Satriales

Wagner to make wholesale changes against Brum?

I think the side will be pretty consistent with what we've seen. Early subs for the key men providing we aren't getting absolutely stonked.

I'd not be surprised to see Rowe start mind you.

As far as I can see goal difference doesn't come into it as far as Brum are concerned no matter what Plymouth are doing.

If they were to say go 2-0 up would they pile men forward in order to get a 3rd or 4th and risk getting hit on the break? Or would they shut up shop? My guess the latter. Might even be a stand-off whereby we accept defeat and neither team crosses the halfway line.

Hull might well beat Plymouth but I'm quite relaxed about our game tbh.

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I think it summed up what Wagner thinks of SVH last game when Barnes came off and got replaced by a non striker.

Yes, it's a worry for me, you need to have a striker on the bench that you can bring on when you're looking for a goal, even if it's someone who hasn't found their feet yet.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As far as I can see goal difference doesn't come into it as far as Brum are concerned no matter what Plymouth are doing.

If they were to say go 2-0 up would they pile men forward in order to get a 3rd or 4th and risk getting hit on the break? Or would they shut up shop? My guess the latter. Might even be a stand-off whereby we accept defeat and neither team crosses the halfway line.

This is a very good point which I hadnt really thought about. If any win is good enough for Birmingham then they'd be mad to push forward looking for more goals if they were 2 up.

That's eased my panicking....a bit!

Edited by rock bus

Wagner strikes me as someone who likes to keep players match fit and within the tempo of the team, I couldn't see him making wholesale changes as you then risk a bit of rust setting in if we have players who've not played in 2 weeks going into the playoffs.

Training for 2 weeks without a match isn't as motivating as being in a competitive match in front of a live crowd.

Brum have all the pressure, my only concern is that Wagner would be happy walking away with a tight 1-0 loss with no injuries so both sides are happy on the day.  As fans we look at comparisons with Ipswich, Leeds and Saints and pick the 'best' path - but truthfully there's no easy matches there.

Having as many players fit going into the playoffs will be Wagner's main ambition I think, so expect a very tight game.  I can't see it being a ding-dong affair as Brum are the ones under pressure and wouldn't want to fall a goal behind.

44 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes, it's a worry for me, you need to have a striker on the bench that you can bring on when you're looking for a goal, even if it's someone who hasn't found their feet yet.

Norwich just love signing players for everything other than what's crying out in the short term. Clearly SVH is a longer term target who's fitness levels were way off where they needed to be and you can't really see him playing much part for the remaining season 

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

This is a very good point which I hadnt really thought about. If any win is good enough for Birmingham then they'd be mad to push forward looking for more goals if they were 2 up.

That's eased my panicking....a bit!

Lump on it mate you can get up to 100/1 Norwich not to be in the playoffs and 1/250 is the best you can get Norwich to be in the playoffs. 
A good double would be to include Hull @ 33/1 to score 5+ goals.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we lost worse than 0-2 for exactly the reasons you say.

It's Hull stuffing Plymouth that is the more likely way of that GD swing happening.

BCFC 2-0 NCFC

Hull 6-0 Plymouth 

That sort of thing. Obviously not likely,  but possible. But we can sort it our end by getting at least a point. 

On 29/04/2024 at 15:52, Branston Pickle said:

Definitely makes sense to give players a rest if any are carrying a knock - maybe give SvH a run out instead of Josh.

Rowe didn’t really look on it, so not sure whether that means he needs a bit more of a rest, or more minutes on the pitch?

Rowe's agent has put all sorts of thoughts in his head about his summer move.

Never mind Hull, it's WBA we have to better. Way back I said it was a possibilty (8 points behind). It's now in out hands, and I would suffest that over two legs S'oton woud be easier than Leeds.

If we get knocked out in the final then so be it. It has been a fantastic second half to the season, and would be another day out at Wembley. Losing in the semis now after hauling us up from 17th would be a killer.