Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Transfer Window Question

Would you rather and this is first team only

We didn’t sign anyone but nobody left?

or

We signed some new players but we lost players?

15 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Would you rather and this is first team only

We didn’t sign anyone but nobody left?

or

We signed some new players but we lost players?

The latter. Happy to lose PP, Sorenson, Onel amongst a few others. Can see Springett going out on loan. I would expect a fair amount of comings & goings this month to freshen up the squad/trim down.

Maybe I would add we keep Sargent, Rowe or Sara but we sign no one.

or 

We lose one of Sara, Sargent or Rowe but sign reinforcements.

22 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

or 

Without one or more of Sara, Sargent and Rowe, the season is effectively over. Not going down, but we’d probably finish mid-table, around where we now. With all of them them, there’s a chance, but only a chance, that we could scrape into the playoffs which would at least give us a reason to keep watching.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be upset if we could find a buyer for Gibson, and could get Godfrey back on loan as he can't get in the Everton team for their F.A cup tie against Crystal Palace.

Cannot see anyone leaving.  None good enough to attract money offers the few not included of course.  Others will not be in demand and will stay to pick the money for the remains of their contract.  As for recruits I do not foresee any incoming due to finance and the reality of Wagner being here for the long term.  Save any money weight scrape up for a new boss in the Summer.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 14:37, Ulfotto said:

or 

I fear without promotion the latter option will be the reality in the summer.

For now I'm happy we do nothing and stick with what we have so any new Head Coach can develop the squad according to who they want. Wouldn't want us to 'waste' money now.

Buy nobody. Perhaps get a couple on loan and then wait until a new manager is in place in the summer.

Nobody that we may want/need to buy is likely to be available or want to come here in case the manager changes. 

2 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Wouldn't be upset if we could find a buyer for Gibson, and could get Godfrey back on loan as he can't get in the Everton team for their F.A cup tie against Crystal Palace.

A buyer for Gibson!! Who do you have in mind? 

No point wasting money on loans if we are going to be mid table might as well play some youth players instead of  other clubs players that will leave end of season ,

Loan to buy so we can try them out Yes all for that ,

next season we hopefully will have a New Manager so we can not buy players for Wagner's system 

15 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A buyer for Gibson!! Who do you have in mind? 

I dare say several Champ squads with deeper pockets would want him. 

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I dare say several Champ squads with deeper pockets would want him. 

He's out of contract in June so may as well wait until then and get him for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's out of contract in June so may as well wait until then and get him for nothing. 

I give zero sh*ts either way. But it would be worth getting something for him rather than doing the usual and not generating any sort of income from player sales and by that I dont mean all the time. There just seems to be a theme of bad business sense used a lot of times on contract situations.

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I give zero sh*ts either way. But it would be worth getting something for him rather than doing the usual and not generating any sort of income from player sales and by that I dont mean all the time. There just seems to be a theme of bad business sense used a lot of times on contract situations.

Oh I agree. IF someone desperate for a CB were to offer a modest fee then I'm sure we would bite their hands off to get rid of his wages right now.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Oh I agree. IF someone desperate for a CB were to offer a modest fee then I'm sure we would bite their hands off to get rid of his wages right now.

But why would Gibson go now when he can wait for the summer, when, as a free agent, he can a nice (or any) signing on fee from a new club? His options will be far better by waiting here 6 months and he will be picking up his current high level of wages. No brainier really. 

I don’t see any proven players that would be able to come in and hit the ground running wanting to sign for a manager that has to odds on to lose his job before end of the season.

My fear is the decision has been made to prop Wagner up with good signings, making him look better than he is so to speak… why worry, well I just don’t think Wagner has the ability to take us up… so we risk spending on symptoms rather than addressing the route cause.  In the summer we went experience now it seems youth, and for the next manager what then?  The only coherent policy is to improve the squad you have.  But window by window overall we are set to become weaker, money dictates.  The only thing that bucks that trend is a good manager at this level.  

The outs will be really interesting.

The ins are only likely to be players unproven at this level, possibly some good loans.

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

But why would Gibson go now when he can wait for the summer, when, as a free agent, he can a nice (or any) signing on fee from a new club? His options will be far better by waiting here 6 months and he will be picking up his current high level of wages. No brainier really. 

Depends if which club shows an interest. I think he'd jump at the chance to go back to Middlesbrough for example,