Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

The Anti Legacy Fans Agenda

Ladies and gentlemen here is the latest stick to be waved which will shortly be screwed around in the direction of Norwich City and a certain employee no doubt.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, essex canary said:

As per the WSC magazine editorial. The last column explains it well.

20240421_093357.jpg

Mildly psychotic ac****ant eventually reads something that anyone with half a brain already knew ,and posts it as news.

whoops! i spelt accontant incorrecly, slliy , silly me.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Regardless of your views  of the original poster, the WSC editorial makes a valid and important point.

Fans like us, who have followed, supported and bailed out our Clubs over many years are now being priced out of attending games. The Clubs prefer more lucrative daytrippers who spend money in the Club shop and in the stadium.

As WSC says, "Football grounds need not be transformed into theme parks selling a matchday experience." But how can we stop them?

OTBC 

22 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ladies and gentlemen here is the latest stick to be waved which will shortly be screwed around in the direction of Norwich City and a certain employee no doubt.

Strange that just like Liverpool we had a 2% season ticket increase that pays a star players wages for around 1 month. Then again not strange at all.

22 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mildly psychotic ac****ant eventually reads something that anyone with half a brain already knew ,and posts it as news.

whoops! i spelt accontant incorrecly, slliy , silly me.

Indeed.

Is S****horpe still ok to write?  ‘Profanity checkers really are a bit crap.

9 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It's a good article, actually. Worth a read. 

Well, yes and no.  It tells those  with sense nothing they didn’t know already.

Some saw the writing on the wall when the new PL was mooted, but were largely written off/ignored.  I guess if we don’t like it we just put up with it, or can always do something else with our hard earned cash. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It tells those  with sense nothing they didn’t know already.

I agree the general point - that fans watching on TV have been prioritised over match-going fans - is old news.

But the specific suggestion in the antepenultimate and penultimate paragraphs that part of the reason for the season-ticket increases is to price out regular, 'legacy' fans, and therefore open up more lucrative casual seats for overseas fans – that was new to me, and I think I have some sense...

Didn't seem much more than speculation from WSC, to be honest, but nonetheless it would be an interesting departure if true: that the clubs are trying to engineer a new, more lucrative (but possibly less supportive?) fanbase. (A version of that seems to be what the binners did for their tickets to the Carrow road derby: didn't work out that well for them...)

Not sure about the NCFC perspective. There have been some comments on here that our huge number of season-ticket holders makes it more difficult for new fans to get the bug, but that's not really the same thing. And I would assume that our match-day income is a much more significant part of our turnover than it is for the big six, though I'm not convinced that's a conversation I want to get into...

38 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Strange that just like Liverpool we had a 2% season ticket increase that pays a star players wages for around 1 month. Then again not strange at all.

Yep as i said this will be scewed towards Norwich City and it has with this very next post.

Bingo !

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yep as i said this will be scewed towards Norwich City and it has with this very next post.

Bingo !

Lieutenant Columbo would have picked up on that evidence before he switched the kettle on.

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Essex canary makes a post . 3 posters leap on him. 

Happy Sunday everyone 😎

Hardly a ‘leap’.  As Til said, it was clear there would be an anti-NCFC follow-up angle, and it turned up soon enough.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Hardly a ‘leap’.  As Til said, it was clear there would be an anti-NCFC follow-up angle, and it turned up soon enough.  

Thanks

But I’ll stick with leap. 

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I agree the general point - that fans watching on TV have been prioritised over match-going fans - is old news.

But the specific suggestion in the antepenultimate and penultimate paragraphs that part of the reason for the season-ticket increases is to price out regular, 'legacy' fans, and therefore open up more lucrative casual seats for overseas fans – that was new to me, and I think I have some sense...

Didn't seem much more than speculation from WSC, to be honest, but nonetheless it would be an interesting departure if true: that the clubs are trying to engineer a new, more lucrative (but possibly less supportive?) fanbase. (A version of that seems to be what the binners did for their tickets to the Carrow road derby: didn't work out that well for them...)

