Sign in to follow this  
king canary

What will Aboh and co be thinking?

Aboh has been playing wonderfully for the u21s by all accounts- 9 goals in 11 games.

Finley Welch also highly thought of.

A largely meaningless cup game. 

Instead of giving them a spot on the bench we'd rather have two keepers? Why would any young player think they've got a future here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think it is meaningless.

We'd make a fair bit of revenue from that game from global TV rights and half of the gate receipts at Anfield.

Probably worth £1m, which is a lot of money to a Championship side about to lose parachute payments. Then the potential for a replay and more money if we can hold Liverpool reserves to a draw.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I hear Aboh is already planning on leaving

I can remember the last 18 year old striker to think he was above us before he'd kicked a ball in a competitive game. He's 25 now and this is his career:-

Capture.JPG.454f9a3ef12e2f6d4920dfd0a9f647f6.JPG

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I can remember the last 18 year old striker to think he was above us before he'd kicked a ball in a competitive game. He's 25 now and this is his career:-

Capture.JPG.454f9a3ef12e2f6d4920dfd0a9f647f6.JPG

Erm, Alex Matos can play up front, probably going to have a better career than that...

Edited by canarydan23

I sort of agree but I’m sure nearly all the players would want the opportunity to play at Anfield in a nationally televised game. 

Personally think it’s unrealistic to deny very competitive players the chance to play at Anfield and call it a meaningless game.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Aboh has been playing wonderfully for the u21s by all accounts- 9 goals in 11 games.

Instead of giving them a spot on the bench we'd rather have two keepers? Why would any young player think they've got a future here?

Exactly this!

Just now, Ulfotto said:

I sort of agree but I’m sure nearly all the players would want the opportunity to play at Anfield in a nationally televised game. 

Personally think it’s unrealistic to deny very competitive players the chance to play at Anfield and call it a meaningless game.

Ok but how does putting two keepers on the bench do that?

I'm not saying we should have played the academy team tonight. But why put a second keeper on the bench?

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Erm, Alex Matos can play up front...

So could Gary Doherty but nobody would call him a striker, Alex Matos played two seasons for the U18 games as a left winger then was moved inside as a defensive midfielder before he jumped ship to Chelsea. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well one of the two keepers is the young Caleb Ansen. Is there any reason why you don't approve of this young player being on the bench? And as for Aboh and Welch presumably they'll look at Rowe and Idah starting the game and feel reassured that they've got a future here if they're good enough!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

So could Gary Doherty but nobody would call him a striker, Alex Matos played two seasons for the U18 games as a left winger then was moved inside as a defensive midfielder before he jumped ship to Chelsea. 

Gary Doherty used to be a forward, started his career there at Luton. I suspect people might have called him a striker then? And Alex Matos is widely described as a central midfielder or forward, by Football Manager, Wikipedia, choose your source.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not saying we should have played the academy team tonight. But why put a second keeper on the bench?

Presumably to just give Caleb Anson some first team exposure without having to actually throw him into the deep end?

I'm guessing that the team won't get back to Norfolk until the early hours of Thursday morning as the club isn't getting a private jet for Bristol Rovers away with no prospect of promotion.

The U21s have a game on Friday, so that would disrupt Aboh's preparation for that as he wouldn't be able to train the day before that game?

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And as for Aboh and Welch presumably they'll look at Rowe and Idah starting the game and feel reassured that they've got a future here if they're good enough!

I'm worried Aboh might look at Idah and think he needs to get less clinical in front of goal in order to progress!

• Haha 5

I'm worried Aboh might look at Idah and think he needs to get less clinical in front of goal in order to progress!

Idah's goalscoring record at youth level was similar to Aboh's. I presume the fact that Idah has scored tonight isn't relevant?

• Like 1

Gary Doherty used to be a forward, started his career there at Luton. I suspect people might have called him a striker then? And Alex Matos is widely described as a central midfielder or forward, by Football Manager, Wikipedia, choose your source.

You stick with wikipedia and Football Manager and I'll stick with Will Grant who covers all the Norwich City academy content on MyFootballWriter?

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2023/03/26/academy-alex-matos-to-chelsea/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

It’s David Wagner what do you expect logic left the building a long time ago.

I would suspect maybe someone got injured in the warm up

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well one of the two keepers is the young Caleb Ansen. Is there any reason why you don't approve of this young player being on the bench? And as for Aboh and Welch presumably they'll look at Rowe and Idah starting the game and feel reassured that they've got a future here if they're good enough!

Does this really need an answer? 

We're highly unlikely to be bringing a sub keeper off the bench, even less likely to bringing two on. 

