Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Seen that shirt before….

I’m sure I’ve seen this shirt before somewhere? 

also some inflatable canaries for good measure 

IMG_9452.jpeg

IMG_9453.jpeg

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

Sadly they got relegated at the weekend 

Copying everything we do

• Haha 1

Wow. Never knew this -

The Canaries
Hitchin Town Football Club has been nicknamed 'The Canaries' since 1928. A canary bird first appeared on Hitchin Town F.C. shirts in 1949.

Definitely copied us though, we've been THE Canaries since 1905....

Just now, lake district canary said:

Definitely copied us though, we've been THE Canaries since 1905....

Have we? Citizens for a while,  weren't we? I know the Canaries nickname came before the yellow shirts but my quite sure of the dates 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Have we? Citizens for a while,  weren't we? I know the Canaries nickname came before the yellow shirts but my quite sure of the dates 

I think the nickname of the Canaries probably dates from the 1905-06 season where, with the club now playing in the Southern League and thus visiting more metropolitan places outside of East Anglia, the national press started to take interest in the club. It is suggested the nickname is due to one of the press trying to poke fun at the club misfiring. One of the equivalent of today's tabloid sports reporter made a passing "pisstake" comment about "the Canaries from Norwich" when reporting on one of their matches. Rather than rising to this it is posited the fans ironically decided to adopt the "pisstake" comment as there was already a perception of not being taken seriously by the national press.  

From the analysis on the Norwich City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk) site, the Canary is first said to appear on the club's official kit in 1907-08 season.

image.png.733a03718031f8bb56aaf0c32a01815b.png

The archives however suggest the above is based on a team photograph from 1913-14 which had been mislabelled! But without the benefit of time travel, no-one seems to know.

image.png.d007b68607d1d5e9803fbb2b922c0b36.png

Again from the same site the 1913-14 kit. But the Archives suggest the Canary only appeared on the shirts worn during the pre-season posed team photographs as it goes on to say "... a photograph from [a rare photographed] match shows the Canary badge was not incorporated into the [match] shirts". 

The next time the Canary was sewn on the club's shirts was not until 1923-24, but ironically on Blue & White kits! This seems to be a nod to the club's nickname, in an aim to differentiate the club from others. Or more likely, defend itself from the anger of the supporters upset with the radical change in team colours.

image.png.97cfa948ec7969302d8e16d4829705e4.png

The reversion to green and yellow shirts following these season meant the Canary badge did not appear on shirts again until after the war! It was only from season 1947-48 that the Canary featured on every shirt the club played in thereon.

image.png.16e2df3f1db0d9c468e0df9c7a83dff1.png 

• Thanks 3

When I was in Hitchin a couple of months ago I did have to do a double take when walking past their tourist information centre as they has a load of norwich scarves and stuff in the window.... turns out they weren't Norwich...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I think the nickname of the Canaries probably dates from the 1905-06 season where, with the club now playing in the Southern League and thus visiting more metropolitan places outside of East Anglia, the national press started to take interest in the club. It is suggested the nickname is due to one of the press trying to poke fun at the club misfiring. One of the equivalent of today's tabloid sports reporter made a passing "pisstake" comment about "the Canaries from Norwich" when reporting on one of their matches. Rather than rising to this it is posited the fans ironically decided to adopt the "pisstake" comment as there was already a perception of not being taken seriously by the national press.  

From the analysis on the Norwich City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk) site, the Canary is first said to appear on the club's official kit in 1907-08 season.

image.png.733a03718031f8bb56aaf0c32a01815b.png

The archives however suggest the above is based on a team photograph from 1913-14 which had been mislabelled! But without the benefit of time travel, no-one seems to know.

image.png.d007b68607d1d5e9803fbb2b922c0b36.png

Again from the same site the 1913-14 kit. But the Archives suggest the Canary only appeared on the shirts worn during the pre-season posed team photographs as it goes on to say "... a photograph from [a rare photographed] match shows the Canary badge was not incorporated into the [match] shirts". 

