Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

**The official Coronation match thread**

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

The Marchioness of Cholmondeley?? They're just playing with the "random title generator".

Pretty little thing isn't she? Your next Queen. Allegedly.Ā 

Screenshot_20230506_165635_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a95ab33a6541e9ff4cd29104495770c9.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

I've not seen one minute of it so far. But how long will it be before I'm safe? Tomorrow morning?

No news to be watched or listened to of course.

Mrs S and I are trying to do a bit of a Likely Lads šŸ˜Š...for older folk who may recall Bob and Terry trying not to know the England score all day so they could watch the match in the evening on TV (of course the game was called offšŸ˜…).

Ā 

Wednesday morning will be safe enough to read a newspaper or watch the TV.

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I've not seen one minute of it so far. But how long will it be before I'm safe? Tomorrow morning?

No news to be watched or listened to of course.

Mrs S and I are trying to do a bit of a Likely Lads šŸ˜Š...for older folk who may recall Bob and Terry trying not to know the England score all day so they could watch the match in the evening on TV (of course the game was called offšŸ˜…).

Ā 

Some people missed the moon landing also and now believe it all happened in a warehouse in the Nevada desert.

History moves on and whether we watch it or not makes no difference.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Im not a God botherer myself but if it means somethingĀ  to them then i can stand a few minutes of boredom.

All things considered I think it went off well. I dontĀ  expect to see anotherĀ  one.

To be fair Ricardo, its probably a small percentage of us who were born for both of them.

52 minutes ago, Herman said:

The Marchioness of Cholmondeley?? They're just playing with the "random title generator".

This story has been around for yonks and possibly may, er, have some basis in fact.

1 minute ago, MooreMarriot said:

National anthem booed relentlessly at the start of Liverpool vs Brentford.

You love to see it. #Notmyking

1 minute ago, MooreMarriot said:

National anthem booed relentlessly at the start of Liverpool vs Brentford.

The Republic of Liverpool. They think they are the only ones.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Some people missed the moon landing also and now believe it all happened in a warehouse in the Nevada desert.

History moves on and whether we watch it or not makes no difference.

Oh I'm not bothered it has happened (and have no problem either for those who want to watch it, nor folk being patriotic) - just can't be doing with pageantry and seeing all the fawning on show. It's all a bit weird. Not my thing at all.Ā 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be fair Ricardo, its probably a small percentage of us who were born for both of them.

Indeed.

If we had a president we would get this every four or eight years.

• Like 1

Can't really take the ranting of Celtic fans seriously. They think they're a proper football team despite playing in a pub league.

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Oh I'm not bothered it has happened (and have no problem either for those who want to watch it, nor folk being patriotic) - just can't be doing with pageantry and seeing all the fawning on show. It's all a bit weird. Not my thing at all.Ā 

Well at least the republicans had a nice edgey time booing kids waving the Union Jack.šŸ˜‰

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed.

No we wouldn't; The flummery is all down to the monarchy. You would not have that with a republican president.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed.

Yes. I am a Republican but realise we could have ended up with Laurence Olivier, Charlie Chester, Frank Ifield, Cliff Richard, Monty Don, Harry StylesĀ or Simon Cowell as our Leader.

However, I do see our President as more ceremonial like Ireland.

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. I am a Republican but realise we could have ended up with Laurence Olivier, Charlie Chester, Frank Ifield, Cliff Richard, Monty Don, Harry StylesĀ or Simon Cowell as our Leader.

However, I do see our President as more ceremonial like Ireland.

Germany is a good model, withĀ the chancellor as the political leader and a respected figure as the non-partisan president. And the inaugurations of the latter seem to be admirably brief and lacking in archaic flummery or religious nonsense:

Ā 

Frank-Walter Steinmeier becomes Germany's new president - YouTube

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I didn't watch any of the 'event' today.

What is this with the screens, did they explain this?

I believe he got took short.

24 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Can't really take the ranting of Celtic fans seriously. They think they're a proper football team despite playing in a pub league.

I went to the pre-season friendly at Celtic Park. Outside the ground they seemed to be OK, chatted about the game etc., no hint of trouble.

Inside the ground theyĀ turned into an anti-British mob, all the music was Irish folk songs, any City flags that contained a Union flag was booed and prompted anti-British and anti-Queen songs. It was comically hostile.

My nephew who lives in Glasgow said it's more about being anti Rangers as they represent the UK.

Ā 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No we wouldn't; The flummery is all down to the monarchy. You would not have that with a republican president.

The difference is the monarch is also supreme head if the Church of England. We can thank Henry viii for that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I didn't watch any of the 'event' today.

Ā 

You missed a treat and some great commentary from David Olusoga, the history guy from " A house through time". Very interestingĀ  stuff.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

The difference is the monarch is also supreme head if the Church of England. We can thank Henry viii for that.

Once the UK finally grows up and becomes a republic and cuts any ties to organised religion then the head of a privatised royal family can pretend to be head any unrecognised fringe group they like.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You missed a treat and some great commentary from David Olusoga, the history guy from " A house through time". Very interestingĀ  stuff.

How about a Ricardo 'match report' of the Coronation?

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This story has been around for yonks and possibly may, er, have some basis in fact.

I remember having to look up one of the acts that is mentioned a lot. One of those times that I wished I hadn't been so curious.šŸ˜²šŸ„“

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

How about a Ricardo 'match report' of the Coronation?

The bike ride home would see me off.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Once the UK finally grows up and becomes a republic and cuts any ties to organised religion then the head of a privatised royal family can pretend to be head any unrecognised fringe group they like.

A few republics I can think off might not be OK with that. Iran, N Korea etc.