cambridgeshire canary

Todd "cryptic post" Cantwell has returned!

On 06/02/2023 at 17:31, Canary Pie said:

From the amount that CC writes about TC I would not be surprised if there is some sort of shrine in his house with TCs pic surrounded by candles and other stuff. TC is a classic narcicist and continuing to post about him is only going to feed his ego. Personally I look forward to the lazy entitled prcik ending up in a **** team in the lower divisions - his rangers honeymoon is unlikely to last.

He's already at division 1 level!

I agree with Chris Sutton if he’s got something to say just get it out in the public domain and over with.

My two pence is that Todd and his agent flipped in 2018/2019 when his contract was not upgraded like his peers Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey. Initially this actually motivated him and he produced his best form ousting Hernandez from the team I would imagine his agent saw this form and advised him not to sign a new deal at Norwich as it would hamper the chances of him being sold.

Given a move never materialised and neither did a new contract it seems neither side wanted to budge this ultimately effected his form and confidence. To the extend Bournemouth didn’t want him since  then he has been running his contract down until a club could scoop him up on a freeish transfer.

Personally I think the moral is take Career advice from someone who gets paid when you get sold with a pinch of salt.

6 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I agree with Chris Sutton if he’s got something to say just get it out in the public domain and over with.

My two pence is that Todd and his agent flipped in 2018/2019 when his contract was not upgraded like his peers Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey. Initially this actually motivated him and he produced his best form ousting Hernandez from the team I would imagine his agent saw this form and advised him not to sign a new deal at Norwich as it would hamper the chances of him being sold.

Given a move never materialised and neither did a new contract it seems neither side wanted to budge this ultimately effected his form and confidence. To the extend Bournemouth didn’t want him since  then he has been running his contract down until a club could scoop him up on a freeish transfer.

Personally I think the moral is take Career advice from someone who gets paid when you get sold with a pinch of salt.

i do not know just guessing

but i would have thought the club would have offered Cantwell quite a good deal 

He was on the up playing well then and it would have been in the clubs interest to keep him happy and sign a new contract 

then sell him for good money instead of next to nothing 

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Trye, Lee Marshall didn't get any grief for his TitTok videos, tweets or Instagram posts.

May have helped that Bebo and MySpace didn't even exist when he played for us.

No, but his attitude on the pitch at times was far worse than Cantwell's. And your comments pretty much sum up the issue. People are "perceiving" attitudes or issues via his social media channels when in reality, on the pitch, by just poor performances, Cantwell has never really stropped - certainly not to the same degree as the likes of Oliveira or even Buendia.

Yet here we are... people essentially fantasising about it. 

12 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It sounds as if the decision was made virtually as soon as Wagner got here that we wouldn't be renewing his contract, but I'm not convinced that was DW's decision. If that was the case Todd would have been hurt regardless if he wanted to stay here or not.

It's been said already, but I doubt it was down to the club deciding not to renew his contract. After all, he had been offered new contracts before and turned them down - as others have pointed out.

Above all else, the option of a year was taken up primarily because he would have left and gone for an arbitration value - which are typically incredibly low. It made sense to hope that if he refocused, as he did at the start of this season, he could play well and potentially increase whatever value we could get come January.

It would appear, that if anything, the decision - whoever made it - that he was going to go and that's it, was made during the break to the US. I say that because he was out of the squad on his return and as soon as January began he was said to be looking for a new club. Wagner was hardly in the door.

If you compare that to Dowell and Hernandez who are running down their contracts but applying themselves to the extent that there is every possibility that both could be given new ones (my belief is that they have already). Had Cantwell wanted to be here, he could be doing the same, equally he would have signed the contract/contracts offered to him previously, he didn't. As with Pukki, I doubt the contracts would have been rescinded unless the club could no longer afford the terms. Though it is also possible that the club decided that he was no longer worth those terms and retracted the offer. I think there were rumours that he wouldn't sit to negotiate a new contract... it's all possible. And all largely pointless speculation. 

• Like 1

Posting on Instagram 'I'm happy again, what a beautiful club'. ***. Off. You. Bell. End. He's a disrespectful little man child.

I hope we play Rangers in a friendly or something, he needs to be clattered by Hanley.

