Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Happy St George's day

Posted (edited)

I'd rather a new bank holiday late October - Trafalgar day ?

Edited by Yellow Fever

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

How is it not fun? You've got a day scheduled for rest and recreation - how on earth can it not be fun?

So what’s wrong with using a day that already has some meaning behind it, rather than a bland nothing picked out of the air? 

50 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree that all patron saints should be treated equally. Not sure why we celebrate any of the feckers, to be honest.

'We' don't. Three of the home nations do with no fuss; in one it's frowned upon for some reason.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

So what’s wrong with using a day that already has some meaning behind it, rather than a bland nothing picked out of the air? 

Does it really have any meaning? We're talking about a "patron saint" who lived two thousand miles away whose name adorns another country entirely.

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

'We' don't. Three of the home nations do with no fuss; in one it's frowned upon for some reason.

Saint David was Welsh. Saint Andrew baffles me a bit, considering he's also managed to be the patron saint of Romania as well, and Saint Patrick was in Ireland for plenty of time and died there. So personally I understand two of them, but find Saints Andrew and George odd.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Does it really have any meaning? We're talking about a "patron saint" who lived two thousand miles away whose name adorns another country entirely.

Saint David was Welsh. Saint Andrew baffles me a bit, considering he's also managed to be the patron saint of Romania as well, and Saint Patrick was in Ireland for plenty of time and died there. So personally I understand two of them, but find Saints Andrew and George odd.

What's your view on the German day of Unity? For or against?

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yeah, using historic old battles is not a bad idea, and I'd say the summer and winter solstice should be worth considering as bank holidays too. I'd also make any election day a bank holiday too.

27 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'd get behind that.  We just need to convince the Guardian readers that Nelson was a trailblazer for disability rights by proving that disabled people can be shaggers and heroes as well as, if not better, than anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, using historic old battles is not a bad idea, and I'd say the summer and winter solstice should be worth considering as bank holidays too. I'd also make any election day a bank holiday too.

Seriously? Celebrating national identity based on victories in war two centuries ago is better than simply having a day of unity more based around the origins of our flag than any real interest in the patron saint themselves? Not sure I would be happy with making the focal point of our national identity a historic war with what's now a close ally.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I'd get behind that.  We just need to convince the Guardian readers that Nelson was a trailblazer for disability rights by proving that disabled people can be shaggers and heroes as well as, if not better, than anyone.

All but a Norfolk lad too...

Edited by Yellow Fever
Scallywag day ?

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What's your view on the German day of Unity? For or against?

A historic day on German land where a split country was finally reunified on October 3rd, so understandable (as opposed to November 9th when the Berlin Wall fell down, as that coincided with quite a few events that were anything but glorious in German history, such as the defeat of the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923 or indeed the start of Kristallnacht in 1938).

As said, St George's Day and St. Andrew's Day are bewildering from my perspective as their patron saints didn't seem to have anything to do with the country in question. At least you can say the Day of German Unity is a pretty seminal (and indeed somewhat unique as reunification of a country is a rare event worldwide) date in German history.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

If St. George arrived in the UK would he be put on a plane to Rwanda?

Depends if he formally applied to immigrate with respect to the rules and/or had a genuine claim for asylum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It took a page and a half, but we finally got to the stereotypical “why are we celebrating a 2000 year old Greek” trope.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

A historic day on German land where a split country was finally reunified on October 3rd, so understandable (as opposed to November 9th when the Berlin Wall fell down, as that coincided with quite a few events that were anything but glorious in German history, such as the defeat of the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923 or indeed the start of Kristallnacht in 1938).

As said, St George's Day and St. Andrew's Day are bewildering from my perspective as their patron saints didn't seem to have anything to do with the country in question. At least you can say the Day of German Unity is a pretty seminal (and indeed somewhat unique as reunification of a country is a rare event worldwide) date in German history.

Really doesn't matter. The Saint George's cross is our national flag. Few people care about the religious significance. It's simply the association with the symbol that identifies our country that makes it the obvious preferred choice for a day of national unity celebrating what makes our culture unique.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Depends if he formally applied to immigrate with respect to the rules and/or had a genuine claim for asylum.

He was executed for his faith so he’d probably have a genuine case for claiming asylum 

• Like 1

Just now, Fen Canary said:

He was executed for his faith so he’d probably have a genuine case for claiming asylum 

Good point. So I guess the answer to Squit's trolling is 'no'.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Enjoy your day wet wipes x

spacer.png

Hilariously, there's a good market in Chinese replicas because that cross is ironed on, so people are removing them and putting on red and white ones instead. I wonder how much money the FA is losing? Oops. Bit of an own goal that!

I wouldn't say that's even recognisably a George cross. It's just a multi-coloured cross designed by a colour-blind graphic designer.

Would love to see how it went down in the US if Nike screwed around with the stars and stripes like that on a sporting kit.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Probably gay pride as well with 'that' kiss. 🙃

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Good point. So I guess the answer to Squit's trolling is 'no'.

The answer is 'yes'. The governments new law would process his claim in Rwanda and leave him there or try and return him to his country of origin.

You are stupid.

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Let the arguments begin...

Job well done Frank. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Truth is we're not a Catholic country and the 'feast days' have long been forgotten. Few know the actual facts beyond the medieval reinvention centuries later of George and the Dragon. The day for most of us passes by in ignorance! 

As a young lad (60's )I seem to recall St.Georges day parades in the 'cubs/scouts' etc. Not fun at all  😞.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The answer is 'yes'. The governments new law would process his claim in Rwanda and leave him there or try and return him to his country of origin.

You are stupid.

Regardless of where they were while claims are processed, the claims would still be fully processed and subject to appeals under British law independent of political considerations.

In the meantime, five more have drowned crossing the channel thanks to a human trafficking business selling on the fact that once any undocumented migrant gets to British shores, the UK can do nothing to remove them against their will, whether they're genuinely fleeing persecution or not.

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I knew the Paddy’s did their day, I was under the impression that St Andrew’s was encouraged rather than being an official bank holiday in the same way as the established ones though? 

Official bank holiday since 2006 apparently. 

We should have bank Holidays to celebrate pivotal days in our history. I propose 14th Oct 1066.

Happy William the Bar$Ted Day.

Anybody said happy birthday to William Shakespeare or commiserations to his family? 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Regardless of where they were while claims are processed, the claims would still be fully processed and subject to appeals under British law independent of political considerations.

You could've just typed 'I'm sorry, you were correct'.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They are on a Thursday now precisely to ensure that people aren't smashed when they cast their vote!

(Insert hilarious comment on previous election results here)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

They are on a Thursday now precisely to ensure that people aren't smashed when they cast their vote!

(Insert hilarious comment on previous election results here)

I'm sure Herodotus and the Persians would have some fun with this. 😉

• Like 1