Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Sack for success

Bournemouth manager sacked for keeping team in PL against all the odds.

Sheff Weds manager sacked after getting team promoted against all the odds, after the heavy semi defeat v Peterborough.

Love football, hate what it’s become!!

Edited by Bradwell canary
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think Moore walked out, didn't he?

Officially 'by mutual consent' but it looks like the transfer policy for the new season couldn't be agreed, that usually means the manager wanted more than the owner was willing to give.

27 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Officially 'by mutual consent' but it looks like the transfer policy for the new season couldn't be agreed, that usually means the manager wanted more than the owner was willing to give.

Yep, that was my understanding. There could be other disagreements, but this is probably it.

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep, that was my understanding. There could be other disagreements, but this is probably it.

The owners at Weds have stated top 6 is the minimum expectation for them this season, despite allowing little to no transfer funds.  Its a no win situation.  Managers stock is somewhat high, so get out of the poisoned chalice and look for a better, more stable club.

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

He was sacked by WBA when they were 4th in the table.

Sticking with managers long-term is so underated in football. It's the easy option to sack them when things get tough. Much better imo to find the right person and stick with them long term. Build a dynasty, even if it takes years to develop. 

"The right person" is the issue and there aren't many people given that chance. Of course I would think Farke qualified for that role, but I also believe Alex Neil could have rebuilt the squad as a long term manager, learning as he goes, with the club benefiting in years to come. 

If players fall out of line, if the manager loses the players, get rid of the players would be my view. Find the right man and stick with him. 

Fans might not like it, but as long as they are kept in the loop and know the plan is to keep the manager long term, they might be less vocal against them when things get tough. 

Short termism is rife and it does football clubs no credit.

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Sticking with managers long-term is so underated in football. It's the easy option to sack them when things get tough. Much better imo to find the right person and stick with them long term. Build a dynasty, even if it takes years to develop. 

"The right person" is the issue and there aren't many people given that chance. Of course I would think Farke qualified for that role, but I also believe Alex Neil could have rebuilt the squad as a long term manager, learning as he goes, with the club benefiting in years to come. 

If players fall out of line, if the manager loses the players, get rid of the players would be my view. Find the right man and stick with him. 

Fans might not like it, but as long as they are kept in the loop and know the plan is to keep the manager long term, they might be less vocal against them when things get tough. 

Short termism is rife and it does football clubs no credit.

Works both ways just say Farke had kept us up in PL , then following season built a team then finished say 6th for example ,

One of the Big teams would come in and offer him far more money he would be off ,

Also we have this Problem with Wagner how can you keep him if he starts and continues like end of last season ?

it is a results business and club our size manager does well he leaves , manager who gets poor results in lesser league gets sacked ,

it sounds fantastic but i think long term managers are a thing of the past to much money at stake  

10 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Bournemouth manager sacked for keeping team in PL against all the odds.

Sheff Weds manager sacked after getting team promoted against all the odds, after the heavy semi defeat v Peterborough.

Love football, hate what it’s become!!

You need to think carefully about the reasons behind the decision. Last season many of my friends who were not Norwich fans couldn’t understand why we wanted Smith out when we were in the top six. Every single one of them who was a Norwich fan understood completely!

Moore made very heavy weather of getting Wed's promoted in the end. They also had a decent slice of good fortune in the play off 2nd leg when the ref added on well over the indicated stoppage time.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Moore made very heavy weather of getting Wed's promoted in the end. They also had a decent slice of good fortune in the play off 2nd leg when the ref added on well over the indicated stoppage time.

True- but if you garner an enormous 96 points across the season then surely you deserve to go up anyway!

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Works both ways just say Farke had kept us up in PL , then following season built a team then finished say 6th for example ,

One of the Big teams would come in and offer him far more money he would be off 

Not so sure. I don't think that would have happened with Farke. He signed a four year contract and is known for not breaking contracts. That would have been eight years - and then see where we were. A season or two in the championship, build a better version of farkeball, learn from past mistakes, get the right kind of players in and at the end of eight years maybe things would be such that we were in the PL and able to compete - and still with the possibility for further development, with the possibility of more funding to encourage him to stay on. 

I feel it was a massive retrograde step to get to where we are now. If we had kept Alex Neil, the same thing might have applied, build a new squad, learn from mistakes and come up with something long lasting. 

The trend for sacking managers when things get tough is a lottery. You might be lucky and get a Kompany or a Frank......or you might get a Smith. 

Eighteen months on from Farke, we are almost certainly in a worse place than if we had kept him. We sacked Neil and got lucky with Farke, we sacked Farke and got unlucky with Smith. 

Like I said, a lottery....so all in all, there is just as much justification for sticking with a manager than sacking him.  Worthy is another case in point. Was sacked  - but did it help? Not judging by the following few years. 

The problem for all Norwich managers is money...or lack of it....hence all our best managers get the sack. The logic is crazy. Sack the manager because there isn't the money to give him what he needs.......