cambridgeshire canary

Idah in a post Pukki Norwich..

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

When Pukki was out he did step up, and was joint top scorer in the league, unless i've remembered things incorrectly?

Sarge has scored once, possibly twice since the World Cup. Dowell has actually scored more times than he has.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Sarge has scored once, possibly twice since the World Cup. Dowell has actually scored more times than he has.

I'm referring to when Pukki was out and he was provided the focus to be our main striker.   I'm not looking to argue or play games, but sure that during that period he was at least joint top scorer in the league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

We'll bring someone else in and we have Sarge. No need to jump on Idah, he's young and still got a few seasons before we start heaping pressure on his shoulders.

Almost exactly a year between the two. Both born in February, Idah is 22, Sargent 23. 

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

Almost exactly a year between the two. Both born in February, Idah is 22, Sargent 23. 

I get that, but game-time is where you earn experience on the field, not number of years lived.   I'm older than both, but it means nothing.

First team (club football) comparison:

Sarge: ~9,500 mins across 147 matches (64 mins per match average) = Equivalent of 105 full (90 min) matches

Idah: ~2,500 mins across 74 matches (33 mins per match average) = Equivalent of 27 full (90 min) matches.

A world of difference, Idah not helped with our time in the prem league and Pukki playing solo.  Has not even played the equivalent of a full season yet.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I get that, but game-time is where you earn experience on the field, not number of years lived.   I'm older than both, but it means nothing.

First team (club football) comparison:

Sarge: ~9,500 mins across 147 matches (64 mins per match average) = Equivalent of 105 full (90 min) matches

Idah: ~2,500 mins across 74 matches (33 mins per match average) = Equivalent of 27 full (90 min) matches.

A world of difference, Idah not helped with our time in the prem league and Pukki playing solo.  Has not even played the equivalent of a full season yet.

Sure, but you were talking about age.

In fairness to both - Sargent has only really been played through the middle this season and even then, for the games Pukki was unavailable. Idah has had the same problem really - though he has also had injury issues.

Just now, chicken said:

Sure, but you were talking about age.

I just think he needs more seasons under his belt before we can start to point the finger as soon as Pukki announces he's leaving.

If you read that purely as age that's not what I meant, so apologies.

Can always attempt a 442 a la 80s Watford i guess?! 

Makes more sense to be getting to the byline and putting in crosses or lumping it up than trying to play on the floor with those two up top. 

Might even work in the champs too?!

3 hours ago, Canario said:

Can always attempt a 442 a la 80s Watford i guess?! 

Makes more sense to be getting to the byline and putting in crosses or lumping it up than trying to play on the floor with those two up top. 

Might even work in the champs too?!

Yes, the ugly hoofball we saw on Saturday, with the ball flying repeatedly over Pukki's head, might become the future with Sargent and Idah as our strikers. It seems certain we can forget all about deft little flick-ons or clever build-up play with that pair up top. Our only chance will be hoofball. It might work in terms of points accrued, but the Farke era will become ancient history in the process.

14 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I really don't understand the negativity about his contract. Surely it just gives the club control? He turns into the player they hope he will, hopefully the length of the contract means we'll be able to command a decent fee for him if bigger clubs are interested. If those who see him as a L1 striker are correct, then at least we'll get some money for him if we decide to offload him to a club below us (assuming we aren't a L1 club by then...). And of course it doesn't stop him going on loan next season. Really don't understand why the contract is being used as a stick to beat him with. What's the downside?

The downside is 2 years into it and he's still not showing any signs of being anywhere near good enough and we're lumbered with a player we can't shift who's still got 3 years on his deal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As someone described him on a recent matchday thread 'he has the first touch of a trampoline'. 

People do take note of my ramblings on here 😁🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Still got few seasons? Don't think football works like that. What,give him until he's 24,25 until we see the investment come to fruition? God,we'll be in Div.1 by then!!

Carlton Morris? Only came good after leaving us and at about 25/6.

Sargent may only be a year older but has a far richer experience in view of his time in Germany, the Premier League and the US national team. Idah's experience is largely based on scraps and injury.

At this point in time Sargent starts next season as the senior striker and it's him who needs to step up.

Edited by Capt. Pants

I don't get why fans have put pressure / given stick towards Idah for a 5 year contract they have absolutely no idea what it entails. Ditto blaming Webber for securing the club with what they deem to be an asset (and in recent history, the likes of Jose Mourinho have agreed).

Ultimately he's not had a proper run in his natural position. I have no idea if he'll be good enough but I guarantee the same people mocking him and our decision to sign him to a contract would have done the same with Carlton Morris, would have done the same with Grant Holt had we been Forest and played him on the wing for most of his time....

In terms of contract - something I've never agreed with but reality is youth products are often paid far less than players signed from other clubs - there's been so many examples from research done on this. There's equal possibility Idah is on very low wages (comparatively) but with a secured future.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't get why fans have put pressure / given stick towards Idah for a 5 year contract they have absolutely no idea what it entails.

Me neither, his wages are probably around McGovern's (Who's coming in to his 7th year here).

This is entirely about asset managing and a deal clearly become available that made financial sense.  People acting like he should be the new messiah today as we've invested some belief into him longer term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Sargent and Idah are centre forwards. Judge them after they have had a good run in their proper position. 

I don't think that either have shown any evidence that they are capable enough to warrant starting as the main striker. New forwards required in the summer.