Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Non alcoholic

For the first time ever I've had a non alcoholic drink and enjoyed it, usually it's absolute rubbish.Ā 

Guinness zero, you hardly notice any differenceĀ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They've come on a long way since Barbican and Kaliber.šŸ˜„

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

For the first time ever I've had a non alcoholic drink and enjoyed it, usually it's absolute rubbish.Ā 

Guinness zero, you hardly notice any differenceĀ 

You must have been mashed 24/7Ā šŸ˜‰

Alternatively, if you're just talking about substituting an alcoholic drink for a zero alcohol drink there are some pretty good options now. 0% Ghost ship is pretty good too if you drink ales.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Alternatively, if you're just talking about substituting an alcoholic drink for a zero alcohol drink there are some pretty good options now. 0% Ghost ship is pretty good too if you drink ales.

The Brewdog 0% is ok too, but they all feel like thereā€™s something missing for me. Alcohol probably. It was the same with decaffeinated coffee on the odd occasion I drank that, just not quite right.

Its a shame because the older I get, the worse even a couple of alcoholic drinks make me feel. ā˜¹ļø

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The Brewdog 0% is ok too, but they all feel like thereā€™s something missing for me. Alcohol probably. It was the same with decaffeinated coffee on the odd occasion I drank that, just not quite right.

Its a shame because the older I get, the worse even a couple of alcoholic drinks make me feel. ā˜¹ļø

Brewdog would be ok if their beers didnā€™t all taste of grapefruit. Ā I agree with previous commenters thatĀ if you want a non-alcoholic bitter then Ghostship (technically low alcohol as itā€™s labelled as 0.5%) is the probably the best, but without doubt the best alcohol-free beer by a long way is Guinness 0% which, on a hotĀ day, I could happily drink two or three pints of.

Posted (edited)

Reminds me of my favourite half-marathon, namely Polmaraton Praski in Warsaw, Poland. Last two years I've done it they've had non-alcoholic beer and said it's isotonic to try and market it to the sports set. Think I saw something similar in either Dresden or the Spreewald too when racing there.

Wasn't bad either. Ran a half-marathon after necking a can of it. Think it was alcohol-free Zywiec.

That said, I've never been much of a drinker at all - never been drunk in my life. 99 times out of 100, if it's not an ice-cold Jever or Weihenstephaner, I'm not drinking it.

EDIT: Agree with @Nuff SaidĀ re. decaffeinated coffee or indeed tea. Can't drink that stuff. Although I prefer black tea with milk and Earl Grey neat.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I had to stop putting 3 sugars in my tea because of my blood pressure, and also switched to decaffeinated as I was having palpitations. Canā€™t tell the difference between decaf and normal, and without the sugar I now realise that I hate the taste of tea. Need something to dunk my bourbons into though so Iā€™m still drinking it šŸ˜³

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I had to stop putting 3 sugars in my tea because of my blood pressure, and also switched to decaffeinated as I was having palpitations. Canā€™t tell the difference between decaf and normal, and without the sugar I now realise that I hate the taste of tea. Need something to dunk my bourbons into though so Iā€™m still drinking it šŸ˜³

Iā€™m kind of the opposite, I always used to drink weak tea until I had to give up coffee. Now I love Clipper tea (green box in the supermarket, tea fans) and I ideally let it mash, as they sayĀ round here, for five minutes. Drinking some now!

Ā 

46 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Iā€™m kind of the opposite, I always used to drink weak tea until I had to give up coffee. Now I love Clipper tea (green box in the supermarket, tea fans) and I ideally let it mash, as they sayĀ round here, for five minutes. Drinking some now!

Ā 

Clipper decaff (in the blue box) is also pretty decent.

• Like 1

Maybe this belongs in the ā€œtoo dull for conversationā€ thread, but for twenty years or more, Iā€™ve been waking up in the night with headaches that seem to get worse lying down, so Iā€™ve had to get up, take painkillers and wait for them to subside until I think Iā€™ll be able to get back to sleep. Theyā€™ve steadily got worse over time and Iā€™ve often ended up with migraines the next day.

One night I was miserably surfing the net and came across the term ā€œhypnic headachesā€. The cure for these, counter-intuitively,Ā is to drink caffeine at bed. Since then Iā€™ve had a strong cup of caffeinated tea at bedtime and have never had a similar headache. Weird but true. SoĀ no decaf for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Ā 

Are you going to Preston on Saturday? If I see somebody drinking tea while everyone else is on the beer Iā€™ll say hello šŸ¤£

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Are you going to Preston on Saturday? If I see somebody drinking tea while everyone else is on the beer Iā€™ll say hello šŸ¤£

Sadly not, two games in five days was too many for a pass out.

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sadly not, two games in five days was too many for a pass out.

Shame, I enjoy going to Deepdale-some good results there in recent years.

The best low/non-alcoholic beers IMHO are...

Punk IPA

GUINNESSĀ 

Adnams Ghost Ship

All hard to tell the difference, except if you've had a couple of 'real' ones to start with. Then you'll know šŸ˜Ā 

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2024 at 11:38, Thumbbass said:

Ghost Ship 0.5 really is the best I've tried

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2024 at 15:15, Nuff Said said:

Maybe this belongs in the ā€œtoo dull for conversationā€ thread, but for twenty years or more, Iā€™ve been waking up in the night with headaches that seem to get worse lying down, so Iā€™ve had to get up, take painkillers and wait for them to subside until I think Iā€™ll be able to get back to sleep. Theyā€™ve steadily got worse over time and Iā€™ve often ended up with migraines the next day.

One night I was miserably surfing the net and came across the term ā€œhypnic headachesā€. The cure for these, counter-intuitively,Ā is to drink caffeine at bed. Since then Iā€™ve had a strong cup of caffeinated tea at bedtime and have never had a similar headache. Weird but true. SoĀ no decaf for me!

Strange but interesting! Google says cause unknown - any idea what might have triggered it?

Edited by Aggy

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Strange but interesting! Google says cause unknown - any idea what might have triggered it?

No, headaches run in the family, so possibly something genetic. But it was literally a miracle cure. From disturbed nights and crippling headaches to nothing overnight. And it doesnā€™t disturb my sleep either, which you think might happen. (The need to p*ss is a different topic ā˜¹ļø)

• Like 2

On 11/04/2024 at 15:15, Nuff Said said:

I saw my ex-wife the other day-sheā€™s 60 years old, never been remotely trendy but I noticed that sheā€™d had a fairly unusual daith ear piercing-apparently itā€™s to help alleviate her migraines-possibly something to think about if you want an alternative to drinking coffee last thing at night?

• Thanks 1