Aboh is an option that could as actually get some minutes. If I was a young striker in great form for the youth team I'd be pretty pissed off to see a space on the bench used for a second keeper who is never getting off the bench.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

You stick with wikipedia and Football Manager and I'll stick with Will Grant who covers all the Norwich City academy content on MyFootballWriter?

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2023/03/26/academy-alex-matos-to-chelsea/

I'll use him as well if you want. Or did you miss the big about him sometimes being utilised as a striker?

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Idah's goalscoring record at youth level was similar to Aboh's. I presume the fact that Idah has scored tonight isn't relevant?

Yeah, I don't know how he managed it with all those defenders trying to stop him!

It's a bit interesting in that if Wagner is off in the summer he's hardly going to be hugely invested in youth himself. Which is fine, however..

Assuming Knapper is interested and he's decided to keep Wagner until the summer and they both know this, surely Knapper could instruct Wagner to look at bringing a couple of young players into the squad for tonight?

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yeah, I don't know how he managed it with all those defenders trying to stop him!

I know, I know - goals don't count if they don't fit your agenda. 

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'll use him as well if you want. Or did you miss the big about him sometimes being utilised as a striker?

Alex Matos has played 2 professional games, 1 of those as a stoppage time sub to wind down the clock. I don't care what team that is for, he's got a long way to go before he's made it in football, so whether he can play as a striker or not I don't see how at this stage he proves anything?

Like the Will Still article said, he frankly struggled to make any sort of impact for our U21s after really impressing for the U18s. I've heard it said that he was frustrated that there wasn't a pathway here, but impressing for the U21s feels like a requisite to being given a chance in the senior team really?

Chelsea seem to make a business out of stockpiling young players and loaning them out year after year, they've been doing it for about a decade and currently have 21 players out on loan. My personal favourite was Jamal Blackman who made his living working for 'Chelsea Rent-a-Keeper' for 7 years.

1005364361_jamalblackman.JPG.0938e7c8f54852243fd221fc9e211d47.JPG

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Alex Matos has played 2 professional games, 1 of those as a stoppage time sub to wind down the clock. I don't care what team that is for, he's got a long way to go before he's made it in football, so whether he can play as a striker or not I don't see how at this stage he proves anything?

Like the Will Still article said, he frankly struggled to make any sort of impact for our U21s after really impressing for the U18s. I've heard it said that he was frustrated that there wasn't a pathway here, but impressing for the U21s feels like a requisite to being given a chance in the senior team really?

Chelsea seem to make a business out of stockpiling young players and loaning them out year after year, they've been doing it for about a decade and currently have 21 players out on loan. My personal favourite was Jamal Blackman who made his living working for 'Chelsea Rent-a-Keeper' for 7 years.

1005364361_jamalblackman.JPG.0938e7c8f54852243fd221fc9e211d47.JPG

Yeah, you're right, Alex Matos is another Benny Ashley-Seal.

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I know, I know - goals don't count if they don't fit your agenda. 

Agenda? The only thing I'm positing is that a penalty is generally easier to score than most chances from open play*. I'm sorry if that doesn't fir YOUR agenda.

*excluding a couple of Idah's chances from open play this season

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Agenda? The only thing I'm positing is that a penalty is generally easier to score than most chances from open play*. I'm sorry if that doesn't fir YOUR agenda.

*excluding a couple of Idah's chances from open play this season

I mean, you're not wrong - but penalties still need someone to step up and score them. You were going on about Idah not being clinical if you recall. 

It does seem rather strange you can't really say otherwise.

Unless there was a late injury you have to assume the squad travelled down on the basis that 2 subs would be on the bench.

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I mean, you're not wrong - but penalties still need someone to step up and score them. You were going on about Idah not being clinical if you recall. 

I was indeed. Can you think of any reasons why I might have said that? Reasons that would not disappear because a striker earning several thousands of pounds a week scored a penalty past a League One goalkeeper?

Edited by canarydan23

Probably that if they keep impressing in the academy sides they'll be snapped up by Chelski etc triple their wages and then get loaned out for 1st team football in our league anyway so 🤷

24 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It’s David Wagner what do you expect logic left the building a long time ago.

I would suspect maybe someone got injured in the warm up

Giannoulis was going to be on the bench but injured / ill. Nowadays Norwich always travel with 3 keepers for warm up purposes, so Ansen was always there if needed for the bench.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I was indeed. Can you think of any reasons why I might have said that? Reasons that would not disappear because a striker earning several thousands of pounds a week scored a penalty past a League One goalkeeper?

Well the multi-million pound Premier League stars of Nottingham Forest are stinking the place out against a team from the same division that we've just clinically despatched. Don't knock an away FA Cup Victory at a difficult League 1 ground. On to Anfield with Adam Idah leading the line - go on admit it - you're salivating at the prospect. 

• Like 1