Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

What do we do with Nunez

I think Sara is the more aggressive of the two, both defending and attacking.. Nunez to me seems the kind of player that needs to know what his teammates are doing/will do to knit play effectively. 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think when DF was sacked, staying up was preferred to building.

Well, we still built. And continue to do so.

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think when DF was sacked, staying up was preferred to building.

Now promotion is preferred to building!   Hence we’re in decline and the players aren’t good enough…. Might get us promoted, but that’s different to actually competing at the next level!     

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

What are we building?    There’s been a marked decline this season, there’s no clear plan…. We’ve been developing a player for Villa and giving game time to a Newcastle player who won’t be signing if we don’t get promoted and further hasn’t offered us much quality as a CDM, plus is unlike to improve given his age, apparent fitness and ability.   We’ve given Kenny a new contract which suggests the club has lost its way or lost sight that the ambition is EPL football.   

On 31/12/2022 at 21:25, nutty nigel said:

Sorry, I can't go along with that. We let three of last year's signings go. We replaced with two players who some keep saying need time. And a loanee who hasn't played. And another who is now injured. 

We are demolishing.

On 31/12/2022 at 10:26, sgncfc said:

Nunez and Sara are clearly both good players but look completely lost. As we know, it's a team game - they don't fit at the moment. A new coach will have more chance of fitting them in but it will take time.

I wonder how their English currently is? Hopefully they’re getting up to speed with that so communication with teammates will be easier…

1 minute ago, Grando said:

I wonder how their English currently is? Hopefully they’re getting up to speed with that so communication with teammates will be easier…

The club do employ a full time translator for the pair of them so you'd imagine communication isn't the issue.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

The club do employ a full time translator for the pair of them so you'd imagine communication isn't the issue.

I genuinely don’t know how long it takes the average footballer to get up to speed with a new language… Any ideas? But if they’re still not up to scratch then the fact the club employ a translator won’t be much help when the players are on the pitch.

Nunez always seems to need more time on the ball than he gets and/or doesn’t have the awareness/peripheral vision to detect when he’s being pressed.

Could also be he’s trying too hard to play a key pass - the lack of movement around him to open up the simple options might just be exacerbating that. 

5 minutes ago, Grando said:

I genuinely don’t know how long it takes the average footballer to get up to speed with a new language… Any ideas? But if they’re still not up to scratch then the fact the club employ a translator won’t be much help when the players are on the pitch.

No idea but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they probably picked up football vocab pretty quickly. 

4 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Nunez always seems to need more time on the ball than he gets and/or doesn’t have the awareness/peripheral vision to detect when he’s being pressed.

Could also be he’s trying too hard to play a key pass - the lack of movement around him to open up the simple options might just be exacerbating that. 

Considering how brightly Nunez started I'd suggest it's more a tactics/confidence things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

No idea but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they probably picked up football vocab pretty quickly. 

Considering how brightly Nunez started I'd suggest it's more a tactics/confidence things.

Yeah, that was my steer with my second point. 

• Like 1

Both Nunez and Sara need to be given more time. It’s a lot to ask of them to come here and expect them to be able to hit the ground running. I have a feeling we will see better and more to come from both. When Nunez first arrived I thought there were lots of flashes of a player there. Confidence is going to be key. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sorry, I can't go along with that. We let three of last year's signings go. We replaced with two players who some keep saying need time. And a loanee who hasn't played. And another who is now injured. 

We are demolishing.

But we still built. For example last season we signed Gibbs from the binners into our academy and he's now a Championship player. This wouldn't have happened before.  Colney goes on improving at a rate. The Webber comments about p**ing money up the wall were because we'd spent every penny on poor signings and were scraping money from wherever we could to try and keep Cat One status. People have short memories. I'm not a great fan of Webber, I think he should grow a thicker skin, but the club is still in a good place and he still has credit for me.

Yes there's lots wrong on the pitch at the moment but Sara has been fine, gets better each game. Nunez gets worse each game. We have three strikers who would get into most Championship sides. We have yet to find a way of playing them. It's telling that although Nunez was clearly out of form none of the subs were deemed good enough to replace him. The last decent defensive midfielder we owned was Tettey and we signed him in 2012 that is something I struggle to understand.

I never wanted Farke sacked but there's a lot of reinventing of history by those who did. Smith did nothing memorable so I was 'meh' about whether he was sacked or not. Reading this forum tonight is like Smith was still there. It was different in the ground where the players responded to the fans and the fans responded to the players. It was better but of course the goal at the end deflated everyone as you would expect. Smith has been gone six days. The new man hasn't even been appointed. Surely patience is needed before judgement.

• Like 3