Sign in to follow this  
City fan

Unfortunately

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Our relegation to League One was the result of several years of decline, starting with us finishing 9th in our first year of parachute payments after sacking the manager we were relegated with in 2005/06.

Ok mate so take what you have said and apply it to what I have and what do you get? 

certainly not relegation to league one next season 

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You're cutting the OP way too much slack there. They said we'd be in a relegation battle next season, which would make this season 2007/8.

And that's before taking the first sentence at first value: "The current atmosphere at the club and football on the on the pitch is similar to when city dropped into league 1 a few years ago."

The OP is, frankly, bóllocks.

With got a few more talented young players this time, so think we'll be alright.

Tomkinson, AO, Mumba, Gibbs, Rowe. 

We only really had Korey Smith and Chris Martin who were the real deal + first team ready that time (then Tom Adeyemi pop up once relegated).

5 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Ok mate so take what you have said and apply it to what I have and what do you get? 
certainly not relegation to league one next season 

I have absolutely no idea what to expect next season, I do worry massively about Adam Idah being given a 5 year deal just as we all realise that Pukki is finished.

Right now it feels like we're entirely dependent on Josh Sargent stepping up and nailing the number 9 spot, but he's arguably the one player who looked more of a goal threat under Dean Smith than he does under Wagner. I think Wagner needs to bite the bullet and give Sargent the rest of this season up top. If he can bang in a few between now and the end of the season my optimism levels will rise.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

With got a few more talented young players this time, so think we'll be alright.

Tomkinson, AO, Mumba, Gibbs, Rowe. 

We only really had Korey Smith and Chris Martin who were the real deal + first team ready that time (then Tom Adeyemi pop up once relegated).

Wherever we finish this season, if we keep Wagner and Webber I would be extremely confident of finishing higher next season (unless we sneak up via the playoffs, of course). If we're anywhere near the bottom half of the table by October/November time, I would be extremely surprised.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I have absolutely no idea what to expect next season, I do worry massively about Adam Idah being given a 5 year deal just as we all realise that Pukki is finished.

Right now it feels like we're entirely dependent on Josh Sargent stepping up and nailing the number 9 spot, but he's arguably the one player who looked more of a goal threat under Dean Smith than he does under Wagner. I think Wagner needs to bite the bullet and give Sargent the rest of this season up top. If he can bang in a few between now and the end of the season my optimism levels will rise.

For me it depends on what style of football we intend to play. Yes, if we just hoof the ball forward, Sargent will pick up some goals because of his nuisance value. But if we want someone leading the attack who can help to create goals (Pukki, despite the drop-off in his form has got seven assists this season), IMO Sargent just doesn't have the technical ability to do that. His first touch is woeful and he also lacks the quick thinking necessary for that role.

On 16/03/2023 at 08:53, Dean Coneys boots said:

Since then recruitment  has gone down the toilet. We are back where we started. We might get lucky again with a new free Pukki and an Emi. But equally we might not this time. Bottom line is that the club has squandered nearly £80million assembling a rank average championship side. With many leaving this summer wages will be available- but there is no cash for a major rebuild which is needed. So get used to L1 standard crock Idah leading the attack for seasons to come 

No it hasn't. And no we're not! 

Sargent and Idah both offer more than Oliveira. Hernandez is better than Marley Watkins. I suppose you'll argue Husband is better than McCallum? 1st season Lewis Vs Giannoulis - despite what some say, I'm not sure there's much between them.

I really do get fed up with this rubbish being rolled out over and over again when the demonstrable truth is so far the opposite it's unreal.

It's not that our recruitment hasn't got better - I would take Gibbs over Trybull (just another one), it's that when we had a shot at the PL with some actual money, we fell short. Otherwise there is absolutely no argument we are better. Even a second string would arguably be better than the majority of what was our first team back in our first season under Farke and Webber. 

14 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Wherever we finish this season, if we keep Wagner and Webber I would be extremely confident of finishing higher next season (unless we sneak up via the playoffs, of course). If we're anywhere near the bottom half of the table by October/November time, I would be extremely surprised.

100% this.

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think the most significant thing that needed to go right has already happened, and that's getting Deano and Shakey out of the club and reverting to a manager who wants to play brave front-foot football. As we saw with Farke, that kind of football doesn't click overnight. We've seen flashes of it, but with a full summer window and pre-season (not to mention parachute payments and possible additional investment from the Attanasios), I trust Wagner to get us competing at the right end of the table.

Personally, I don't think you can overstate quite how appalling an appointment Dean Smith was. Still can't get my head around how they threw themselves at him so quickly after Farke's departure.

I thought most / all this future income stream has been spent? A point you effectively make a bit later on! That money can't be spent twice. That is why the club have been so desperate for promotion.   

16 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Only read your comment so far and I hope others have pulled you up on this 

no where near the situation when we dropped into league one

> league one we had 9 loan players was it? And the squad was ageing and not up to it - we currently have a young squad with a few talented players within that: sara, Aarons 

> when we went into league one the training ground was falling apart and in some aspects so was the stadium. We now have a state of the art training ground and stadium is looking better than it ever has 

> when we got relegated to league one, we had no idea in terms of back room recruitment, love Bryan Gunn but he was never going to succeed, we have a forward thinking manager now who has managed well at this level previously and managed in champions and top leagues in England and Germany 

before making reactionary and Ridiculous scare mongering posts, stop and have a little think about what you’re typing and how utterly cretinous it makes you sound 

The stadium has not changed in any meaningful manner since then. No new stands have been built and we still have that awful embarrassment of our 'Subbuteo' main stand! I suppose you could cite the 'revolving' scoreboard / information board thing but that truly is that!

On 16/03/2023 at 09:08, Bert said:

I think we can all safely say it was never ever ever this bad under Chris Hughton 

Unless you tried watching it 😒

Unfortunately it is obvious that some players in the squad absolutely do NOT want promotion. They feel that their own best interests lay in extending their first team presence by remaining in the Championship. They know that if NCFC get promotion then there is no way that they will be included in any Premiership side. They are simply not good enough. So why would they try for promotion and limit their own careers? After the pathetic showing against Sunderland at home and then throwing the game away against Huddersfield it is difficult not to draw the conclusion that some members of the squad just cannot be bothered. For instance , Huddersfield had not scored in nearly 8 hours of play until Hanley stepped up and knocked one in for them and then continued to pass square or backwards at every opportunity, inspirational!

Edited by kenfoggo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

The stadium has not changed in any meaningful manner since then. No new stands have been built and we still have that awful embarrassment of our 'Subbuteo' main stand! I suppose you could cite the 'revolving' scoreboard / information board thing but that truly is that!

Ignore... sorry, replied to wrong post!

Edited by Feedthewolf

7 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I thought most / all this future income stream has been spent? A point you effectively make a bit later on! That money can't be spent twice. That is why the club have been so desperate for promotion.   

Yes, that's a fair point and an oversight on my part.