8 hours ago, chicken said:

No, but his attitude on the pitch at times was far worse than Cantwell's. And your comments pretty much sum up the issue. People are "perceiving" attitudes or issues via his social media channels when in reality, on the pitch, by just poor performances, Cantwell has never really stropped - certainly not to the same degree as the likes of Oliveira or even Buendia.

Point taken on Oliviera, his second season was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in football.

Just took 10 pot shots a game from impossible angles. Like he agreed to play in games but on the basis that he'd refuse to pass the ball and would only attempt worldies, even if the chances of pulling them off was 1%. And we had no choice but to go through with it because we had no other strikers. Very odd.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 hours ago, chicken said:

People are "perceiving" attitudes or issues via his social media channels when in reality, on the pitch, by just poor performances, Cantwell has never really stropped - certainly not to the same degree as the likes of Oliveira or even Buendia.

Generalisations like "people essentially fantasing about it" are not helpful. Some people may be fantasising about it, but not many that I have seen. Most people are just trying to make sense of it, in the absence of any clear information.....but there have been signs.  Cantwell may well have not stropped in public like Oliveira, but behind the scenes there have been clear hints at problems going on, right since that protracted contract signing in 2018/19.

At the very least he's clearly been badly advised along the way (I see he's changed agent which may say something) and he has said himself he is destined for the top "and no-one is going to stop me" - an attitude which affected his career at Norwich in not a good way. The complete opposite of "keep your feet on the ground" like other young players have had. The club will have tried to be fair to him, at least as fair as they could be - but if the player and his agent - have been difficult from the start, then it is no surprise that there was a fall out and a deteriorating situation. Farke too would want to have been fair last season, but the player had clearly annoyed him with the "he's not a teenager anymore" comment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Point taken on Oliviera, his second season was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in football.

Just took 10 pot shots a game from impossible angles. Like he agreed to play in games but on the basis that he'd refuse to pass the ball and would only attempt worldies, even if the chances of pulling them off was 1%. And we had no choice but to go through with it because we had no other strikers. Very odd.

Probably trying to improve his YouTube highlights reel.  You can fool some of the scouting departments some of the time after all. It seems to have worked for Tzolis ... 😉

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Generalisations like "people essentially fantasing about it" are not helpful. Some people may be fantasising about it, but not many that I have seen. Most people are just trying to make sense of it, in the absence of any clear information.....but there have been signs.  Cantwell may well have not stropped in public like Oliveira, but behind the scenes there have been clear hints at problems going on, right since that protracted contract signing in 2018/19.

At the very least he's clearly been badly advised along the way (I see he's changed agent which may say something) and he has said himself he is destined for the top "and no-one is going to stop me" - an attitude which affected his career at Norwich in not a good way. The complete opposite of "keep your feet on the ground" like other young players have had. The club will have tried to be fair to him, at least as fair as they could be - but if the player and his agent - have been difficult from the start, then it is no surprise that there was a fall out and a deteriorating situation. Farke too would want to have been fair last season, but the player had clearly annoyed him with the "he's not a teenager anymore" comment.

When people are obsessed with seeing something that isn't there, it's fantasising. It's not a 'generalisation' when saying "people essentially fantasising about it" - that would be claiming everyone is. There are people who are. Which hilariously you then do.

" there have been clear hints at problems going on, right since that protracted contract signing in 2018/19." There haven't been "clear hints". We were told by Farke that both he and Buendia had suffered from a lack of focus and suggested it was due to being linked to transfer speculation. This wasn't 2018/19, this was after relegation in the summer of 2020. However, he started the season still where as Buendia did not, which suggests his lack of focus wasn't as impactful as Buendia's.

So again, "clear evidence" is a stretch. There isn't really much evidence for anything "clear". He applied himself well at the start of last season in terms of work rate. And this season again and showed signs that he was getting back to his attacking proficiency too. The only other thing that is safe to say is that he has suggested he hasn't been happy.

Not overly surprised as the style of football and approach to our game over the last 18mths really would not have suited him. Some players are very much about enjoying their football. Bentley is a good example, and he found he was not enjoying it to such an extreme that he decided to retire for that reason alone, quite early.

If things were as clear as some people are making it out to be - like yourself, there wouldn't be all of this "what does he mean?" "silly cryptic messages" - because it'd be done and dusted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Exceptionally odd when you consider he was so very close to being a very good striker. He certainly could finish. Poor man's Giroud perhaps? With a bit more application under Farke especially.