Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

VAR again today

As much as I dislike Wolves, todays decision to uphold a penalty decision against them was bizarre. Mike Dean has even come out and said he has no explanation as to why it was not overturned. 
For those that haven’t seen the incident the ball hits the defenders leg and deflects onto his arm. Yes his arm was outstretched, but the rule is clear, if it deflects of your body onto your arm, no penalty.

Also cost us £330 in an accumulator with Derby and Blackpool.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-dean-makes-worrying-penalty-27775823

I saw that one (I switched over from our ‘performance’ for a while).  I thought it very harsh but decided the point was that, although it deflected, his hand was well above his head - ie not where it should ‘naturally’ be.  It did clearly hit the arm.

I was generally ok with the decision as had Morris in my fantasy team this week…

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I saw that one (I switched over from our ‘performance’ for a while).  I thought it very harsh but decided the point was that, although it deflected, his hand was well above his head - ie not where it should ‘naturally’ be.  It did clearly hit the arm.

I was generally ok with the decision as had Morris in my fantasy team this week…

Lol

The decision to uphold the decision ripped apart by mod. 

Just watched it, no issues at all in that being a penalty arm way above his head, I get the rules about deflection etc, but that was more than just a slight deflection and should be a hand ball 

More sympathy with the red card as Lockyer was deliberately sitting on the lads leg.

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

I have no feelings either way towards his club but a Wolves mate regularly forecasts VAR 'mistakes' and gets it right so often I'm considering betting on it, that's how often they get done over against elite clubs, in the same way that we do. I believe the technology and numbers of camera angles are good enough now and do not account for the errors - we can all see where the problem is.

I think it shows the current state of football when that is given as a pen and a couple of posters think it's the correct decision 

The unnatural position should not even come into it. He dived in to block the shot. It deflected and could have gone anywhere. His arm was not in an unnatural position given the way he leaped in but that is by the by. The hand ball was not intentional and he also could not have moved his arm out of the way in time. If the video ref can't see that or understand the rules what hope do we all have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

The hand ball was not intentional 

Playing devils advocate for a minute, how often is handball ever intentional though? 

24 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I think it shows the current state of football when that is given as a pen and a couple of posters think it's the correct decision 

I didn't say it was the correct decision, I said I'd have no issue with that being classed as handball.  Certainly seen more ridiculous decisions either given or not given or more stupid rules than this one.

56 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

So if it had been in our game and was done by a Plymouth player you wouldn’t expect a penalty?

9 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So if it had been in our game and was done by a Plymouth player you wouldn’t expect a penalty?

No

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just watched it, no issues at all in that being a penalty arm way above his head, I get the rules about deflection etc, but that was more than just a slight deflection and should be a hand ball 

More sympathy with the red card as Lockyer was deliberately sitting on the lads leg.

So you are happy to ignore the rule the fa brought in themselves that if the ball deflects onto your arm ( whatever the position of your arm ) at speed ( this was timed at 0.2 of a second ), then no penalty should be given. I could understand this being given on field, but VAR not at least sending him to the screens, indicates they either don’t know about the rule, or are not fit to do the job. Why bring the rule in then ignore it. 
Seems from what is being said by the referees association this morning, that Wolves will be receiving an apology. Keown was adamant the arm was in a natural position, as was Mike Dean.

I appreciate most of us, me included, don’t like Wolves, but this has wider implications. Like it or not, one day ( I think there is VAR on Tuesday ) these decisions will effect us again.

30 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

The rule changed and is quite clear, that was not a penalty. Even VAR representatives cannot explain why the referee was not called to the screen.

If somebody stood a yard offside, would you ignore that rule and not give offside.

Edited by Well b back

5 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I am a firm believer in if it’s not a howler then leave it with the on field decision.

That was a howler.

47 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So you are happy to ignore the rule the fa brought in themselves that if the ball deflects onto your arm ( whatever the position of your arm ) at speed ( this was timed at 0.2 of a second ), then no penalty should be given. I could understand this being given on field, but VAR not at least sending him to the screens, indicates they either don’t know about the rule, or are not fit to do the job. Why bring the rule in then ignore it. 
Seems from what is being said by the referees association this morning, that Wolves will be receiving an apology. Keown was adamant the arm was in a natural position, as was Mike Dean.

I appreciate most of us, me included, don’t like Wolves, but this has wider implications. Like it or not, one day ( I think there is VAR on Tuesday ) these decisions will effect us again.

Read my later post, I've said they shouldn't have ignored the current rule and a penalty should not have been given, what I'm saying is I have no issue with this type of incident being handball and there's been a lot more ludicrous incidents given under these rules.