Sign in to follow this  
Satriales

Barnsley thrown out of FA Cup

13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Barnsley are owned by Americans - is it what we can expect in years to come?

If our American doesn't make wholesale changes to our current staff then yes. The independent Director issue is proof enough of that.

On 22/11/2023 at 17:24, shefcanary said:

This article is so depressing ....

Isn’t it just…

To think for a good period  we were pinching the likes of Liam Gibbs off them and scouting and attracting players from under their nose..

Their owners are ambitious and putting plans in motion to establish themselves where we failed. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

If and how they finance it will be intriguing. We quickly built up £96m debt largely on the back of EPL legacy and what appears not a lot to show for it. We could have built a very shiny new stand with that.

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Binners plans appear to be to demolish the Cobbold Stand which I would assume will be 'cheaper', than the complex solution we're looking at, however I still think they might be underestimating the legacy costs of a likely relegation from the EPL even if they get there.

I think the Cobbold was built in the early 70’s. Sat in there up in the girders for the away leg of the Texaco Cup Final in 1974 and it seemed pretty new. It’s definitely looking more than a bit tired now.

I think our ‘ solution ‘ to the City Stand problem is poor. Although it only opened in 1986 the leg room is terrible and the whole thing is far too cramped. 

Costly it may be but better to rebuild the whole thing and have something fit for the 21st century.

8 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think the Cobbold was built in the early 70’s. Sat in there up in the girders for the away leg of the Texaco Cup Final in 1974 and it seemed pretty new. It’s definitely looking more than a bit tired now.

I think our ‘ solution ‘ to the City Stand problem is poor. Although it only opened in 1986 the leg room is terrible and the whole thing is far too cramped. 

Costly it may be but better to rebuild the whole thing and have something fit for the 21st century.

Yes, you’re correct. To begin with there was terracing at the front with steps about two inches high. I was in the terracing for the first leg of the Texaco final as a boy and could hardly see a thing.

Sadly we look like Bournemouth on the TV with our existing stand and that gives a false impression of the size of our ground. 

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Binners plans appear to be to demolish the Cobbold Stand which I would assume will be 'cheaper', than the complex solution we're looking at, however I still think they might be underestimating the legacy costs of a likely relegation from the EPL even if they get there.

I suppose demolition is a cheaper and simpler route to replace/extend a stand. Perhaps builders on here can tell us if that is so? Maybe they should demolish the lot and put a multi storey car park over it. 

Reading the article again it sounds like the new stand will increase their capacity from around 29k to 36k so that would be a large stand. Similar to our purchase of Carrow Road, Portman Road has been partly pedestrianised to allow the stand to be built over it. 

Listening to their fans at the moment you would think that they are Champions League participants, it’s sickening but also just like 2000 when they fleetingly made the PL ahead of borrowing £50m and their impending administration when they couldn’t make the repayments. Aviva hang your heads in shame for writing off most of the debt. You can see it coming all over again. 

Binners went into administration following ITV Sport crashing, which lead to the collapse of the transfer market and they were not able even to give away their best players because nobody could afford to pay the wages either.
They are in a different position now where they have the backing of a pension fund that counts it's assets in $ Trillions.

37 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:
Binners went into administration following ITV Sport crashing, which lead to the collapse of the transfer market and they were not able even to give away their best players because nobody could afford to pay the wages either.
They are in a different position now where they have the backing of a pension fund that counts it's assets in $ Trillions.

Actually, no. They have owners who have borrowed from said pension fund. That's all. I might just as well claim I have the backing of an international bank worth billions as my mortgage is with HSBC.

15 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Isn’t it just…

To think for a good period  we were pinching the likes of Liam Gibbs off them and scouting and attracting players from under their nose..

Their owners are ambitious and putting plans in motion to establish themselves where we failed. 

Establish as what exactly ? One of the top six, or one of those trying to avoid relegation. After years of neglect they are trying to catch up on stuff we had years back. Their pitch has been awful. Their traiinng ground, what bit left that they own, is way behind ours.  The Cobbold Stand was built in 1971, and is showing that. The Pioneer stand was built in 1981. I have been in the former, but not the latter.  However this money will have to be repaid with interest. This is not Brighton or Blackburn where a wealthy benefactor is/was underwriting the cost of keeping the club going. Even clubs where everything has been thrown at maintaining PL status have fallen foul. Check the Championship for ex PL clubs treading water at best. And the binners are supposedly banking on reducing that amount so as to repay the money lent to them.

13 hours ago, RobJames said:

Establish as what exactly ? One of the top six, or one of those trying to avoid relegation. After years of neglect they are trying to catch up on stuff we had years back. Their pitch has been awful. Their traiinng ground, what bit left that they own, is way behind ours.  The Cobbold Stand was built in 1971, and is showing that. The Pioneer stand was built in 1981. I have been in the former, but not the latter.  However this money will have to be repaid with interest. This is not Brighton or Blackburn where a wealthy benefactor is/was underwriting the cost of keeping the club going. Even clubs where everything has been thrown at maintaining PL status have fallen foul. Check the Championship for ex PL clubs treading water at best. And the binners are supposedly banking on reducing that amount so as to repay the money lent to them.

For our decade of dominance with numerous EPL seasons, the only thing we have superior to them is our Training ground. Which they are now looking to put right, and let’s be honest they’ll have that in 3 years max.

Regarding stadiums, bar the South stand, Carrow Road has fast become dated with the City stand and River end really showing age. So I wouldn’t say there’s much in it compared to Portman Road... Both have plans to improve, but who will in-act those plans first? I’d say Ipswich more likely, currently.  

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

Yes having your debts wiped by going into administration certainly seems to have its benefits!

Can't help thinking they're are trying to run before they can walk. It will make it all the more amusing when it comes crumbling down. 

On 24/11/2023 at 09:27, Mutley said:

I suppose demolition is a cheaper and simpler route to replace/extend a stand. Perhaps builders on here can tell us if that is so? Maybe they should demolish the lot and put a multi storey car park over it. 

Reading the article again it sounds like the new stand will increase their capacity from around 29k to 36k so that would be a large stand. Similar to our purchase of Carrow Road, Portman Road has been partly pedestrianised to allow the stand to be built over it. 

Listening to their fans at the moment you would think that they are Champions League participants, it’s sickening but also just like 2000 when they fleetingly made the PL ahead of borrowing £50m and their impending administration when they couldn’t make the repayments. Aviva hang your heads in shame for writing off most of the debt. You can see it coming all over again. 

Just to point out we are nearly £100 million in debt having been the only Club to date to spend more than that on Wages in a relegation season. Then we are expecting our fans to pay the debt servicing costs of same receivable by an American multimillionaire. 

• Like 1