dylanisabaddog

Cricket World Cup

Can't believe it's come round again already. 

India look to be favourites as they're playing at home but I would never bet against an England team when Ben Stokes is involved. 

Norwich City apart, there is lots of good sport at the moment. The Rugby world cup has been dull but should pick up once the knock out stages start. It's going to be a good few weeks! 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Can't believe it's come round again already. 

India look to be favourites as they're playing at home but I would never bet against an England team when Ben Stokes is involved. 

Norwich City apart, there is lots of good sport at the moment. The Rugby world cup has been dull but should pick up once the knock out stages start. It's going to be a good few weeks! 

Yep, plenty of sporting events on at the moment.

Not sure about a 'few' weeks though. I think the final is on 19th November, so it's about as long as the Rugby WC.

59 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just switched on for England v New Zealand. The stadium is virtually empty

Not a great look for cricket or the ODI format. I wonder how much ticket prices are.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just switched on for England v New Zealand. The stadium is virtually empty

Is it one of those stadiums that is so big that even a good 30-40k crowd looks poor? 

Just now, Herman said:

Is it one of those stadiums that is so big that even a good 30-40k crowd looks poor? 

It is large but I'd be surprised if there are any more than 5000 people there. 

As @Satrialeshas said, it could be ticket prices 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It is large but I'd be surprised if there are any more than 5000 people there. 

As @Satrialeshas said, it could be ticket prices 

Just had a look on the ICC website. Cheapest tickets are about a tenner. Seems reasonable but appreciate the average population in India don't generally have large incomes. The latter games say sold out though, against India and South Africa.

32 minutes ago, Herman said:

Sold 20k tickets according to the commentators, trouble is it holds 130k

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Sold 20k tickets according to the commentators, trouble is it holds 130k

Blimey!  Is that the biggest in the world? 

No wonder it looks empty, but even so 20k for a world cup finals match isn't great. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Blimey!  Is that the biggest in the world? 

No wonder it looks empty, but even so 20k for a world cup finals match isn't great. 

It's the second largest stadium apparently. Top is a stadium in North Korea, so might not actually be the reported 150,000!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Satriales said:

It's the second largest stadium apparently. Top is a stadium in North Korea, so might not actually be the reported 150,000!

If it's Korean it's almost certainly a fake😂

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/133128/the-biggest-stadium-in-the-world-is-in-north-korea-and-its-utterly-insane/

The 150,000 capacity is unofficial, with the stadium’s Wikipedia page claiming it is just 114,000, and there have been some seriously sinister events to take place at the stadium – most notably, a group of army generals were burned alive inside the stadium after plotting an assassination attempt on then leader Kim Jong-il.

I wonder what the attendance was for that?  And most importantly to Pinkun posters, were discounts available for coffin dodgers? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Satriales said:

Not a great look for cricket or the ODI format. I wonder how much ticket prices are.

People worry about test matches, but my guess is that one day 50 over games will be the first to become redundant.

😲

The squeeze on hotel rooms in Ahmedabad for this game was such that ticket holders have been booking themselves into hospitals for overnight check-ups just so they have a bed to sleep in.

On 15/10/2023 at 17:19, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

There'll be dancing in the streets of Kabul tonight......if that sort of thing is allowed 

Of course it is! Not the women obviously.... 

• Like 1

It is a shame but this tournament has been pretty dreadful so far.

The highlights have been two shock results but outside of that, nothing of note is happening- games haven't even been close. England v NZ, Australia v India, India v Pakistan, Australia v South Africa, all on paper should be fantastic clashes and all have been extremely one sided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Dreadful from England, excellent from South Africa. We'll be going out with a whimper.

You might want to copy and keep that on your clipboard and paste it for the rugby later

1 minute ago, BurwellCanary said:

You might want to copy and keep that on your clipboard and paste it for the rugby later

At least England are very much expected to lose that game and lose it handiliy. 

• Like 1