dylanisabaddog

Mr Bates v The Post Office

Yet another twist in this story. Henry Staunton claims Badenoch sacked him because someone had to take the blame. The whole sorry story was in the Sunday Times yesterday which sadly is behind a pay wall. 

Staunton also alleges that he was told to delay compensation payments beyond the forthcoming election. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yet another twist in this story. Henry Staunton claims Badenoch sacked him because someone had to take the blame. The whole sorry story was in the Sunday Times yesterday which sadly is behind a pay wall. 

Staunton also alleges that he was told to delay compensation payments beyond the forthcoming election. 

A guy bitter and twisted about losing his job. Given that this episode goes back to the start of the last Labour government, it seems a bit of a joke to now try and make it Kemi Badenoch's fault. The Post office has obstructed dealing with Horizon on Henry Staunton's watch as well.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

A guy bitter and twisted about losing his job. Given that this episode goes back to the start of the last Labour government, it seems a bit of a joke to now try and make it Kemi Badenoch's fault. The Post office has obstructed dealing with Horizon on Henry Staunton's watch as well.

I think you need to read the article 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's behind a paywall, but I don't need to read it to see the gist isn't really credible, given that it's impossible to see how this matters towards the election when the scandal began in 1999.

Hmm.

No 10 defends Badenoch in row with ex-Post Office chief but declines to back her claim he lied about their conversation

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hmm.

No 10 defends Badenoch in row with ex-Post Office chief but declines to back her claim he lied about their conversation

Very sensible of them, maybe they are finally begining to learn from past mistakes although its hard to avoid the conclusion that its taken an incredibly long time for the penny to drop.....😂

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hmm.

A Tory MP, who to believe ?

I am afraid even if she is telling the truth, me and many others, wouldn’t believe her anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He should read it because it looks like he's not a man willing to be a scapegoat for another government balls up. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

He should read it because it looks like he's not a man willing to be a scapegoat for another government balls up. 

I wonder if Sunak is far more Machiavellian than thought. He may need another scape-goat. Come on on down Kemi.

Either way looks bad for the government and Badenoch. More of the same....

• Like 1

What does he need a scapegoat for? This has been going on since 1999. The scandal first came to light under Gordon Brown in 2009 after an exposé in Computer Weekly that was largely ignored while postmasters had their lives and reputations destroyed. So how is this on the current government exactly?

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not everyone is "bitter and twisted" 

I didn't say everyone was. I said the sacked CEO of the post office clearly is, on the back of being sacked as the head honcho of the organisation responsible for the destruction of the lives of many post office employees.

10 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I wonder if Sunak is far more Machiavellian than thought. He may need another scape-goat. Come on on down Kemi.

Either way looks bad for the government and Badenoch. More of the same....

I think Badenoch is possibly the only Tory politician who looks likely to come out of this shambles of a government with her reputation intact. She seems to spend every waking hour spoiling for a fight, but I think the Tories could do a lot worse than pick her as leader after the inevitable drubbing that’s coming their way

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I didn't say everyone was. I said the sacked CEO of the post office clearly is, on the back of being sacked as the head honcho of the organisation responsible for the destruction of the lives of many post office employees.

Err, he was only appointed in December 2022. Quite why you've decided he's bitter and twisted I've no idea. I've listened to the accounts of both people. One seems quite rational and the other is having a bit of an unprofessional rant. 

The talk on the radio this morning is potential charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice. That goes back to 2015 but relates to Post Office staff not politicians. It still feels to me that it is those at the top of the Post Office at that time who are the guilty parties but obviously we don't have all the evidence yet. It would take an incredibly stupid politician to lie to protect the reputation of the Post Office and in any case it's difficult to see how they could possibly gain from doing so.

As regards Badenoch, I really don't think Twitter is the appropriate forum to carry on Government business but perhaps I'm a little out of touch. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I think Badenoch is possibly the only Tory politician who looks likely to come out of this shambles of a government with her reputation intact. She seems to spend every waking hour spoiling for a fight, but I think the Tories could do a lot worse than pick her as leader after the inevitable drubbing that’s coming their way

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/19/it-must-be-exhausting-to-be-kemi-badenoch-anger-her-ever-faithful-companion

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I can’t say I take much notice of opinion pieces in the Guardian, it’s essentially the worst of Twitter in newspaper form. It’s about as informative as the Mail, just the other side of the same depressing coin 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Err, he was only appointed in December 2022. Quite why you've decided he's bitter and twisted I've no idea. I've listened to the accounts of both people. One seems quite rational and the other is having a bit of an unprofessional rant. 

