Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Non alcoholic

For the first time ever I've had a non alcoholic drink and enjoyed it, usually it's absolute rubbish. 

Guinness zero, you hardly notice any difference 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They've come on a long way since Barbican and Kaliber.😄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

For the first time ever I've had a non alcoholic drink and enjoyed it, usually it's absolute rubbish. 

Guinness zero, you hardly notice any difference 

You must have been mashed 24/7 😉

Alternatively, if you're just talking about substituting an alcoholic drink for a zero alcohol drink there are some pretty good options now. 0% Ghost ship is pretty good too if you drink ales.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Alternatively, if you're just talking about substituting an alcoholic drink for a zero alcohol drink there are some pretty good options now. 0% Ghost ship is pretty good too if you drink ales.

The Brewdog 0% is ok too, but they all feel like there’s something missing for me. Alcohol probably. It was the same with decaffeinated coffee on the odd occasion I drank that, just not quite right.

Its a shame because the older I get, the worse even a couple of alcoholic drinks make me feel. ☹️

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The Brewdog 0% is ok too, but they all feel like there’s something missing for me. Alcohol probably. It was the same with decaffeinated coffee on the odd occasion I drank that, just not quite right.

Its a shame because the older I get, the worse even a couple of alcoholic drinks make me feel. ☹️

Brewdog would be ok if their beers didn’t all taste of grapefruit.  I agree with previous commenters that if you want a non-alcoholic bitter then Ghostship (technically low alcohol as it’s labelled as 0.5%) is the probably the best, but without doubt the best alcohol-free beer by a long way is Guinness 0% which, on a hot day, I could happily drink two or three pints of.

Posted (edited)

Reminds me of my favourite half-marathon, namely Polmaraton Praski in Warsaw, Poland. Last two years I've done it they've had non-alcoholic beer and said it's isotonic to try and market it to the sports set. Think I saw something similar in either Dresden or the Spreewald too when racing there.

Wasn't bad either. Ran a half-marathon after necking a can of it. Think it was alcohol-free Zywiec.

That said, I've never been much of a drinker at all - never been drunk in my life. 99 times out of 100, if it's not an ice-cold Jever or Weihenstephaner, I'm not drinking it.

EDIT: Agree with @Nuff Said re. decaffeinated coffee or indeed tea. Can't drink that stuff. Although I prefer black tea with milk and Earl Grey neat.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I had to stop putting 3 sugars in my tea because of my blood pressure, and also switched to decaffeinated as I was having palpitations. Can’t tell the difference between decaf and normal, and without the sugar I now realise that I hate the taste of tea. Need something to dunk my bourbons into though so I’m still drinking it 😳

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I had to stop putting 3 sugars in my tea because of my blood pressure, and also switched to decaffeinated as I was having palpitations. Can’t tell the difference between decaf and normal, and without the sugar I now realise that I hate the taste of tea. Need something to dunk my bourbons into though so I’m still drinking it 😳

I’m kind of the opposite, I always used to drink weak tea until I had to give up coffee. Now I love Clipper tea (green box in the supermarket, tea fans) and I ideally let it mash, as they say round here, for five minutes. Drinking some now!

46 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m kind of the opposite, I always used to drink weak tea until I had to give up coffee. Now I love Clipper tea (green box in the supermarket, tea fans) and I ideally let it mash, as they say round here, for five minutes. Drinking some now!

Clipper decaff (in the blue box) is also pretty decent.

• Like 1

Maybe this belongs in the “too dull for conversation” thread, but for twenty years or more, I’ve been waking up in the night with headaches that seem to get worse lying down, so I’ve had to get up, take painkillers and wait for them to subside until I think I’ll be able to get back to sleep. They’ve steadily got worse over time and I’ve often ended up with migraines the next day.

One night I was miserably surfing the net and came across the term “hypnic headaches”. The cure for these, counter-intuitively, is to drink caffeine at bed. Since then I’ve had a strong cup of caffeinated tea at bedtime and have never had a similar headache. Weird but true. So no decaf for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you going to Preston on Saturday? If I see somebody drinking tea while everyone else is on the beer I’ll say hello 🤣

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Are you going to Preston on Saturday? If I see somebody drinking tea while everyone else is on the beer I’ll say hello 🤣

Sadly not, two games in five days was too many for a pass out.

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sadly not, two games in five days was too many for a pass out.

Shame, I enjoy going to Deepdale-some good results there in recent years.

The best low/non-alcoholic beers IMHO are...

Punk IPA

GUINNESS 

Adnams Ghost Ship

All hard to tell the difference, except if you've had a couple of 'real' ones to start with. Then you'll know 😁 

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2024 at 11:38, Thumbbass said:

Ghost Ship 0.5 really is the best I've tried

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2024 at 15:15, Nuff Said said:

Maybe this belongs in the “too dull for conversation” thread, but for twenty years or more, I’ve been waking up in the night with headaches that seem to get worse lying down, so I’ve had to get up, take painkillers and wait for them to subside until I think I’ll be able to get back to sleep. They’ve steadily got worse over time and I’ve often ended up with migraines the next day.

One night I was miserably surfing the net and came across the term “hypnic headaches”. The cure for these, counter-intuitively, is to drink caffeine at bed. Since then I’ve had a strong cup of caffeinated tea at bedtime and have never had a similar headache. Weird but true. So no decaf for me!

Strange but interesting! Google says cause unknown - any idea what might have triggered it?

Edited by Aggy

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Strange but interesting! Google says cause unknown - any idea what might have triggered it?

No, headaches run in the family, so possibly something genetic. But it was literally a miracle cure. From disturbed nights and crippling headaches to nothing overnight. And it doesn’t disturb my sleep either, which you think might happen. (The need to p*ss is a different topic ☹️)

• Like 2

On 11/04/2024 at 15:15, Nuff Said said:

I saw my ex-wife the other day-she’s 60 years old, never been remotely trendy but I noticed that she’d had a fairly unusual daith ear piercing-apparently it’s to help alleviate her migraines-possibly something to think about if you want an alternative to drinking coffee last thing at night?

• Thanks 1