Not sure about the NCFC perspective. There have been some comments on here that our huge number of season-ticket holders makes it more difficult for new fans to get the bug, but that's not really the same thing. And I would assume that our match-day income is a much more significant part of our turnover than it is for the big six, though I'm not convinced that's a conversation I want to get into...

It's part of the result of several years ago, it being shared that the big clubs (this was pre-pandemic too) did not need to sell tickets to run. As in, the TV money by far outweighed ticket sales.

Ultimately this is why the big clubs around Europe were talking about a European Super League, again, pre-pandemic. The reason being is that a hard core of fans would still go to away games, and away games would attract a world wide audience as some of them might be more accessible to other parts of the world (cheaper flights, direct flights, Man Utd fans in France etc etc etc). And generally about growing the global fan base.

The writing was really there when Beckham was sold to Real Madrid for what was quickly realised to be a pittance as it is said that international shirt sales pretty much overnight made Real their money back

Ethics is turning into this forums version of the way back machine.

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Thanks

But I’ll stick with leap. 

You can, but it's still wrong as it has been proven to be correct. It'd be lovely if you could point to a thread by Essex that doesn't turn out to be an attempt to stick the knife into the club no matter how loosely it isn't related at all.

Posted (edited)

I made no comment on the content of the post. 

Have another read of what I said . 

Edit . Don’t bother . It really is as dull as ditchwater so nip off  and do something more  interesting. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Is 'The anti legacy fans agenda' the follow up to 'The Tortured Poets Department'.

You do know that there is an accontant who is writing  a book called 'I'm only doing this for everyone elses benefit..no Agenda', this is a follow up to his 2002 title 'I only want to help the Club'....which though released as an autobiography, turned out to be total and utter fiction.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Indeed.

Is S****horpe still ok to write?  ‘Profanity checkers really are a bit crap.

Scnuthorpe should ok, as is Sconthorpe. Where theres a will....... there's a relative, and a solicitor...and an accontant!!

Edited by wcorkcanary
Spillin
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, essex canary said:

Lieutenant Columbo would have picked up on that evidence before he switched the kettle on.

Columbo has picked up on the fact you have a five page e-mail doing the rounds aimed at the club and the ombudsmen regarding your pet subject yet again.

There will be peace in the Middle East and the eradication of world poverty before you get what you want.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, yes and no.  It tells those  with sense nothing they didn’t know already.

Some saw the writing on the wall when the new PL was mooted, but were largely written off/ignored.  I guess if we don’t like it we just put up with it, or can always do something else with our hard earned cash. 

The article on the back of the Observer Sports Section today suggests the Victorians got it right in terms of the economic rewards of football between owners, supporters and players. Every subsequent decision has been a retrograde step leading to where we are now.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You appear to be a very sensible poster.

To fill in 1 or 2 gaps though. NCFC'S average for the past 2 sets of accounts was 10%. In a non-parachute Championship season it would be 30%. 

In the latter they are happy with a large number of season ticket holders including a high proportion of long distance ones who inevitably leave empty seats for midweek matches. They, or at least some of the influential personalities, aspire to be forever in the Premier League and look longingly at this Agenda.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Columbo has picked up on the fact you have a five page e-mail doing the rounds aimed at the club and the ombudsmen regarding your pet subject yet again.

They will be peace in the Middle East and the eradication of world poverty before you get what you want.

There must be something wrong for any such suggestion to emerge on a public forum.

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

How does Zoe feel about it though? 

Indeed. Interesting that some Wrexham fans are berating their Club for not issuing a statement on the FA cup issue. The same applies to NCFC doesn't it? The issue should be what the broad sweep of the fans or members want whilst accepting their opinion will not be unanimous.

If only some of those that get free season tickets, could make voluntary payments, then the rest of us wouldn’t have to pay any extra money.

• Like 1