Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Barnes: it's like playing half a man down

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good second half. Maybe getting back to full match fitness. There is still a lot to come from him.

You do realise he is in the twilight of his career. What we are getting now is probably the best we will see. 

Thought he did well to help us see that through with a bit of knowhow

...however , if we're not replacing Hwang , I dont know why we sent him back. He may be out for 5 weeks but the season is still has another 5 months.

Still think he coukx have helped in that role just off the main striker when Barnes is tiring

Barnes was forging a decent thing with Sargent before all the injuries spoilt that. Think he’ll be a useful player for us for the rest of the season provided we’re not relying him to score many.

Actually pretty satisfied with the attacking options, just need someone a bit more robust as an option in the middle where we seem to be constantly be getting overran.

45 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Yes, he definitely got more involved in the second half and held the ball up well at times. Possibly because the rest of the midfield were sitting deeper, there was a bit more of a pocket for Barnes to work in. 

Definitely. His input into the second goal was excellent. When we have team that isn't cohesive, experience and determination go a long way to filling the voids. 

• Like 1

I’m very reluctant to criticise, especially after that taking out of the Gippeswyk keeper recently, but I just don’t see him as our type of player. He was good for Burnley, but maybe I’m a tad arrogant but I still believe in a Norwich way. I’d rather see a youngster in, and slowly build over next 3 years. 

39 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Thought he did well to help us see that through with a bit of knowhow

...however , if we're not replacing Hwang , I dont know why we sent him back. He may be out for 5 weeks but the season is still has another 5 months.

Still think he coukx have helped in that role just off the main striker when Barnes is tiring

He failed to meet with South Korean police after they sent him a summons in late December.

Was then issued a second summons which was reported in the press on 2nd January.

A third summons was due to be issued 5th January if he didn't report back again.

At some point failure to comply with those summons turns into an arrest warrant. We have no extradition treaty with South Korea, but a lot of countries in Europe + the USA do. 

I don't think his injury is the reason we sent him back, and I'd even have to question whether the 'injury' was real.

He was too knackered to close down morton for the goal at the end lol 

I'm generally with the OP on the #9.5 position, I feel like it's there to help the more dangerous players get involved but doesn't really accomplish that. 

Tonight was probably the most effective we've seen Barnes since those early games, I will say. I think he has something to offer, just maybe not as a repeated starter.

The core of the issue however is that the way we play is causing pretty much all of our players to revert to 'tactical running' roles. Essentially a team of Gary Holts with incorrect attributes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

I’m very reluctant to criticise, especially after that taking out of the Gippeswyk keeper recently, but I just don’t see him as our type of player. He was good for Burnley, but maybe I’m a tad arrogant but I still believe in a Norwich way. I’d rather see a youngster in, and slowly build over next 3 years. 

Slowly building over 3 years is a myth. All that happens is you stagnate in mid table mediocrity watching any players that do come good get poached every close season like we saw throughout the mid-late 90’s.

If there’s a chance of promotion by hook or by crook you take it, and deal with improving the squad after it happens 

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm generally with the OP on the #9.5 position, I feel like it's there to help the more dangerous players get involved but doesn't really accomplish that. 

Tonight was probably the most effective we've seen Barnes since those early games, I will say. I think he has something to offer, just maybe not as a repeated starter.

The core of the issue however is that the way we play is causing pretty much all of our players to revert to 'tactical running' roles. Essentially a team of Gary Holts with incorrect attributes.

A Gary Holt in midfield would be a most welcome addition. The physical and constant graft of his is something we miss in my opinion, it can be too easy to play through our midfield which leaves our defence incredibly busy even when we’re on top in games