Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Should apologising for slavery be an official Labour policy?

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Beacause some are saying it should be. Forget that multiple prime ministers have done so in the past mind, as its time to apologise AND pay lots of 'we will raise awareness' people lots and lots of money.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67189913.amp

"It is not Labour Party policy to introduce reparations."

Did you read the link you posted?

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

"It is not Labour Party policy to introduce reparations."

Did you read the link you posted?

"Bell Ribeiro-Addy and other backbench Labour MPs would like to see their party go further "

Yes I did. Interestingly the group in question is "the for Afrikan Reparations" group. Very interesing that their site is all about money and donations yet says "No direct financial benefits are on record for the Afrikan Reparations ". Can you guess who is the head of the group? Bell Ribeiro-Addy.

Ah. So they're all about getting paid and claim to be paying others and yet.. They won't tell anyone how much money they get or what they do with it? Gee, that sure sounds very legitimate, honest and open.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Bell Ribeiro-Addy and other backbench Labour MPs would like to see their party go further "

Yes I did. Interestingly the group in question is the for Afrikan Reparations. Very interesing that their site is all about money yet says "No direct financial benefits are on record for the Afrikan Reparations "

Ah. So they're all about getting paid and claim to be paying others and yet.. They won't tell anyone how much money they get or what they do with it?

Yet you wrote that headline knowing it isn't Labour Party policy. That's very stupid.

Do you think every statement made by a sitting MP should become that party's official policy?

• Like 1

Apologise for what?

I for one am proud of our countries history when it comes to abolishing the Atlantic slave trade. We have nothing to apologise for, unless you feel we should have let it continue?

And wait for the pile on from the uneducated.........

We should definitely apologise to anyone alive who was a victim of slavery inside the British Empire, with personal letters from King Charles III.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

On 28/10/2023 at 15:20, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

not just slavery, how about the 60 years of slow genocide now culminating?

It can't  be that bad in Scotland surely.

• Haha 1

On 28/10/2023 at 15:20, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

not just slavery, how about the 60 years of slow genocide now culminating?

If you say so Craig.

On 30/10/2023 at 02:03, Iwans Big Toe said:

Massive respect to these lads for doing this. It's just ahame that thoughtful and humorous takes on issues like these are buried on YouTube instead of featuring in mainstream political conversation.

It makes me think of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which did tackle a lot of social issues dressed with a sugar coating of humour, in contrast to the recent dramatic serious remake, which just finished up being rather angry and bitter.

Back on the OP, I'm dead against our governments apolosing for things hundreds of years ago; they are supposed to represent us and not people long dead. In addition, apologies just open the door for legal claims, which will finish up with British taxpayers being financially penalised now for events hundreds of years ago, but events where it wasn't simply a case of the British state getting richer at the expense of whatever commonwealth state we happen to be talking about. There were also black people taking payment for rounding up slaves, as mentioned in the video, but there's no indication that the claims for redress encompass them.

On 29/10/2023 at 18:01, Naturalcynic said:

If you say so Craig.

you are some jokers here. Watch this video from 1948 and the laughing old men who then carried out the massacres that underlies the racist and ruthless genocide today. I know that UN rules mean nothing to our elected representatives and there might be thousands taken in by the lies and **** the wider media has produced.

You vote for kid Starver if you want to be besmirched with this guilt, I could not possibly comment.

https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1718887609211011208

3 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

you are some jokers here. Watch this video from 1948 and the laughing old men who then carried out the massacres that underlies the racist and ruthless genocide today. I know that UN rules mean nothing to our elected representatives and there might be thousands taken in by the lies and **** the wider media has produced.

You vote for kid Starver if you want to be besmirched with this guilt, I could not possibly comment.

https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1718887609211011208

Jesus Christ. You complain about racism and then demand a race and country is judged on the behaviour of one or two people in a video? You need to get your own racist views in check, mate.

On 31/10/2023 at 20:10, littleyellowbirdie said:

Jesus Christ. You complain about racism and then demand a race and country is judged on the behaviour of one or two people in a video? You need to get your own racist views in check, mate.

Don't you lecture me or anyone here on racism chum, you are nothing but Tabloid fodder. If you got any idea what the UN is about and why the rules the word agreed on with regards to genocide, ethnic cleansing and racism is all about, read this resignation letter from one of the best lawyers in the world, a UN civil servant who slugged his guts out and who has worked in Gaza and Israel more than once out of necessity.

If you can keep it up to read four pages.

https://hrvoices.org/assets/attachments/documents/cm_final_letter_signed_pdf.pdf

33 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Don't you lecture me or anyone here on racism chum, you are nothing but Tabloid fodder. If you got any idea what the UN is about and why the rules the word agreed on with regards to genocide, ethnic cleansing and racism is all about, read this resignation letter from one of the best lawyers in the world, a UN civil servant who slugged his guts out and who has worked in Gaza and Israel more than once out of necessity.

If you can keep it up to read four pages.

https://hrvoices.org/assets/attachments/documents/cm_final_letter_signed_pdf.pdf

Tabloid fodder? Where do you get these eccentric idioms?