Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Jed Steer

Is to leave Villa after 10 years this summer. What a total waste of a career... I can remember there being a fair bit of hype around him when he was 18 and to think he's just whittled it all away with crap loans and being second choice at a lower PL team and even for three years a Championship team, it seems so disappointing.

I suppose it probably tells you something about his drive and attitude in itself that he's wasted his time like that.

Yea I don’t think it’s a waste. Is it better to occasionally test yourself against the best or play week in week out at a lower level?

He’s financially set for life as well as others say.

Some players really love football and just want to play, but every team needs backups and I don’t think you can dismiss guys doing that role as lazy.

• Thanks 1

If Tim was to leave I think he would be a great back up to Angus.  I wonder what he fancies doing next?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

If Tim was to leave I think he would be a great back up to Angus.  I wonder what he fancies doing next?

Me too. Another free agent, and although he only has 57 Championship appearances I still think he would be good enough to be a Championship backup. It’s just we don’t have anyone ready to replace Krul (McGovern is out of contract and the likes of Barden/Mair/McCracken/Berry and co are all inexperienced)

Edited by HazzaJet

14 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I was thinking that. Frees up the youngsters for quality game time out on loan.

Christ he has aged, He looks in his 50s'. I wonder if he has a Brummie accent to go with that 'Wild Man of the Woods' look ?

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Daniel Barden has come through difficult circumstances in his life. He is now 21. I think he must be considered as backup to Angus. McCracken is 23. Not young loanees anymore. They must be in consideration or clog up the sytem for the next ones coming through.

I genuinely think we should loan out all the young keepers, place them at the best place and level for their development, and keep them playing.  Look how long it takes for them to mature, Angus is 27

9 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I genuinely think we should loan out all the young keepers, place them at the best place and level for their development, and keep them playing.  Look how long it takes for them to mature, Angus is 27

We do already do that, problem is they don’t get games unless they go down into non league. Archie Mair only came on for Notts County for the pens, previous to that he’d hardly played. I think a couple of them just need to leave us.

13 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Yes. Quite a bizarre idea that a young keeper should sit out a season on the bench, on the off chance Gunn is injured.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Daniel Barden has come through difficult circumstances in his life. He is now 21. I think he must be considered as backup to Angus. McCracken is 23. Not young loanees anymore. They must be in consideration or clog up the sytem for the next ones coming through.

At 23 with very little experience, I can’t see McCracken coming through the youth ranks. Barden has certainly come through difficult circumstances, but considering he’s already 21 I think for him to come through the ranks he needs to go out on loan and get regular first team football next season, preferably no lower than the fifth tier. Need to send several of our youth keepers out on loan too