Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Post of Week: Best Own Goals of all time!

Hey Pink Un family,

This week, I wanted to dive into a discussion about the best own goals of all time, whether they were scored for NCFC or by players from other teams. We've all seen some memorable moments when players unintentionally found the back of their own net, and I'm excited to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Recently, Ben Gibson's exquisite header past Angus Gunn, unfortunate as it was, got me thinking about the brilliance of own goals. Sometimes, even when the ball is heading in the wrong direction, you can't help but appreciate the sheer audacity of it!

So, please share your all-time favorite own goals with the Pink Un community. Feel free to include videos if you can, but if not, a vivid verbal description will do just fine. I'm sure we have a treasure trove of classic own goals to explore and reminisce about.

Let's celebrate the beautiful game and those unforgettable moments when players had a slip of the foot or a moment of confusion. What's your pick for the best own goal of all time? Share your thoughts, and let's enjoy this discussion together!

Looking forward to hearing your favorite own goals and the stories behind them.

Cheers,
Yobocop

Easy. Cannot be beaten. Andy Linighan away vs Sheffield Wednesday. He rounded our own keeper (Gunny senior I think) before hitting an unstoppable shot into the top corner of his own net!

I’ve never managed to find it on YouTube but would love to see it again if anyone has it?

I scored the best own goal of all time for my village team when I was about 14.  The opposition hoofed a ball clear down our right channel, I was playing centre back and had to move across to right back to cover.  I had their centre forward chasing me down so as it came over my shoulder I tried to volley it back to our keeper with my wrong foot, caught it absolutely cleanly and sent it straight into the top right hand corner of our net from about 45 yards. 

There was a stunned silence from players and spectators alike, punctuated only by a sarcastic round of applause and a shout of 'great finish bro' from my younger brother who was playing in goal for his own age group on the next pitch.

I'd have been a YouTube sensation if mobile phones had been invented then ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Easy. Cannot be beaten. Andy Linighan away vs Sheffield Wednesday. He rounded our own keeper (Gunny senior I think) before hitting an unstoppable shot into the top corner of his own net!

I’ve never managed to find it on YouTube but would love to see it again if anyone has it?

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not NCFC related, but long ago in the days before Man City ruled the Prem this absolute beauty happened at Maine Road and it still tickles me to this day....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Didn’t Gary Megson score a screamer for the scum? 

He did, absolute bullet header. Not sure I've got over it.

And then there was the Ullathorne(?) backpass that skipped over Gunn's kick and dribbled into the net. I was at both those games. Miserable experiences.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

There’s one that they always used to show on Soccer AM where the bloke tries to clear it over his head and just hoofs it into his face and into the goal. Made the Doc look like Ronaldinho, that one. 

4 hours ago, Segura said:

Not NCFC related, but long ago in the days before Man City ruled the Prem this absolute beauty happened at Maine Road and it still tickles me to this day....

This is the one that immediately sprang to mind for me

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paddycanary said:

The one that springs to mind for me was a Lee Dixon header back across the face of goal,- seem to remember a couple from Dixon

this is the Lee Dixon all-time classic.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

For me it is the Rob Ullathorne back pass that Bryan Gunn "air kicked" at Portman Rd, the Steve Bruce own goal on his debut for NCFC and the Brighton keeper scoring two own goals at Carrow Rd...........

4:33 onwards on the video above, unsurprisingly the goon squad who made this video gave it to gunn 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Pure quality this one. Couldn't hit it like that if he tried.

Quality goal that 

25 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

This was the one I was thinking of RNL but yours is the winner!

This does have a certain beauty, though. Very delicately placed over Seaman's head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1