The next time the Canary was sewn on the club's shirts was not until 1923-24, but ironically on Blue & White kits! This seems to be a nod to the club's nickname, in an aim to differentiate the club from others. Or more likely, defend itself from the anger of the supporters upset with the radical change in team colours.

image.png.97cfa948ec7969302d8e16d4829705e4.png

The reversion to green and yellow shirts following these season meant the Canary badge did not appear on shirts again until after the war! It was only from season 1947-48 that the Canary featured on every shirt the club played in thereon.

To put a little flesh on the the above:

The earliest known written association of NCFC with 'canaries' was April 1905 in the 'Norwich Mercury', when it referred to the City v Lynn match below (though note the formal use of "Cits")

image.png.820772388c4d41bb66b7b3f83278cda2.png

A more formal use of nickname followed in May

image.png.b737b19aa0277418de8c847cc275e17b.png

No sign of Canary on shirts used for 1907/08 lineup        image.png.140e77c535d9e5d336e457cf34f97b78.png

Canary crests appear on the shirts used for the 1913/14 lineup (below)

image.png.f8a2ca0ccc4cb9c96e495fb6fea03e47.png

Edited by NewNestCarrow
addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The Hatters were originally the Strawplaiters then! I wonder if Stockport fans will try and reclaim their nickname!

image.png

Looks like Lungi was on the bench then as well! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

To put a little flesh on the the above:

The earliest known written association of NCFC with 'canaries' was April 1905 in the 'Norwich Mercury', when it referred to the City v Lynn match below (though note the formal use of "Cits")

image.png.820772388c4d41bb66b7b3f83278cda2.png

A more formal use of nickname followed in May

image.png.b737b19aa0277418de8c847cc275e17b.png

No sign of Canary on shirts used for 1907/08 lineup        image.png.140e77c535d9e5d336e457cf34f97b78.png

Canary crests appear on the shirts used for the 1913/14 lineup (below)

image.png.f8a2ca0ccc4cb9c96e495fb6fea03e47.png

They say this was the season Ashley Barnes first started his career..

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They say this was the season Ashley Barnes first started his career..

Funnily enough, I always see him as a bit of "Tommy Atkins" type of guy.

4 hours ago, cornish sam said:

When I was in Hitchin a couple of months ago I did have to do a double take when walking past their tourist information centre as they has a load of norwich scarves and stuff in the window.... turns out they weren't Norwich...

Hitchin has a tourist information centre? What the hell for?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Seemingly selling knock off Norwich gear...

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

Seemingly selling knock off Norwich gear...

Wondered who it was that was buying up all of the old stock a few years ago in that sale at the Castle Mall that caused a tadoo as folks were shovelling sacks of stuff away only to pop it online at RRP... turns out it was the Hitchin tourist information! 

Also, slightly silly question perhaps... when did it become the norm to have a club badge? And who was the first team to put one on their shirt? 

Edited by chicken

58 minutes ago, chicken said:

Also, slightly silly question perhaps... when did it become the norm to have a club badge? And who was the first team to put one on their shirt? 

Origins are discussed here.

Screenshot_20240501_215311_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Origins are discussed here.

Screenshot_20240501_215311_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Interesting. So it wasn't at all regular, even amongst a squad for a fair while then? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

It’s a great town, don’t ask me what it’s famous for as I couldn’t tell you lol 

Edited by Yobocop

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I think the extract above comes from this:

https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/sites/default/files/associated_downloads/The Beautiful Badge Sample.pdf

As for regular use, even in the late 1960s and early 1970s clubs were not all using crests on their shirts

https://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/flr-volume-five

Some brilliant debate and discussion on here, love seeing some of the old stuff

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Some brilliant debate and discussion on here, love seeing some of the old stuff

Yes, fab posts from @shefcanary and @NewNestCarrow - thanks so much. Didn't realise the canary went back that far. And love the idea of Luton being the strawplaiters.

• Thanks 2