cambridgeshire canary

*official Lappinitup playoff thread; Canaries V Whites*

Posted (edited)

OK, I know I'm weighing into the Duffy debate, but one thing that pis*ed me off today was seeing Duffy advising Sara and Nunez about what to do at free kicks. So this ar*ehole who turned the week before an incredibly important game for the club into a discussion about his own scummy behaviour feels he has the right to lecture two consummate professionals who give everything they can to the club and behave impeccably in a way that he - brought into the club, let's not forget, as a wise old head - is incapable of. I didn't see much humility or contrition there for the way he has undermined the club during the past week.

I accept that the club and Wagner had the right to decide whether he should have played today, but we should dump him as soon as possible and blood one of our youngsters, not because he's a drunken driver but because long-term they're unlikely to be any worse than him on the pitch. And whether we're in the PL or hoping to fight to get promoted from the Championship, we need someone way, way better than him in our defence.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamieNorfolk said:

Considering the season & roller coaster we've been on, I have no idea why there's any negativity on this forum after todays result at home to Leeds. 

Remember October / November? Regardless of results on Thursday, imagine if that level of performance continued. Quite nice to be able to say Sargent had a **** game & it was right to take Rowe off for Fass in comparison. 

I enjoyed today, Nunez MOTM for me. On to Thursday. 

I think he got MOTM, and deservedly so. If we have to reshuffle our attack on Thursday due to an injury to Sargent, I hope Wagner doesn't move Nunez into the ten position. He does a great job in midfield and is as close as we've had to a DM since the days of Skipp because he reads the game so well off the ball. Several times today he made crucial tackles or interceptions that foiled a dangerous Leeds attack. He also reads the game well from midfield in an attacking sense and works well with both McLean and Sara.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Largely a ****3 performance. Wagner put out our strongest XI, Rowe and Sargent were utterly woeful.

Distribution from the back was horrendous. That ball over the top to beat the Leeds high press seldom looked like working.

Neither fullback got forward, we lacked ideas.

Leeds will be delighted, but we're still on the tie.

Agree very cagey by both teams and distribution was awful. still have a chance but remember Leeds won both league games so not to lose today a PLUS

• Like 1

First goal in the next leg is going to be so important. If we can get it and hold out for a good period their crowd will start to turn, to be fair even if we don’t score I think they’ll get cagey if it’s 0-0 after 30+ still. If we go behind it’s going to be a brutal atmosphere to come back in. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The draw creates a potential problem for Leeds if they don't score early. If they'd lost 2-0, their tactics would be clear - attack. Get one back, the fans are on board, the place would be buzzing, and they might refind their form. Now they need to balance attacking intent with caution, a much harder thing to do both tactically and emotionally. 

Even if they go 1-0 up, there's the same problem. Do they go for a killer second goal or play safe?

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

The draw creates a potential problem for Leeds if they don't score early. If they'd lost 2-0, their tactics would be clear - attack. Get one back, the fans are on board, the place would be buzzing, and they might refind their form. Now they need to balance attacking intent with caution, a much harder thing to do both tactically and emotionally. 

Even if they go 1-0 up, there's the same problem. Do they go for a killer second goal or play safe?

Well, it is one take on the forthcoming match on Thursday. The thing is Norwich started well but faded as the match wore on and it seemed that early in the second half they decided to play safe and rarely ventured up the pitch to attack. Meslier in our goal looked the shakiest he has been all season and had an awful first half. Thankfully for us he was not troubled at all in the second half. As for the rest of the team we have gone off the boil since the International Break in March and are struggling to put any type of game together.  Hopefully, on Thursday we'll get a match that is a darned sight better that the dour and cagey arrair that was served up on Sunday although I doubt it. More likely it will be a war of attrition. It's hard to decide which way it's going to go TBH.

So now Norwich will come to Elland Road and it will not serve them well to be sitting back and hoping to catch us on the break. A lot of Leeds United fans complain about the way the Leeds play under Farke at times holding the ball as they do anong the back line and passing it sideways, back to the goalkeeper and across for seemingly ages without making much progress. However, in the playoffs that is the very thing that will help us settle and pick our forward forrays. Much as we might like to play the gung ho style of the Bielsa days I think our approach will be much more measured. If they want to prevail Norwich will have to come out and play. 

I really hope it doesn't go to penalties! 

10 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Well, it is one take on the forthcoming match on Thursday. The thing is Norwich started well but faded as the match wore on and it seemed that early in the second half they decided to play safe and rarely ventured up the pitch to attack. Meslier in our goal looked the shakiest he has been all season and had an awful first half. Thankfully for us he was not troubled at all in the second half. As for the rest of the team we have gone off the boil since the International Break in March and are struggling to put any type of game together.  Hopefully, on Thursday we'll get a match that is a darned sight better that the dour and cagey arrair that was served up on Sunday although I doubt it. More likely it will be a war of attrition. It's hard to decide which way it's going to go TBH.

So now Norwich will come to Elland Road and it will not serve them well to be sitting back and hoping to catch us on the break. A lot of Leeds United fans complain about the way the Leeds play under Farke at times holding the ball as they do anong the back line and passing it sideways, back to the goalkeeper and across for seemingly ages without making much progress. However, in the playoffs that is the very thing that will help us settle and pick our forward forrays. Much as we might like to play the gung ho style of the Bielsa days I think our approach will be much more measured. If they want to prevail Norwich will have to come out and play. 

I really hope it doesn't go to penalties! 

Seems like @Branston Pickle is the only one that didn’t see Meslier playing poorly first half and Norwich failing to apply more pressure to him as the game went on. 

7 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Seems like @Branston Pickle is the only one that didn’t see Meslier playing poorly first half and Norwich failing to apply more pressure to him as the game went on. 

Really? Ffs you must be fun at parties/in the pub - not one to harp on about pointless arguments, are you.  He may misplaced a couple of passes but he was far from ‘having a nightmare’ as you suggested.  Move on.

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

It might as well be cup final both both teams.

45 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Really? Ffs you must be fun at parties/in the pub - not one to harp on about pointless arguments, are you.  He may misplaced a couple of passes but he was far from ‘having a nightmare’ as you suggested.  Move on.

Given you’re so quick to pounce upon others with your condescending comments it’s always good to hold a mirror to you when given the chance 

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

Given you’re so quick to pounce upon others with your condescending comments it’s always good to hold a mirror to you when given the chance 

Er, ok.  Little things please little minds, I guess.

On 12/05/2024 at 12:37, TheBaldOne66 said:

Interesting that Sorensen not in squad, does this mean the club are ready to part company with him and not take up his extra year I wonder?

Club negotiating a new 2 year deal.