Iwans Big Toe

Balance of the side

If Wagner is so desperate to have "balance" at the back by insisting on playing a left footed player at LCB, why has he chosen 2 left footers in midfield where arguably the "balance" is more important?

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

I’m not sure this is a terrible squad more like terrible team selection and just sticking to the same rubbish tactics

Nacho and Sara were forming a very good understanding in midfield. If you're desperate for Gibbo to come back into the side against Millwall as he's more physical (debatable) and is all left foot, drop Kenny (who is also all left foot), not Nacho and give the armband to Barnes or Gunny. Kenny is not club captain.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a terrible squad, isn’t it?

We have some good players that will save the season (from around 10-15 I would ques)

But seriously what did we expect with all the signing of players over 30 years?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a terrible squad, isn’t it?

I think so.

A defence which has no one capable of playing out from. Not so much an issue at this level - except when you play a tactic that demands this. How has Webber left us in a position without a player crucial to making our tactical system work? 

Full backs that can't cross. Again, not an issue if they're tactically allowed to cut inside. But in this system they are employed to provide the width so the wide players tuck in and play behind and alongside the striker. 

A midfield compromised of players who don't offer the defence the sort of support they need. One of them has to drop into defence to offer the ability to play out from the back, leaving massive space ahead which is occupied by players who have no defensive nous. That means we sacrifice a striker to play someone like Barnes who not only is tasked with contributing offensively, but having to drop back to support the midfield who have no clue defensively.

It's about as frustrating as it can get.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think so.

A defence which has no one capable of playing out from. Not so much an issue at this level - except when you play a tactic that demands this. How has Webber left us in a position without a player crucial to making our tactical system work? 

Full backs that can't cross. Again, not an issue if they're tactically allowed to cut inside. But in this system they are employed to provide the width so the wide players tuck in and play behind and alongside the striker. 

A midfield compromised of players who don't offer the defence the sort of support they need. One of them has to drop into defence to offer the ability to play out from the back, leaving massive space ahead which is occupied by players who have no defensive nous. That means we sacrifice a striker to play someone like Barnes who not only is tasked with contributing offensively, but having to drop back to support the midfield who have no clue defensively.

It's about as frustrating as it can get.  

I believe allowing a football director to assemble a squad whilst working his notice is probably not the best idea personally. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

I’m not sure this is a terrible squad more like terrible team selection and just sticking to the same rubbish tactics

It's a terrible squad... honest 🙁

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Nacho and Sara were forming a very good understanding in midfield. If you're desperate for Gibbo to come back into the side against Millwall as he's more physical (debatable) and is all left foot, drop Kenny (who is also all left foot), not Nacho and give the armband to Barnes or Gunny. Kenny is not club captain.

I noticed McLean and Hanley chatting just before kick-off of the 2nd half as Hanley was not involved in the h/t teamtalk, and rightly so I suppose, but he is club captain...

McLean did not look at all happy. A penny for their thoughts but surely they can't be happy with this terrible style we have adopted.

I think everyone knows it’s all wrong and we leave ourselves wide open. I do think though there is some material there for a new manager to work with.

if we went back to to a more 4-2-3-1 formation then you could move back to one of Hanley/Duffy partnering Gibson, giannoulis and Stacey as full backs. A choice of 2 from Gibbs/McClean/Nunez to play in front of them (could still do with a DM on loan too). Rowe, Sara and Sainz in front of them behind Sargent.

you’ve then got Hwang/Idah to bring legs/Power of the bench, possibly Fasnacht to play in 10 off the bench or a 30 min Barnes cameo and worst case Onel to go play right on a left back if we want to hit teams on the break.

id personally get another right back in and another wide player for competition but that team playing on the front foot with quick passing technical football would be miles better than what we are trying now. 

This picking the team and making subs by 'fitness assesment stats' seems ridiculous to me. Earlier in the season we were told that Duffy could play every minute of every game. If I remember rightly he even played an U21 game. He's been our best defender of late, has partnered well with Kenny, is an attacking threat for set pieces and yet didn't make the squad. Was he injured? If not it makes no sense. If stats are the be all and end all then there's no need for a head coach...

Sarge

Sainz Sara Rowe

Kenny Nuñez

Giannoulis Duffy Hanley Stacey

Gunn. 

About the best we can do. I can see the idea with Barnes but doesn't help the balance. Move Sara higher up, Nuñez can pass and it's either Kenny or Gibbs alongside. Ideally a strongest ball winner but that's for the transfer window

And to be fair that is an xi that a lot of champs clubs would swap theirs for.

So yes, id wager a different manager could raise levels.

3 minutes ago, Canario said:

Sarge

Sainz Sara Rowe

Kenny Nuñez

Giannoulis Duffy Hanley Stacey

Gunn. 

About the best we can do. I can see the idea with Barnes but doesn't help the balance. Move Sara higher up, Nuñez can pass and it's either Kenny or Gibbs alongside. Ideally a strongest ball winner but that's for the transfer window

I agree, roughly what I outlined above. The three behind Sarge can be fluid as they want too, Sara can drop back in, drift as Sainz and Rowe both look like they could play in any of the three positions 

The problem is that Wagner has played the same tactics in every match this season irrespective to who is available or who the opponent is.

I would try playing only one winger and having 3 central midfield players with Nunez playing a RCM role with Sara as LCM and Kenny as a CM. You have to find a role for Nunez in my opinion he is clearly too good to leave on the bench for Fassnacht or Hernandez 

5 minutes ago, Big O said:

I agree, roughly what I outlined above. The three behind Sarge can be fluid as they want too, Sara can drop back in, drift as Sainz and Rowe both look like they could play in any of the three positions 

Thatll teach me not to read the whole thread! But there we go..... 4231 get our best players on the pitch and stop tinkering

Edited by Canario