dylanisabaddog

Old photos and memories of Norwich

4 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I was at Gigg Lane that night too Nutty. We were in their social club sitting with some Shakers fans and I teased a young lad saying if he wore my scarf that team would win. It wasn’t me who had the last laugh…

Classic FA Cup upset although we were all over them at the end. Doherty really should have netted with that last gasp effort. I didn’t begrudge them the win and after what happened to them later it was the least they deserved.

Can’t believe it was 16 years ago…

And if you met a Bury fan today and told them how much you disliked your club's ownership & how your  "... football club has slipped so alarmingly in such a short space of time ... " they would probably - after recovering from gales of laughter - sit you down and give you an objective view of the football world, and Norwich City's place in it.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 09:18, cambridgeshire canary said:

The 1952/53 team.. Don't think there's many still alive who saw these guys play

s-l960.webp

Saw this photo hanging over the bar in a pub in Guernsey many years ago - when I enquired about it the landlady turned out to be Ken Oxford's daughter!

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

And...... 

If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

• Haha 1

It says everything you need to know about this forum when a thread on the history of Norwich descends into a discussion about @Kathy @kathy love life. 40 years ago FFS

We should all be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves but having said that I think we really need to know 🙄

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ernie Wise said:

How about these pictures- I don’t think anyone is alive who saw these teams play! 1906/07 & 1907/08.

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

First time I've noticed that the blue and white halves could be on alternative sides.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

First time I've noticed that the blue and white halves could be on alternative sides.

I think this is because they cut the blue shirts and the white shirts in half then stitched the different coloured halves together?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I think this is because they cut the blue shirts and the white shirts in half then stitched the different coloured halves together?

That sounds perfectly logical nutty.Canny not tight-fisted. 😁👍

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Those on the left side had to wear blue on the left side of the shirt, & vice versa! 😉 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It says everything you need to know about this forum when a thread on the history of Norwich descends into a discussion about @Kathy @kathy love life. 40 years ago FFS

We should all be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves but having said that I think we really need to know 🙄

40?

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The days when he used to drink in The Mustard Pot with Andy Proudlove.

I just googled Andy Proudlove to see what became of him. He died 5 years ago at a very young age. 

I had always been baffled as to how we got such big crowds into Carrow Road in the 50's and 60's and I think it was Ricardo who mentioned the standing enclosure in front of the main stand. I just stumbled on this photo from 1958 on a Norwich Facebook group 

Screenshot_20240116_082623_Facebook.thumb.jpg.98908b4952371d3d0fccce20bcc5b2a4.jpg

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I had always been baffled as to how we got such big crowds into Carrow Road in the 50's and 60's and I think it was Ricardo who mentioned the standing enclosure in front of the main stand. I just stumbled on this photo from 1958 on a Norwich Facebook group 

Screenshot_20240116_082623_Facebook.thumb.jpg.98908b4952371d3d0fccce20bcc5b2a4.jpg

Yes, thats it. You could get a transfer from the ground into the enlosure for a few pence. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I just googled Andy Proudlove to see what became of him. He died 5 years ago at a very young age. 

He died in 2017 aged 61 and Neil Davids passed in 2011 aged 55.

• Thanks 1

Obviously not much use to those who can't even remember the old main stand!

The enclosure had gone by the time I started going in 1968. The only time I ever went in the main stand was for reserve games when the crowd was probably less than 500. I vividly remember the tannoy announcements of the latest news from the first team away game. Before Saunders arrived it was invariably bad news. 

As kids we used to try and sneak the cushions out of the storage cage at the back of the stand and use them to slide down the wooden dividers between the blocks of seats. Russell Allison used to go nuts😂

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The enclosure had gone by the time I started going in 1968. The only time I ever went in the main stand was for reserve games when the crowd was probably less than 500. I vividly remember the tannoy announcements of the latest news from the first team away game. Before Saunders arrived it was invariably bad news. 

As kids we used to try and sneak the cushions out of the storage cage at the back of the stand and use them to slide down the wooden dividers between the blocks of seats. Russell Allison used to go nuts😂

Yes, the terraced enclosure had gone by the late 60’s but it was still there, only seated. I went in there for our first top division season. Queued up for around 90 mins as it was pay on the day. Those wooden board seats were about as comfortable as church pews.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What I remember the Reserve Games used to get gates into the 1000’s

6 minutes ago, daly said:

I went between 1968 and 1972 and it rarely exceeded 500.

However we did set a Football Combination record of around 30,000 in 1959 (for a game against Plymouth I think). Someone around at the time may remember but I think it was something to do with selling tickets for an FA Cup match. 

On 14/01/2024 at 18:21, Ernie Wise said:

How about these pictures- I don’t think anyone is alive who saw these teams play! 1906/07 & 1907/08.

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

Have you stashed a dead body under your bookshelf?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daly said:

Yes there were regularly 4k to 5k gates especially when we played the big London reserve sides in the Football Combination League.

I recall going to one where they were selling FA cup tickets in 1959, with a gate of 15k.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My apologies! 

No need dylan, it was nearer 50.

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2024 at 11:19, dylanisabaddog said:

I went between 1968 and 1972 and it rarely exceeded 500.

However we did set a Football Combination record of around 30,000 in 1959 (for a game against Plymouth I think). Someone around at the time may remember but I think it was something to do with selling tickets for an FA Cup match. 

It was in the 50’s 

This one just popped up on Facebook. I have no idea who the Norwich players are but the goalkeeper is Harry Gregg of Manchester United. January 1959.

I assume that is the South Stand behind. 

Screenshot_20240123_105533_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0d5399f76c5f4aa413f44bf7d637ebd4.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This one just popped up on Facebook. I have no idea who the Norwich players are but the goalkeeper is Harry Gregg of Manchester United. January 1959.

I assume that is the South Stand behind. 

Screenshot_20240123_105533_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0d5399f76c5f4aa413f44bf7d637ebd4.jpg

It is the South Stand. Crossan and Bly!

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Was he about to score? 

Yep, I wasn't there as still a twinkle in my mother's eye, but have seen a caption of this photo somewhere else suggesting it was of a goal.

• Thanks 1