shefcanary

Play-offs / Euros / Copa America - next season prep gone!

I posted the following in the thread on Josh, but it seems to be worth wider consideration.

I was reminded today by a post on The Athletic looking at the form of current USMNT members that if we go all the way to the play-off final this season (scheduled 27 May), Josh is likely to then be playing in the Copa America tournament from June 20 to July 14. I assume Nunez will also be there, and whisper it, but also potentially Sara!

With Gunn, McLean and Hanley representing Scotland, Fassnacht for Switzerland, potentially van Hooijdonk The Netherlands and an outside bet for Sainz for Spain, all at the Euro's which covers a similar timeframe as well.

That is a probable 6, possible 9 players who whatever league we are in next season will get one weeks' break from football this summer (assuming international squad call ups from 5 June). It also puts them once again in a position to show off their talents on a wider stage.  

That's going to really test Knapper and whoever is our head coach for next season.

I can't decide if we are therefore blessed or burdened. We know what happened the last time we got promoted to the EPL without much pre-season prep time after a play-off final - this is going to be a lot worse potentially.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Shocker, and it won't be just us. Makes a mockery of them for us. The FL should re-schedule if at all possible now.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I posted the following in the thread on Josh, but it seems to be worth wider consideration.

I was reminded today by a post on The Athletic looking at the form of current USMNT members that if we go all the way to the play-off final this season (scheduled 27 May), Josh is likely to then be playing in the Copa America tournament from June 20 to July 14. I assume Nunez will also be there, and whisper it, but also potentially Sara!

With Gunn, McLean and Hanley representing Scotland, Fassnacht for Switzerland, potentially van Hooijdonk The Netherlands and an outside bet for Sainz for Spain, all at the Euro's which covers a similar timeframe as well.

That is a probable 6, possible 9 players who whatever league we are in next season will get one weeks' break from football this summer (assuming international squad call ups from 5 June). It also puts them once again in a position to show off their talents on a wider stage.  

That's going to really test Knapper and whoever is our head coach for next season.

I can't decide if we are therefore blessed or burdened. We know what happened the last time we got promoted to the EPL without much pre-season prep time after a play-off final - this is going to be a lot worse potentially.

Without being negative there is also the risk of injuries

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Josh is likely to then be playing in the Copa America tournament from June 20 to July 14. I assume Nunez will also be there, and whisper it, but also potentially Sara!

Of the countries you mention there, only Brazil, Spain and Netherlands are likely to go deep in either of those tournaments and, while I'd be very happy to be corrected, I'd be very surprised if Sara, SvH or Sainz are going to be selected for their national teams. So our players will be getting a slightly longer break than your dates suggest.

Not saying it's not a problem, but not sure it's quite as bad as you're suggesting - and of course we're very unlikely to be the only team affected, even if, which I guess is the worst-case scenario, we reach the play-off final but lose it.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

33 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Shocker, and it won't be just us. Makes a mockery of them for us. The FL should re-schedule if at all possible now.

Seriously? 

I really don't think we need to worry about this! Scotland and Switzerland won't be going deep into the Euros, Sainz won't be involved for Spain and the Netherlands must be in a right state if Van Hooijdonk is playing.

Sara and Sarge won't be here anyway unless we are promoted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I assume Nunez will also be there, and whisper it, but also potentially Sara!

Sorry but absolutely no chance Brazil have declined to the extent that they would select a Championship player for their national team for a major tournament.

Douglas Luiz has had 39 minutes of football for Brazil in the past 2.5 years, and Andrews Pereira hasn't had a cap since 2018 despite impressing in the Premier League for Fulham.

We're going to win the play-offs, are we?

We will probably need to figure out a way to win matches away from Carrow Road first.

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Will any of our players be playing in the Olympics?

The schedule is 25th Jul to 10th Aug.

This would be the worst one, as it clashes with the start of the season, but we should be fine.

The only two first team players who could possibly feature I believe are Sainz, but I highly doubt he'd be selected for Spain's Under-23s as he has not featured for Spain at any level since the Under-19s in 2020, and Sargent, who could potentially go as an overage player but would be more likely to get a senior call-up for the Copa America instead.

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Indeed - that PL season was the one where we made a much better fist of staying up than in 19/20 and 21/22!!