Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Trains on Saturday

Looks like the overtime ban is hitting a few services to-from Norwich on Saturday.  We were due up on the 1000 from Liverpool St which isn’t running (0930 or 1030 instead), and the 1730/1830 back aren’t running (which means the 1800 will be overloaded).

Might be worth checking if anyone is using other lines. 

I think the Saturday timetable has still to be finalised. I'm booked on the 1001 from Chelmsford and the 1800 return. The journey planner has yet to be updated so is showing the trains with a yellow triangle noting that there is an overtime ban that might affect the journey. 

28 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

I think the Saturday timetable has still to be finalised. I'm booked on the 1001 from Chelmsford and the 1800 return. The journey planner has yet to be updated so is showing the trains with a yellow triangle noting that there is an overtime ban that might affect the journey. 

I think they have - I checked this morning and then noticed an email as my train had been binned.

I imagine your trains are unaffected (is 1001 the 0930 from Liverpool St? and the 1800 is still running) so no issue.  The changes are not mahoosive, but the 1800 will be overfull - at least to Diss.

NOTE there is a bus replacement between Cambridge and Ely, train times may be affected by delays in the travel time of the replacement bus.  Alternative is via Stowmarket but only a 5 minute window from arrival to catch Norwich train, if miss next train an hour later.

I didn’t fancy the 18.00, wanted time to have a pint or 2, might stay over if a good vib

Ffs, even the ones from wymondham to Norwich aren't running. 

Thanks for heads up

I usually get the 1800 having arrived earlier for a few ales and lunch before the game. The 1800 usually allows the masses to have gone so is usually quieter. It also avoids a change at Colchester

Again I’m driving up from knebworth on Saturday at 930am if anyone wants picking up en route I have 2 spaces 

Hoggy trains from Wymondham are running.  But no service Camb to Ely,  Trasins running from Peterborough to Norwich via Ely.  Buses between Camb and Ely.  Yhis info not readily available from Greater Anglia.

Note anyone travelling train from Stations berween Ely and Nor if you miss 17.21 train according to trainline and NRE next train much later used to nbe next 17.30.  Just checked no 17,21 next 17.45.  Need to check seems to be conflicting info.  Sorry if you are confused I am.  Glad Yobocop has come to my rescue and providing lift to Norwich than suffering our trains.

Mighty miss 17.21 if injury time 10 mins added.   

2 hours ago, pete said:

Hoggy trains from Wymondham are running.  But no service Camb to Ely,  Trasins running from Peterborough to Norwich via Ely.  Buses between Camb and Ely.  Yhis info not readily available from Greater Anglia.

Oh really? If I try to buy a ticket from Trainline it just tells me everything Wymondham to Norwich and vice versa is bus replacement only? 

3 hours ago, pete said:

GA Engineering calendar says (no trains) between Norwich and Ely.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-alterations/norwich-ely-1

SB

Edited by StewB

Yep I think the only way to Ely by train is by changing at Stowmarket but I think connections may be tight and they aren’t long trains so with the disruption elsewhere it could be tricky as some of these services may also be subject to long gaps in service.

3 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

Yep I think the only way to Ely by train is by changing at Stowmarket but I think connections may be tight and they aren’t long trains so with the disruption elsewhere it could be tricky as some of these services may also be subject to long gaps in service.

It is a bit crappy, but the mainline trains are still as they were a few days ago - there’s trains from Liverpool St at 0930, 1030, 1102, 1130, 1230, and back at 1800 and 1900.  I’m still heading for the 1030, and will try to get back on the 1800… that’s the pinchpoint. If I don’t get on I’ll just have a pint and get the next!  

Yes I’m booked on the 1000 from Chelmsford and the 1800 return but the issue is the rake of trains cancelled either side so they will be brimming.

Morning should be fine, evening much less so.  I did think about getting a refund but can’t be bothered to drive (particularly given the weather forecast).

I’ve got a fixed time split ticket back to Bath on the 18.00, I’ll have to join the queue early,

I had train issues at the last two test matches as well, the lack of government negotiating with the unions is beginning to really annoy me!

13 minutes ago, Wroxham Bridge said:

I’ve got a fixed time split ticket back to Bath on the 18.00, I’ll have to join the queue early,

I had train issues at the last two test matches as well, the lack of government negotiating with the unions is beginning to really annoy me!

It is pretty poor, whatever your politics these things need sorting and will never get sorted burying your head in the sand - which seems to be the current policy. 

I think when there’s things going on on the network most ticket Inspectors are pretty flexible, if you have a valid ticket (of sorts) and reason - but then you’ll get a jobsworth who isn’t….no one can afford the ‘on the day single fare’ or whatever it is they make you pay!

On 02/08/2023 at 16:34, Wroxham Bridge said:

At least we're playing a southern club, I'm booked onto the 18.00 and might have a rethink about a post match drink in the Lion and Castle.

I think a team from Yorkshire might take offence at the southern club bit ( wink )

Hoggy if I have given you a bum steer I am sorry.  But info I had been given was Camb to Ely bus replacement only,  checked Stev to Nor only direct train from P'boro via Ely to Nor.  Indicating there was line between Ely and Nor operating.  Apparently if bus replacement between Wynd and Nor looks like no service Camb and Nor.  I checked Nor to Wynd this am and it showed trains after 17.00 did not check Wynd to Nor Sat am.

Stev to Nor via Stow'mkt was given chacking Stev to Nor when chcking last week.

Maybe silver lining evry time I have bus replacement ticket not checked therefore might get a free trip.

The info provided from train companies is pretty useless.  Obviously if I tried to get to Nor via Camb would have been futile, Stow'mkt not really viable.   

• Like 1

Branston, the issue of Camb via Stow'mkt is a 5 min window between arrival of Camb train and leaving of Nor train.  If miss next train hour later.  And believe me hanging around Stow'mkt station is not a pleasure its desolate. 

41 minutes ago, pete said:

Branston, the issue of Camb via Stow'mkt is a 5 min window between arrival of Camb train and leaving of Nor train.  If miss next train hour later.  And believe me hanging around Stow'mkt station is not a pleasure its desolate. 

I know that - I’ve only ever mentioned the mainline from LSt to Norwich.  I’ve used the Stowmarket route from Cambridge and it was fine, but imagine it would be a pain the backside if the links didn’t work.

Edit: the problem this week is an overtime ban, so they weren’t able to finalise Saturday timetables until a few days ago.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, pete said:

Hoggy if I have given you a bum steer I am sorry.  But info I had been given was Camb to Ely bus replacement only,  checked Stev to Nor only direct train from P'boro via Ely to Nor.  Indicating there was line between Ely and Nor operating.  Apparently if bus replacement between Wynd and Nor looks like no service Camb and Nor.  I checked Nor to Wynd this am and it showed trains after 17.00 did not check Wynd to Nor Sat am.

Stev to Nor via Stow'mkt was given chacking Stev to Nor when chcking last week.

Maybe silver lining evry time I have bus replacement ticket not checked therefore might get a free trip.

The info provided from train companies is pretty useless.  Obviously if I tried to get to Nor via Camb would have been futile, Stow'mkt not really viable.   

Thanks, will wait and see I guess! 

I imagine with the storm hitting tomorrow it will be chaos on the rail network. Good luck to all travelling by train.