The talk on the radio this morning is potential charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice. That goes back to 2015 but relates to Post Office staff not politicians. It still feels to me that it is those at the top of the Post Office at that time who are the guilty parties but obviously we don't have all the evidence yet. It would take an incredibly stupid politician to lie to protect the reputation of the Post Office and in any case it's difficult to see how they could possibly gain from doing so.

As regards Badenoch, I really don't think Twitter is the appropriate forum to carry on Government business but perhaps I'm a little out of touch. 

Most of that I agree with, hence it seems reasonable for Badenoch to give him both barrels for deflecting from the Post Office to the government. He attacked her publicly so she's retaliating publicly. Perfectly reasonable for anyone who isn't looking for any chance to attack Badenoch.  Like I said, he's clearly bitter and twisted over losing his job and looking to get his own back.

Seems to me Badenock's rebuttal may come back to haunt her. Staunton says he believes the email of the 'stall' exists.

There is anyway a lot wrong with the manner and facts of Staunton's unexpected sacking (bullying claims he wasn't even made aware of) and Badenock's 'defense' looks to me anyway rather like the defense of a wounded cornered animal lashing out fighting for her (political) life. We've been here before with this government too many times.

I suspect the facts will out in a calm manner. Staunton isn't giving way! 

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Seems to me Badenock's rebuttal may come back to haunt her. Staunton says he believes the email of the 'stall' exists.

There is anyway a lot wrong with the manner and facts of Staunton's unexpected sacking (bullying claims he wasn't even made aware of) and Badenock's 'defense' looks to me anyway rather like the defense of a wounded cornered animal lashing out fighting for her (political) life. We've been here before with this government too many times.

I suspect the facts will out in a calm manner. Staunton isn't giving way! 

Yep, she should be toast already as it seems a pretty clear breach of the ministerial code but doubtless she won't go of her own volition and Sunak is far too weak to sack her so she will probably survive, and whilst in some ways it would be very satisfying to see another obnoxious Tory minister receive their just deserts it's probably better for Starmer and the opposition parties generally that she stays in post and rather desperately trying to defend her & the government's indefensible conduct.

I guess she gambled on Staunton staying stum to the extent that she didn't even bother to think up a plausible reason for sacking Staunton before she sacked him, which shows how dim she is on several levels, and I think Staunton's version of events ("someone's got to take the rap") have now confirmed what most of us assumed at the time anyway - since Badenoch's stated reasons at the time of the sacking made no real sense at all, it's difficult to reach any other than the obvious conclusion that Staunton is telling the truth.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not quite as bitter and twisted as some thought

Screenshot_20240221_032755_X.thumb.jpg.8729b4c2cbb0c34097fc820cb4b827ec.jpg

It's as if some posters haven't been paying attention to how blatantly dishonest the current government is. Or they don't want to admit to themselves that the people they cheer are rotten to the core.

• Thanks 3

PMQ today.

I think we can say Badenock is in the smelly stuff and sinking.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

PMQ today.

I think we can say Badenock is the smelly stuff and sinking.

Did you think Sunak sounded a bit defeated. No energy and no tiresome comebacks?

Just now, Herman said:

Did you think Sunak sounded a bit defeated. No energy and no tiresome comebacks?

I just think its over. SKS destroyed him on Badenock like a lawyer going in for the kill. He couldn't (wouldn't) defend her. Most people would throw in the towel now if it was a boxing match - live to fight another day. 

• Like 3

Angela van den Boegard is a witness before the inquiry today. She was the sidekick of Paula Vennells. 

Live on Radio 5 at 9.45am

I see that ITV were whinging that they made a million pound loss on the Post Office drama, perhaps if they paid the likes of Ant and Dec a bit less they could make more programmes like this as it has shone a light on just how badly the post masters/mistresses were treated.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

I see that ITV were whinging that they made a million pound loss on the Post Office drama, perhaps if they paid the likes of Ant and Dec a bit less they could make more programmes like this as it has shone a light on just how badly the post masters/mistresses were treated.

If they paid ant and Dec and bit less they would still have lost £1million on the post office drama.  If they made more of these programmes they'd lose even more money.

ITV dramas like this prove why the BBC licence fee is still relevant.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

If they paid ant and Dec and bit less they would still have lost £1million on the post office drama.

On the drama itself of course but not on the accounts overall, A & D get over £3 million per month from ITV so if their salary was halved the money saved could be used to produce more drama projects.