On 05/06/2023 at 18:23, nutty nigel said:

I'd suggest we've already taken a view.

I think his injuries have restricted loan options and as I've heard him described as a 'joint compromised athlete' maybe the view has been to manage him here.

'Joint compromised athlete'? Someone has a photo stashed away of him smoking a spliff?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No-one is perfect. I didn't like Snodgrass, I did like Farke, I thought Cantwell was the cause of his own problems, I don't like the way some fans turn on Idah......in other words I have varying views about all sorts of things, but one thing is clear - the club have seen something in Idah and have invested in his future and the least we can do is support the guy in his development. 

We need to be patient with young players - unless they make themselves a problem like (arguably) Cantwell did. If we don't what is the point in having young players?

But Idah is not really young anymore is he at 23? He should have started scoring regularly by now instead of just 1 or  2 each season. He’s overhyped as with many City youngsters sadly, do you truthfully think he can score 20 goals next season? I think we would be lucky to see him get 5 in all honesty, his development has gone stale, just as Aarons has too sadly as he’s been here too long and found his ceiling. Where are the big clubs now with regards to Aarons? Nowhere. That says a lot about how he’s gone backwards sadly just as Idah has been overhyped. 

Edited by TheBaldOne66
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

But Idah is not really young anymore is he at 23? He should have started scoring regularly by now instead of just 1 or  2 each season. He’s overhyped as with many City youngsters sadly, do you truthfully think he can score 20 goals next season? I think we would be lucky to see him get 5 in all honesty, his development has gone stale, just as Aarons has too sadly as he’s been here too long and found his ceiling. Where are the big clubs now with regards to Aarons? Nowhere. That says a lot about how he’s gone backwards sadly just as Idah has been overhyped. 

He's 22, that's still young for a striker. Most strikers don't reach their potential until around 27/28 years old. We've literally just seen that for ourselves with Carlton Morris, but there's hundreds of examples.

The fact he's in and around the first team of a Championship / Premier League side suggests he's not doing too badly. I don't think we need him to score 20 goals this season.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

He's 22, that's still young for a striker. Most strikers don't reach their potential until around 27/28 years old. We've literally just seen that for ourselves with Carlton Morris, but there's hundreds of examples.

The fact he's in and around the first team of a Championship / Premier League side suggests he's not doing too badly. I don't think we need him to score 20 goals this season.

Which Premier League club? We certainly aren’t one are we? 

3 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Which Premier League club? We certainly aren’t one are we? 

We were just over a year ago weren't we? And he played and scored in the Premier League, because he was in around the first team. That's testament to any 22 year old striker. It's not commonplace.

I'd love to know how many goals people expect Idah to have scored last season. Strikers are pretty much reliant on the players behind them to provide goalscoring chances. Last season Idah had an xG of around 3, from a total of 30 shots or so. Firstly that's a small sample size but secondly it's not the sort of underlying profile that creates a prolific goalscorer.

If you want a striker to score 20 goals you probably need said striker to take 100+ shots, and that's not just any shot but they also need to be shots from good goalscoring positions. There's not many footballers in history who could both create the opportunity and take the shot themselves.

If Idah had registered 10xG this past year and only scored 2 goals I'd say fair enough but that isn't what has happened. We'll never see how good he can be if we are as underwhelming in attack as we were last season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Carlton Morris didn't fulfill his potential until he reached 27. Can we afford to wait another 5 years to see if Idah can do the same? 

We certainly do need a forward that will score us 20+ goals in the Championship next season if we are to be anywhere near successful. Additionally we will probably need a number of other players on 10+ goals. Unfortunately I have seen no evidence that Idah will fall into either category. Poor touch, not tactically aware and cannot use his physique to hold up the ball. These failings, coupled with his inability to take the goal scoring chances that he had, suggest that he is unlikely to make it. Morris showed a number of the necessary characteristics at an early age. 

The trouble is I still don't know what type of striker he is so I wouldn't know how we're supposed to either provide him service or if we're not expecting him to score many but assist the team and help in build up play. 

Early on I was reminded of Oliviera with him picking the ball up deeper, taking some good long range shots and hassling the opposition but not really coming across as a poacher type striker but after watching him a lot last season I can't really see what he's trying to be or how his team mates are supposed to work with him. I wonder if other members of our squad are thinking the same, they probably see him do great things in training which is why he's highly rated but don't really know how to play to his strengths because from my point of view at least i don't see much of a pattern to his game, he tries to do a bit of everything but ends up all over the place not really causing any danger for the opposition or really helping out our build up play much. I wonder if that's down to him or our coaches though

7 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Carlton Morris didn't fulfill his potential until he reached 27. Can we afford to wait another 5 years to see if Idah can do the same? 

We certainly do need a forward that will score us 20+ goals in the Championship next season if we are to be anywhere near successful. Additionally we will probably need a number of other players on 10+ goals. Unfortunately I have seen no evidence that Idah will fall into either category. Poor touch, not tactically aware and cannot use his physique to hold up the ball. These failings, coupled with his inability to take the goal scoring chances that he had, suggest that he is unlikely to make it. Morris showed a number of the necessary characteristics at an early age. 

Yes but that forward is likely to be Sargent who was only 4 goals away from comfortable league winners Burnley's top scorer, and Sargent missed a world cup chunk and was played out of position for periods.

If Idah can offer 5-10 goals from the bench over a season, which I believe he can, he is worth keeping.

Idah has actually done more and proven more ability than Morris had done at this point in his career. Morris hadn't come close to scoring a hattrick in championship football, hadn't led the line in the Premier League and scored against Everton. 

