Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Short socks.....

Anyone else have an irrational annoyance to this? 

Just watching wolves/SheffU and one of the Sheffield players goes down holding his shin after a challenge, then stands up to reveal rolled down socks with tiny little shinnies on. 

I just find myself getting annoyed by every player that i see that does this 🤷🤷

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Anyone else have an irrational annoyance to this? 

Just watching wolves/SheffU and one of the Sheffield players goes down holding his shin after a challenge, then stands up to reveal rolled down socks with tiny little shinnies on. 

I just find myself getting annoyed by every player that i see that does this 🤷🤷

It just means we're old/old fashioned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish it was allowed/I had thought of it to be honest. Big shin pads are uncomfortable. Mind you, they did actually, you know, protect your shins where apparently now that’s not a priority lol.

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This is what I feared to be honest 🤣🤣

It is weird though. When I was a kid playing football, I was quite nervous about getting my shin smashed from a bad tackle. And yet, I wasnt really too bothered about pulling a hamstring or metatarsal. Head injuries definitely weren't on the adgenda.

It’s the cutting little holes in the socks that irritates me. If it helped I’m sure the sportswear manufacturers would make the socks with holes in them.  

I would ban it, and now I’m ranting, I’d make any kind of hairband have to match the kit. Also, players have to wear mittens to stop them grabbing shirts. 

If making systematic poor decisions against your own interests is a vital sign of youth, let’s plead guilty to decrepitude 

13 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Bring back tie ups and black boots! (laughing emoji)

I got asked to play in an eleven aside on grass for the first time in about twelve years a couple of months ago.  Having decided that my old boots were basically knackered I went out to buy a new pair.  It was surprisingly difficult to find anything that I wouldn't term hi-vis which - as a pushing fifty year old centre half - I really didn't think I could carry off with a straight face ...

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Bring back tie ups and black boots! (laughing emoji)

....anyone else remember the numbered tabs that Leeds wore on their socks, back in the early/mid seventies?😜

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

I got asked to play in an eleven aside on grass for the first time in about twelve years a couple of months ago.  Having decided that my old boots were basically knackered I went out to buy a new pair.  It was surprisingly difficult to find anything that I wouldn't term hi-vis which - as a pushing fifty year old centre half - I really didn't think I could carry off with a straight face ...

Agree. There's no way I'd ever be persuaded to parade my worn out MOT failure of a body to play a game now unless I could find a pair of plain black boots to wear. Even Gola ones! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, splendidrush said:

....anyone else remember the numbered tabs that Leeds wore on their socks, back in the early/mid seventies?😜

Yes. That and the tracksuit tops they all had to warm up in with their names on the backs. Don Revie and Admiral were something of a team themselves, little wonder England went all Admiral soon after he took over.

20 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yes I do find this ridiculous.

Clearly want really small and light shinpads for a marginal performance enhancement, a bit like swimmers and cyclists who wax/shave, and the other thing footballers now do in cutting holes in their socks for blood flow.

Will it take an uber elite footballer to get a career ending injury after an impact with their shin to get the FA/UEFA/FIFA to take action to introduce a minimum shin pad size? There is a rule that you must wear shinpads, but no rule about size or thickness. 

And kids will be copying this trend, which is more concerning, as I suppose with pros its their silly risk, and their insurers issue if they are happy to insure them.

17 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Here you go, £55, sorted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395209012350

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Haha 2

If the socks are mild compression socks then that should improve blood flow anyway. Tiny shinguards are silly, and if any winger's coming on with fancy boots and I happen to be the opposing full-back/wing-back, then they're getting a nice, red repaint.

But I was always that short, gnarly, aggressive full-back with a bit of an attitude problem who liked to plant an opposing winger into the dugout early doors.

20 hours ago, FCC said:

It’s the cutting little holes in the socks that irritates me. If it helped I’m sure the sportswear manufacturers would make the socks with holes in them.  

I would ban it, and now I’m ranting, I’d make any kind of hairband have to match the kit. Also, players have to wear mittens to stop them grabbing shirts. 

With a piece of string up one arm, through the back of their shirt and down the other arm so they don’t lose them!

20 hours ago, FCC said:

Oof, shirt-grabbing isn't a problem compared to the simulation. We should sentence anyone who dives to a couple of rounds of boxing with a certain Mr. Anthony Joshua.

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Here you go, £55, sorted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395209012350

Whilst you have to admire anyone who apparently sells football boots by the inch (and indeed eschews fancy-Dan new-fangled black boots) it would seem that they are from so long ago that players were smaller than they are now.  Or alternatively I have giant clown feet.  Or perhaps - as anybody who saw me play back in December might suggest - a little of both ...

But I'll bookmark that page anyway in case the call comes again ... 

Edited by Barham Blitz
Spellin'