Sign in to follow this  
duke63

The Championship to EPL chasm

All last year's promoted sides in the bottom three. They have played 30 games between them, won 2, drawn 4 and lost 24. None of them have scored goals in double figures and all have conceded 2 or more per game on average. Sheffield still have not won a game with over a quarter of the season gone.

All of the promoted sides of the last two years are in the bottom 7.

Makes for very sorry reading and shows how the game has to change.

Edited by duke63
  • Like 2

I genuinely wonder what Everton fans think of it all. 

Complete mess of a club, never likely to do anything ever again, yet always have 3 sides worse than them. 

What is the actual point? 

And that is one of the traditional "big" clubs.

15 minutes ago, Canario said:

Complete mess of a club, never likely to do anything ever again, yet always have 3 sides worse than them. 

Must be so awful being in the Prem and not being relegated. Imagine that. Poor, poor Everton fans..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duke63 said:

All last year's promoted sides in the bottom three. They have played 30 games between them, won 2, drawn 4 and lost 24. None of them have scored goals in double figures and all have conceded 2 or more per game on average. Sheffield still have not won a game with over a quarter of the season gone.

The problem is, if the game does change, it will only be to the further detriment of all but the biggest clubs.

Note how Rugby League is handing out 'Grade A' status to its leading clubs-a points system based on their respective merits in 'Fandom' (?), Performance, Finances, Stadium and Community. It effectively removes any threat of relegation from the top clubs whilst ends the prospects of promotion for many-so, for example, London Broncos won promotion  on merit to Super League last season but, when the 'Grade A' ruling sets in, they'll be, under this new criteria, be dropped back out of Super League, even if they finished in the top 3!

You don't think the Premier League isn't keeping a very careful eye on this.

What it would mean for football is that clubs such as ourselves, Bournemouth, Luton and Watford (amongst many) would be unable to take a place in the Prem by merit whilst clubs like Leeds, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday might end up back in it because they tick the five qualifying boxes better than we all do.

1 hour ago, Canario said:

I read there's a strong chance of them receiving a 12 point deduction, due to FFP rules.

So they may get a change of scenery next season.

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

The problem is, if the game does change, it will only be to the further detriment of all but the biggest clubs.

Note how Rugby League is handing out 'Grade A' status to its leading clubs-a points system based on their respective merits in 'Fandom' (?), Performance, Finances, Stadium and Community. It effectively removes any threat of relegation from the top clubs whilst ends the prospects of promotion for many-so, for example, London Broncos won promotion  on merit to Super League last season but, when the 'Grade A' ruling sets in, they'll be, under this new criteria, be dropped back out of Super League, even if they finished in the top 3!

You don't think the Premier League isn't keeping a very careful eye on this.

What it would mean for football is that clubs such as ourselves, Bournemouth, Luton and Watford (amongst many) would be unable to take a place in the Prem by merit whilst clubs like Leeds, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday might end up back in it because they tick the five qualifying boxes better than we all do.

Not sure I would have any interest in it at all if it went down that route. 
I have said for sometime if I could subscribe to watching the Championship on Tv but not the EPL then I would. Many EPL games are drab boring matches with zero atmosphere. 
The West Han v Everton game yesterday was a case in point. I turned over and watched an old black and white film instead. Much more entertaining. 

15 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Not sure I would have any interest in it at all if it went down that route. 
I have said for sometime if I could subscribe to watching the Championship on Tv but not the EPL then I would. Many EPL games are drab boring matches with zero atmosphere. 
The West Han v Everton game yesterday was a case in point. I turned over and watched an old black and white film instead. Much more entertaining. 

I'd happily subscribe to & pay for coverage from the Champs, L1 and L2 plus FA and League Cups. Premier League and Champions League can go their own way. £29.99 pcm for Sky Sports via Now TV at the moment is testing me to the limit, far too many forgettable games that soon see me switching channels as well. Even Man Utd vs Man City yesterday was more of a training exercise for the latter, punctuated by occasional outbreaks of action. But gripping it was not. 

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

This is only because last season all 3 promoted teams stayed up. Over half of the league clubs have at some point played there. This is surely a much better system than that proposed for failing rugby union.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Must be so awful being in the Prem and not being relegated. Imagine that. Poor, poor Everton fans..

Yep. Must be great being ****e every week, having no chance of ever winning anything and watching your neighbours competing. 

5 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I read there's a strong chance of them receiving a 12 point deduction, due to FFP rules.

So they may get a change of scenery next season.

Wouldn’t think the 12 points would relegate them with rubbish at the bottom 

Imagine if this crowd here got in the playoffs and actually got promoted we are light years away from competing in the EFL

Doesn’t really change your point but it was an incredibly weak Championship last year.