follow this  
Honest Joe

Do you think Worthy might possibly still get it together next year?

What''s gone wrong? He''s got us into the prem before, he must have got something right at the time, if he''s going to stay do you think he can do it again?Can Delia help him?

Absolutely no chance. There is no evidence even at this stage in the season that the Management team and squad have what it takes to deliver a challenge. The Management is bereft of ideas (lump the ball up to a midget....) and totally incapable of developing a team that can get results away from home (A feature of Nige''s 5 years in charge - even in the prmotion season it was built on home form with a few lucky aways thrown in, only in the last 1/4 season when we were up were any decent away results gained).

There is nothing. NOTHING. on display now that suggests that next year you''ll see anything different to the turgid, dire, rubbish you see now.

There is only a chance if 1 thing happens. The Management team leave. Then maybe there''s a glimmer.

[quote user="Honest Joe"]What''s gone wrong? He''s got us into the prem before, he must have got something right at the time, if he''s going to stay do you think he can do it again?

Can Delia help him?
[/quote]

He got Lucky! The thing he did right was buy Darren Huckerby simple!!! He will not do it again as he will buy some player who can play in 6 diffrent postions and has "Work Ethic". We have enough of these numpties!

I think it is harsh to say Worthington got lucky by buying Darren Huckerby - granted he was the catalyst which got us over the line, but he had built a team which at the start of that season, in my opinion, was two strikers short of storming to promotion - and it was indeed the case. But that team was built on a hard to beat spine, full of solid good pros, with useful squad players in back up. The current squad is a million years away from that team now. So, without changing our squad significantly in the summer, it wouldn''t matter if we had Wenger, Mourino or Ferguson in charge, we''d still be a mid table bunch of cloggers. Too many of our players are simply not up to the standard required to get a team promoted from the Championship. In the past Worthington was very good at weeding out those players who weren''t good enough. So God knows why he has become blind this season, and brought in jokes of players such as Thorne, Etuhu, Hughes, Robinson, Jarrett etc etc. All should be shown the door ASAP.

Your absulutely right.

We have had players come and go, injuries dry up, but we are not playing any better than we were in the first half of the season. In fact i would say we are playing worse.

The old excuse of the new team needing time to gel as we have alot of new players don''t apply now.

Nothing will change under NW.

He has to go there is absolutely no doubt about it.

Brian Clough was successful once, and highly respected, but there comes a time for everyone when you just have to move on.

Yes, because he isn''t going to be at CR, don''t really care where he goes next.  Hopefully somewhere where football isn''t important to anyone....

He''ll be gone in the summer.  The nightmare of this happening again (and the parachute money running out) will be a step too far for the board.  They''ll get rid while we are concentrating on the World Cup. 

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Yes, because he isn''t going to be at CR, don''t really care where he goes next.  Hopefully somewhere where football isn''t important to anyone....

He''ll be gone in the summer.  The nightmare of this happening again (and the parachute money running out) will be a step too far for the board.  They''ll get rid while we are concentrating on the World Cup. 

[/quote]

More or less what I was thinking !    despite all the moans that the board  aren`t listening  or caring  , they must be doing some hard thinking  right now ,  and , IMO , they know what they have to do .....  and this summer has to see some  radical action  !   the fans just wont stand  for being short changed  , wont stand for  another season   watching  dire performances  from a team   that they see  as not trying ....      Nigel has to go , and also the backroom staff ,    I would also like to see a wholesale clear-out  of the dead beat players  we have !   at the end of the day  it is THEY   who  have  made a laughing stock of the club  ..... 

No chance - look at the tactics, the decisions, the team selection, the wasted money on transfers, etc. etc. These have been pretty constant.He succeeded before because we got Hux, who galvanised the whole side, and the manager deserves credit for pulloing that one off. But my feeling is that there is so much less ability in the team now that if another Hux could be produced it would not be enough.The only way we are likely to have success is if we have a clear out of the dross and invest heavily in footballers with skill. We have not got the money now, and I would not trust him with it if we had.

Nigel seems to have a penchant for rubbish central midfielders with few exceptions (Safri). He played Holt day in & day out so we were forced to play a 4-3-2 with Holt doing nothing. It got painful seeing him on the pitch, chasing shadows. The only ball he ever would win was the the that he had just lost possession of but it would seem that he''d won the ball from nothing. We now have Hughes, Etohu & Robinson who force us to play a 4-2-2 or a 4-3-1 and we then wonder why we''re no good this season. We never have been able to replace Damian Francis and until then we will never get to a threatening position in the Champ.

We never replaced Francis... Spot on! He was just as influential as Hucks when we won the league IMO. He got forward, scored goals but also got back & put his foot in. Etuhu is no Francis & Hughes is worse than Holt.

[quote user="Camberwick Green"]

Absolutely no chance. There is no evidence even at this stage in the season that the Management team and squad have what it takes to deliver a challenge. The Management is bereft of ideas (lump the ball up to a midget....) and totally incapable of developing a team that can get results away from home (A feature of Nige''s 5 years in charge - even in the prmotion season it was built on home form with a few lucky aways thrown in, only in the last 1/4 season when we were up were any decent away results gained).

There is nothing. NOTHING. on display now that suggests that next year you''ll see anything different to the turgid, dire, rubbish you see now.

There is only a chance if 1 thing happens. The Management team leave. Then maybe there''s a glimmer.

[/quote]

Although I cant see much promise, I heard similar things said about him at the end of the 2002-2003 season, where we had an even worse away record if i remember correctly.

from the level of our performances, no. where''s the encouragement to think otherwise?  according to rick waghorn, we should forget about passing football, the norwich style of past years is nothing more than nostalgic romanticism - if we can hoof our way back to the prem, then all well and good.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Camberwick Green"]

[/quote]

Although I cant see much promise, I heard similar things said about him at the end of the 2002-2003 season, where we had an even worse away record if i remember correctly.

[/quote]

to put things into perspective, in 2002/2003 we amassed 69 points Home W14 D4 L5 Away W5 D8 L10 finished 5 points off the play-offs

this season with 12 points still we have 56 points Home W11 D4 L6 Away W5 D4 L12 and are currently 14 points off the play-offs

so it is safe to say this is a pretty disappointing season

Most worryingly we have conceded 60 goals compared to 49 previously, even though we play with lots of defensive central midfielders these days...

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

How can you be so certain Gazza?

And while I''m on do you recommend using a wash of thinned white emulsion over a strong colour before re-painting?

[/quote]

First of all something I can answer.  I would recommend you use a coat of white emulsion, or any pale colour you happen to have before using the colour you have chosen to repaint with!  I wouldn''t recommend thinning it out though, you might just have to do two coats then.

As to Nigel - I am certain that the board will eventually start to look on this season as business people, not just colleagues of Worthington.  They will have Doncaster adding up the figures and thinking what if?  What if this happens next season, when we don''t have a cushion to soften the blow of not gaining promotion.  All the good work out of the window?  Season ticket holders faced with two awful seasons deserting in their droves, sponsorship likely to be reduced, merchandising dropped off a bit?  Not able to attract such good players and of course the players we already have on contracts we can ill afford. 

I think they know they might have to make a decision they didn''t want to make, and after publically backing him and giving him a chance (ie a whole season) to make it work, they have to come to the conclusion it hasn''t worked, so time to do something about it. 

Thanks Gazza, the liquer (magnolia with a pinki tinge four times the price of magnolia) in my study looks lovely but it is a bugger to cut around the white coving with.