I would suggest our club have generally been pretty good at developing young players and if Idah isn't immediately jeered for touching the ball when he plays next season he stands at least half a chance.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes but that forward is likely to be Sargent who was only 4 goals away from comfortable league winners Burnley's top scorer, and Sargent missed a world cup chunk and was played out of position for periods.

If Idah can offer 5-10 goals from the bench over a season, which I believe he can, he is worth keeping.

Idah has actually done more and proven more ability than Morris had done at this point in his career. Morris hadn't come close to scoring a hattrick in championship football, hadn't led the line in the Premier League and scored against Everton. 

I would suggest our club have generally been pretty good at developing young players and if Idah isn't immediately jeered for touching the ball when he plays next season he stands at least half a chance.

I hope that you are right, but I fear not. We do, in my opinion, need to sign an additional striker. One that offers something different to what we currently have so that it increases our options depending on circumstances. 

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

do you truthfully think he can score 20 goals next season?

Yes I do. Fully fit, plenty of starts, played in the right position and as his confidence grows, I can see him scoring quite a few goals.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes I do. Fully fit, plenty of starts, played in the right position and as his confidence grows, I can see him scoring quite a few goals.

That, I'm afraid, is utter nonsense. What next ?  The wrong haircut.  He IS  fit, otherwise he would not have been played. Would 'plenty of starts' mean all the time he missed or was offside they would have been changed, after about the 4th or 5th go ?.

"the right position "? He is a forward. Sara, Nunez. Gibbs have all scored. Were they in 'their right position ' when they scored.  As to the confidence tosh, that is up there with 'the dog ate my homework

Idah has been exposed for the lack of ability and ball control he has. Whether he can develop those skills elsewhere (loan) is  a moot point. What is not is that we should carry a lame duck through the season. Because he might come good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

That, I'm afraid, is utter nonsense. What next ?  The wrong haircut.  He IS  fit, otherwise he would not have been played. Would 'plenty of starts' mean all the time he missed or was offside they would have been changed, after about the 4th or 5th go ?.

"the right position "? He is a forward. Sara, Nunez. Gibbs have all scored. Were they in 'their right position ' when they scored.  As to the confidence tosh, that is up there with 'the dog ate my homework

Idah has been exposed for the lack of ability and ball control he has. Whether he can develop those skills elsewhere (loan) is  a moot point. What is not is that we should carry a lame duck through the season. Because he might come good.

He is a human being, not a robot and humans take differing lengths of time to evolve - and you dismiss confidence as if it is not important, but confidence is a huge factor in football.

It's like a jigsaw puzzle, you have all the parts but they do not yet make a picture - and the aim is to get all the parts working together to get the full picture. And confidence is a huge factor in that - ask any striker.

Edited by lake district canary

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I don't think we need him to score 20 goals this season.

That's a relief.

• Haha 5

Can all those who make excuses and defend Adam Idah agree that this coming season should be definitely be his last chance?

That if he doesn't make it then the boy is a lost cause as far as City are concerned?

It's not as if he hasn't had enough exposure and sufficient for many to have written him off already, whilst others still see that glimmer of hope.

I dearly hope he succeeds as the Adam Idah saga has gone on far too long already, but it's touch and go at the best for me. 

Perhaps Christophe Tzolis could do with another run-out on here. It's been a while.

Edited by BroadstairsR

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

We were just over a year ago weren't we? And he played and scored in the Premier League, because he was in around the first team. That's testament to any 22 year old striker. It's not commonplace.

Over a year ago and how did he do? He set the world on fire then too didn’t he? You really do come across as deluded. Yes we were a PL team OVER a year ago weren’t we? You sound like a scum fan living on past glories ffs, only our last two forays in the big time were hardly glorious were they?  Some of what you post is so funny it beggars belief. He scored the grand total of ONE goal in the EPL, he hasn’t scored off his National team in god knows how many games and yet you think he’s a potential world class striker from the absolute guff you posted about him. Dear oh dear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Over a year ago and how did he do? He set the world on fire then too didn’t he? You really do come across as deluded. Yes we were a PL team OVER a year ago weren’t we? You sound like a scum fan living on past glories ffs, only our last two forays in the big time were hardly glorious were they?  Some of what you post is so funny it beggars belief. He scored the grand total of ONE goal in the EPL, he hasn’t scored off his National team in god knows how many games and yet you think he’s a potential world class striker from the absolute guff you posted about him. Dear oh dear. 

I know you're still a little embarrassed from throwing away your season ticket after Farke's first season because you "thought the club was going nowhere" (just two Championship titles playing scintillating football, no wonder you're so angry) - see how easy it is to make personal jibes? There's plenty more from your posting history...

There's a big gap between "world on fire" "world class" and being a good option for Norwich City Football Club.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I know you're still a little embarrassed from throwing away your season ticket after Farke's first season because you "thought the club was going nowhere" (just two Championship titles playing scintillating football, no wonder you're so angry) - see how easy it is to make personal jibes? There's plenty more from your posting history...

There's a big gap between "world on fire" "world class" and being a good option for Norwich City Football Club.

Wow! Really? Why would I be angry? I’ve never regretted giving up my ticket, my life is good so why would I regret it, as there’s a whole lot more out there than football! 

So you keep all my posts then do you? Ha ha, if that’s not stalking I don’t know what is. You just don’t seem to understand that some things at NCFC are really not as good as you think they are through your green and yellow goggles and one of the biggest is Adam Idah, he really is not very good at all. Yes the club gave him a 5 year contract but that just shows yet another crazy decision from the Sportinv Director, who also isn’t really very good, that’s my opinion of course, but yours thinks all things are absolutely fantastic at Carrow Road where in reality there isn’t much that’s good currently, but you keep believing it’s an admiral thing to do, I’m sure the men in white coats will be along soon to get you. Have a great weekend, I will!