cambridgeshire canary

*official Lappinitup playoff thread; Canaries V Whites*

19 minutes ago, Spillay said:

Have we had a shot in anger this half? 

Either half 

If we are going to sit off, as we’ve done for the last hour, on Thursday - then we need to be far more willing and better at countering them at speed. 

Leeds will have much more about them at home. 

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Wagner did get Huddersfield up with 3 0-0 draws didn’t he?

A record of four games and zero goals scored is pretty poor isn't it!

• Like 1

We gave all for the first 20 mins and then we faded - need to do better at Leeds- Farke will be very happy with todays game

• Like 2

Well done City but not enough I fear. On to Thursday.👏👍

A very Wagner display when what we needed was all guns blazing. If we’re going into that second leg with the Van up front we are finished, he genuinely doesn’t look like a footballer. Let’s pray that Sargent is a precaution and he’s ok.

I cannot believe our approach to that game. Disgraceful in my view to show so little ambition in the home leg of a playoff match. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I know the accepted wisdom is that we needed to take a lead to Elland road, but I really don't think that's the worst result. It would have been madness to throw people forward in attempt to get a late winner, then concede one on the break. We needed to score during that period we were on top in the first half - it was always likely that Leeds, with their far superior bench, would come into it more and more as the game went on, especially on a hot day.

It's going to take a monumental performance in the second leg, but if we can keep it tight, if we can nick a goal from a set-piece, that home advantage for Leeds could turn into a burden. Really happy we're not going there having to overturn a deficit.

Well played, boys, especially Marcelino Núñez. What a performance from him: currently our most underrated player?

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 11

Just now, Helsinki canary said:

Farke got the tactics right, pressed us in the 2nd half and followed the old rule of best form of defense is attack

Agreed. He’ll have aimed at a draw and then put it to bed on Thursday. But Leeds only looked comfortable as we sat so far off them at times and had hardly any tempo or counter (bar first 15). They were there to be beaten 

• Like 1

I'm not sat here ****ting my pants for Thursday night.  Leeds didn't look like a top 2 side, we didn't look like a 'scraped into 6th place' side.  We're not out by any stretch.

And Duffy didn't distinguish himself negatively for me.  All in all I'm going away pretty happy.  Could have been better, could have been worse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Neither team wanted to win that.

Neither team wanted to lose it, rightly so.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Leeds are favs to win Vs us in this play-off. Keeping a clean sheet was important and I felt we did well to hold them at bay. 1st half we should have made more of the possession and our set pieces were not up to their usual standards.

Pretty even, pretty tight. Though I do think the Leeds defense showed some vulnerabilities, though ours did too.

First half we gave it a good go, 2nd half the energy was gone, even Leeds were a bit slower. Being able to bring Daniel James on off the bench highlights how they are just relegated and have a bit of a deeper squad (esp with Bamford out too).

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

Just now, chicken said:

Leeds are fans to win Vs us in this play-off. Keeping a clean sheet was important and I felt we did well to hold them at bay. 1st half we should have made more of the possession and our set pieces were not up to their usual standards.

Pretty even, pretty tight. Though I do think the Leeds defense showed some vulnerabilities, though ours did too.

First half we gave it a good go, 2nd half the energy was gone, even Leeds were a bit slower. Being able to bring Daniel James on off the bench highlights how they are just relegated and have a bit of a deeper squad (esp with Bamford out too).

Exactly right

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

A record of four games and zero goals scored is pretty poor isn't it!

I think we do miss Barnes. Sargent isolated without.

• Like 2

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

And Sara not nearly so effective in the centre. I'd start Fassnacht for Rowe on Thursday and let him and Sara swap in and out of the ten/right-hand side roles. We need to get Gabby on the ball more. In that ten he expends far too much energy chasing the ball.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Well done City but not enough I fear. On to Thursday.👏👍

Well done , 90 mins without one worthwhile attempt at goal against a out of form Leeds and a very nervous goalkeeper. I wish I could be so easily pleased. Tie over now and just as well really because this team in the top flight would set new records.

• Like 2

Sargent and Rowe just had bad games,neither were really any threat.Defensively we are very poor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

And Sara not nearly so effective in the centre. I'd start Fassnacht for Rowe on Thursday and let him and Sara swap in and out of the ten/right-hand side roles. We need to get Gabby on the ball more. In that ten he expends far too much energy chasing the ball.

Agreed Sara was too advanced, he didn't seen enough of the ball. I would have like Fasi to have been the more advanced player when he came on. 

I can delete the recording of this match soonest.  This was the sort of performance expected from a Wagner coached team.  Been saying this all season, not going again until he is a memory

Have to laugh canary call highlights lasted 2 seconds and fans at the match said it was boring and not confident

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I agree with that today 

• Like 1