dylanisabaddog

Old photos and memories of Norwich

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This seems to be the same moment captured from the other sideĀ 

Screenshot_20240123_112046_Chrome.thumb.jpg.311c7fb10bace14610b1320fc1daf6da.jpg

Yep, where are you getting these from?

37 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Yep, where are you getting these from?

Facebook. There are 2 or 3 groups dedicated to the history of Norwich and Norfolk in photos and postcards. Just use the search function on Facebook if you use it.Ā 

I became more interested in the history of Norwich when I met Roger Smith. I suspect he knows more about the history of Norwich than anyone else. He is particularly good with social history as opposed to the usual Kings and Queens nonsense. A lovely man.Ā 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23322737.norwich-tour-guide-roger-smith-shares-favourite-norfolk-things/

He tells my favourite story about Norwich. The 2011 census revealed that Norwich had more atheists than any other City. But apparently that is part of a long history and around 1500AD the Pope excommunicated the City of Norwich for 30 years for being a Godless place. Before the cathedral was built that part of the City was a walled monastery and the monks were fat and lazy and just drank beer all day. The populace became angry and took to the tower of a local church in Tombland where they doused the bodies of dead sheep in oil, set fire to them and used a huge catapult to sling them over the monastery wall. Makes me feel quote proud just thinking about it!Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This seems to be the same moment captured from the other sideĀ 

Screenshot_20240123_112046_Chrome.thumb.jpg.311c7fb10bace14610b1320fc1daf6da.jpg

Definitely. You can just identify Bobby Brennan who managed to cross the ball before it went out of play. Very icy pitch. Probably the most treacherous ā€œplaying surfaceā€ conditions I have ever seen. Fairly sure this was Blyā€™s first goal. I was in the crowd about 5 yards from Bobby in this pic. Has to be one of my most memorable games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Bryan Thurlow.

Now heĀ Ā was hard!

Local boy from Chedgrave,Ā 

4-2.thumb.jpg.b8c5e868646e5c042a0cc7e66df79715.jpg

Foggo, Howard, Howsall, Stringer, Keelan, Anderson, Butler.

O'Donnell, Manning, Mallender, Curran, Forbes.

45 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

4-2.thumb.jpg.b8c5e868646e5c042a0cc7e66df79715.jpg

Foggo, Howard, Howsall, Stringer, Keelan, Anderson, Butler.

O'Donnell, Manning, Mallender, Curran, Forbes.

Blimey - Gerry Howshall ...........now there was a player of whom great things were expected but .............

Sadly,he turned out to be a bit of a sicknote despite such promiseĀ šŸ˜ž

35 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

1125742670_LevellingtheriverendVillagame1979.thumb.jpg.ddca1cdd5f096b84eba083d75a2ad663.jpg

@TIL 1010 guarding the bulldozers v Aston Villa 1979...

The irony is you could be right.

May be an image of 2 people, people playing football, people playing soccer and text

Book of Faces suggests this is 3 months before the last game at The Nest in 1935. Suggests it is an FA Cup tie v Sheffield Wednesday played in front of a crowd of 25,037.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

May be an image of 2 people, people playing football, people playing soccer and text

Book of Faces suggests this is 3 months before the last game at The Nest in 1935. Suggests it is an FA Cup tie v Sheffield Wednesday played in front of a crowd of 25,037.

An angle I've never seen before. Is that the ball underneath the Wednesday player who may have just bulldozed City's keeper into the net? Over the line? Clear foul? Goal or not goal? VAR?

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The Sheffield Wednesday Cup tie is the game that led to the authorities to decide that The Nest was unsafe. Absolute nonsense obviouslyĀ 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Sheffield Wednesday Cup tie is the game that led to the authorities to decide that The Nest was unsafe. Absolute nonsense obviouslyĀ 

5th Round tie - Weds won 1-0

16th Feb 1935

The problem was the crowds averaged about 12/14,000 at the time - but saw 25000 turn up for that game.

"Some secondary sources have suggested that it was felt as early as March 1926 that Norwich City should move on and leave the Nest. According to Ted Bell, there was a proposal that that year that a new ground should be built at Highland Road near Christchurch Road in Norwich. Bell said that the ground would hold 27,000. The club surveyed plots at St Jamesā€™ Hollow and Barrack Street. Boundary Park was the favourite site at the time. "

il_fullxfull.3390861966_t8f7.thumb.jpg.83e1a288672d1d5d340c5d84dbc442e8.jpg

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sad to say that kit doesn't look much like The Wednesday (navy blue vertical stripes, black shorts)