Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Webber speaks again

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

Were they not very good getaway drivers either?

Hopefully those deceased inexperienced getaway driving Charlatan keyboard players were organ donors?

Anyway them  Spinal TaP drummers all died in mysterious circumstances....FACT!...

Listened to this podcast earlier.

Actually quite enjoyed it. It might be just me, but it sounded like Webber had mellowed a bit.

Was hoping the podcast would be a bit more Norwich/future focused but it was pretty much a Stuart Webber puff piece. 

Felt some of his comments about the press were intellectually dishonest, unless I'm mistaken and the club letting in the press before and after matches isn't a league requirement.

Failed to note that nobody would have cared about the mountaineering, and would have probably been seen as a positive, if he hasn't just blown the biggest budget the club had making the squad worse.

We all knew it already but he did admit that the EDP's piece that made him stop talking to the locals. I have sympathy for him there because it was a ****ty clickbait article but still think it was a massive mistake to pull down the iron curtain. A symbolic gesture that probably hurt the club and the fanbase more than the press themselves.

5 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Prefer ..........'mountebank' ..............sounds much more devious 😎  

Mountebank , what a brilliant word and description 👏 for this being. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

That's a poisoned chalice, both of them are dead... And not very good getaway drivers

Or did he fake his death and take up a career in sports business management? You never know...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Pretty sh*t plan then wasn't it since we knew Brexit was going to happen since the referendum in 2016, long before Webber walked through the door.

Yes, because Brexit was clearly a well-considered, detailed event that was meticulously planned down to the last circumstance well in advance. Of course we should have been able to look into the future and see past the lying slogans on buses and key people saying we would definitely stay in the European Economic Area, only to backtrack after the vote. 

F0879958-B73F-4BD3-9192-EF098862607D.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yes, because Brexit was clearly a well-considered, detailed event that was meticulously planned down to the last circumstance well in advance. Of course we should have been able to look into the future and see past the lying slogans on buses and key people saying we would definitely stay in the European Economic Area, only to backtrack after the vote. 

F0879958-B73F-4BD3-9192-EF098862607D.jpeg

Also, we did try and protect ourselves by setting up south American scouting networks some years ago! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Also, we did try and protect ourselves by setting up south American scouting networks some years ago! 

The club acting tactically and strategically at the same time... not bad, really!

I think anyone waiting for him to call last season signings a disaster is going to have to wait.

He simple is not going to do this while the majority of them are still at the club. It’s like an actor slagging off his latest movie while it is in Cinemas.

The owners contribution at Brentford of £65 million over a number of years has probably been largely compensated for by the larger public contributions at NCFC. That is not to mention our TV income during that period.

Owners at the likes of Middlesbrough and Blackburn do this too but overall, leaving aside TV receipts,  NCFCs finances are every bit as healthy.

The real question re Webber is can he do better with MA onside and/or can he deliver the 'rebel ideas' that he talked about previously? If so he has some mileage. If not his price is too high.

I’m a bit surprised this interview is getting so little reaction (or maybe I shouldn’t be) given the pages of rhetoric we saw when he first talked about his mountaineering aspirations.

I was a big fan of Webber when he arrived and whilst there was always a bit of arrogance about him, I admired his straightforward and honest approach.

Must admit my faith in him was seriously diminished by the comments re his commitment and I guess mainly due to how badly his signings worked out and how bad we performed on the pitch.

But he has won me back with this interview. Yeah the digs at local media are probably unnecessary but once again he is nothing but honest and comes across as just being human (including getting things wrong). The whole mountain climbing is put into perspective and I admire his desire for him (and other staff) to have interests and recognise the need to take some time away.

despite his perceived arrogance and reiteration about ‘ignoring the noise’ it is clear he has been badly affected by the abuse he has got and this seems to have made him decide he wants to work out of football next (he’s pitching big for a job in formula 1). That’s a bit sad and does make me think that many of us have over reacted in taking all our frustrations with the club out on him (something he will argue he has at least partially orchestrated).

Also worth noting that he is very clear that his and the clubs ambition is for us to be an established premier league team.

He’s certainly got me back on side and I’d really encourage everyone to give it a listen with an open mind. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I’m a bit surprised this interview is getting so little reaction (or maybe I shouldn’t be) given the pages of rhetoric we saw when he first talked about his mountaineering aspirations.

I was a big fan of Webber when he arrived and whilst there was always a bit of arrogance about him, I admired his straightforward and honest approach.

Must admit my faith in him was seriously diminished by the comments re his commitment and I guess mainly due to how badly his signings worked out and how bad we performed on the pitch.

But he has won me back with this interview. Yeah the digs at local media are probably unnecessary but once again he is nothing but honest and comes across as just being human (including getting things wrong). The whole mountain climbing is put into perspective and I admire his desire for him (and other staff) to have interests and recognise the need to take some time away.

despite his perceived arrogance and reiteration about ‘ignoring the noise’ it is clear he has been badly affected by the abuse he has got and this seems to have made him decide he wants to work out of football next (he’s pitching big for a job in formula 1). That’s a bit sad and does make me think that many of us have over reacted in taking all our frustrations with the club out on him (something he will argue he has at least partially orchestrated).

Also worth noting that he is very clear that his and the clubs ambition is for us to be an established premier league team.

He’s certainly got me back on side and I’d really encourage everyone to give it a listen with an open mind. 

Football fans are unfortunately notoriously bad for admitting where they might have got it wrong. Which is ironic because they've been crowing for Webber to admit mistakes (which he has in this interview, yet again to be ignored).

Is he the best Sporting Director in football? No. Is he the best a club our size could attract? Yep, I think so.

The pleasing thing for me is whenever he does leave he will have left behind a legacy of a Premier League class training facility and clear improvement in all facets of youth development. Of course, some are trying to undermine by saying that all this would have happened without him,  but that's with zero evidence coupled with the fact we've had more Prem leagues without Webber and not once have we made anything close to significant improvements.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Is he the best Sporting Director in football? No. Is he the best a club our size could attract? Yep, I think so.

I'll go with that. He's also a good project director, but a poor budget holder. Questions about his leadership exist, his ideas haven't all resulted in success.

A mixed bag, which leaves him open to criticism. His reaction to criticism is his biggest weakness. Ignore the noise indeed.

• Like 1