Sign in to follow this  
king canary

The Last of Us

14 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Standout episode not so much for the overall quality of the episode, but for embracing its horror genre and not reining it in as much as you'd expect for a prime time TV. Also marks the beginning of the end for show really with the big bad guy basically being to corny and them finding the limit in the violence/threat stakes.

Incidentally if you want a TV show that entirely embraced horror despite its prime time status, watch Hannibal. 

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 18:00, keelansgrandad said:

Like you KC I didn't even know there was a video game.

As a piece of television viewing its worth watching. I just hope that they don't drag it out though and we end up with 3 series of them endlessly and aimlessly wandering.

There is a last of us part 1 and part 2 for the console game. I’ve not played it but apparently this show is completely following the story of the game, so I’d expect one more season. It has been incredibly entertaining so far.

Edited by Virtual reality

6 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

There is a last of us part 1 and part 2 for the console game. I’ve not played it but apparently this show is completely following the story of the game, so I’d expect one more season. It has been incredibly entertaining so far.

I haven’t played the games (although may do so after watching the show) but apparently the show is quite close. Although not identical - the Bill/Frank storyline is somewhat padded/imagined beyond what’s in the game I believe.

I read that the two games are some time apart and that there are a lot of flashbacks in the second game. So had seen a suggestion of possibly three seasons - with the second season mainly being the “flashbacks” of game 2 , and then season 3 being the main storyline of game 2. Having not played the games, I have no idea if that would “work”.

Can’t see it being one of those that drags on for 6 or 7 series and starts to get tedious though.

• Like 1

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Bella is absolutely brilliant in the series and the contrast with Pedro's monosyllabic script is good.

There are nine episodes in this series.

Totally agree she's fantastic. I enjoy that they've actually made her seem like a teenager, with fears, concerns and emotions and Joel appear vulnerable rather than making either or both of them wise-cracking badasses who always know what to do. 

• Like 1

The moral issue and indeed survival of the species issue was not a debate but a war. Very well handled. No grey areas.

Disappointed with the very end scene. Why not "put the kettle on". "OK" instead? Didn't imagine that ending at all.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The moral issue and indeed survival of the species issue was not a debate but a war. Very well handled. No grey areas.

Disappointed with the very end scene. Why not "put the kettle on". "OK" instead? Didn't imagine that ending at all.

I thought it was consistently outstanding.  I'm disappointed I have to wait until 2025 for the next series !

Sounds like they are planning at least 2 more series which will be following the part 2 video game (which I know nothing about).

37 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I thought it was consistently outstanding.  I'm disappointed I have to wait until 2025 for the next series !

Sounds like they are planning at least 2 more series which will be following the part 2 video game (which I know nothing about).

Should win a BAFTA

On 14/03/2023 at 17:20, It's Character Forming said:

Good! Kinda ruins it when you know what they're following so know what should happen next 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 20:30, keelansgrandad said:

I think Bella Ramsey, English by the way, is superb as Ellie. She really is the perfect foil for Pedro Pascal's character.

This doesn’t quite sound like my kind of thing (along with guitar and drum solos…) but Bella Ramsey was brilliant in Game of Thrones.

14 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Good! Kinda ruins it when you know what they're following so know what should happen next 

I think it depends on the type of viewer you are but I do agree having no prior knowledge can make shows like this much more enjoyable.

The amount of people I read in the comments of reviews of this show saying 'but this didn't happen in the game' or 'where was this part from the game?' was a bit sad. Had a similar thing with the hardcore GoT fans who would have tantrums if particular characters didn't appear or people didn't do exactly what they did in the books. My wife says the Kubrick Shining film isn't good because it isn't the same as the book- but it's a film, it shouldn't have to be. On the flip side American Gods by Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite books and I've never watched the Amazon series as I don't think it'll do it justice. 

53 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it depends on the type of viewer you are but I do agree having no prior knowledge can make shows like this much more enjoyable.

The amount of people I read in the comments of reviews of this show saying 'but this didn't happen in the game' or 'where was this part from the game?' was a bit sad. Had a similar thing with the hardcore GoT fans who would have tantrums if particular characters didn't appear or people didn't do exactly what they did in the books. My wife says the Kubrick Shining film isn't good because it isn't the same as the book- but it's a film, it shouldn't have to be. On the flip side American Gods by Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite books and I've never watched the Amazon series as I don't think it'll do it justice. 

I agree that people do take it too far, I've played the games and while things weren't one to one they did follow the main story and alot of it was spot on. Either way it was good and I look forward to the future seasons. 

I have to agree with your wife though, as much as I love the shining film (and doctor sleep for the sequel) the books are far superior and had they have followed them more closely, they would be one of the best horror film pairing out there not just another run of the mill. 

Never could get into GOT though. 🤷

Its the age old argument of book or film first. Now its game. I remember Mrs KG buying the Godfather book and reading it on the train up to ManC in 1972. We couldn't put it down. But that didn't detract from the movie which was brilliant just as a movie itself. Others, such as James Patterson, if you read the books, the movies, certainly the characters aren't what you imagined. Jack Reacher is a big bloke and Tom Cruise isn't.

I am not a gamer so had no idea about the series but, in the main, a thoroughly entertaining programme that I looked forward to each week. If I could have binge watched, I would have. Can they equal it with a second series? I'm not so sure. The scene has been set already so it would be difficult to improve.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its the age old argument of book or film first. Now its game. I remember Mrs KG buying the Godfather book and reading it on the train up to ManC in 1972. We couldn't put it down. But that didn't detract from the movie which was brilliant just as a movie itself. Others, such as James Patterson, if you read the books, the movies, certainly the characters aren't what you imagined. Jack Reacher is a big bloke and Tom Cruise isn't.

I am not a gamer so had no idea about the series but, in the main, a thoroughly entertaining programme that I looked forward to each week. If I could have binge watched, I would have. Can they equal it with a second series? I'm not so sure. The scene has been set already so it would be difficult to improve.

In regards to Jack reacher the tv series is fantastic. 

On 24/03/2023 at 10:01, keelansgrandad said:

To be fair the second game which I imagine the new tv series will be based on was very controversial and nowhere near as liked as the first game for reason I uh, won't spoil

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 09:24, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair the second game which I imagine the new tv series will be based on was very controversial and nowhere near as liked as the first game for reason I uh, won't spoil

Although, I thought the reason that uh we won't spoil 😉 was exactly what should happen, nothing lasts forever etc. Especially in that 'world' and I thought it was a very good way to advance the story and character building of certain characters needed something like that to advance. 🤷 Each to their own I guess