Sign in to follow this  
CardiffCanary

Wise words indeed

Love this last paragraph from Paddy in his last article about The smith era  ;

The fan base remains as loyal and as committed as they were before Smith, before Webber, before the majority shareholders. ‘It’s all our fault’ was the ironic refrain from a few who braved the cold of Kenilworth Road.

My question is this … we need to galvanise, we need our club back, we need a fresh start.  HOW ?!!!

Our club is still owned by us fans. So we have nothing to get back. However the future is beginning to look like our ownership is in its last days. Do we fight to keep it? Or let it go and live with the consequences. To be honest I don't think we have a say...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

Love this last paragraph from Paddy in his last article about The smith era  ;

The fan base remains as loyal and as committed as they were before Smith, before Webber, before the majority shareholders. ‘It’s all our fault’ was the ironic refrain from a few who braved the cold of Kenilworth Road.

My question is this … we need to galvanise, we need our club back, we need a fresh start.  HOW ?!!!

Moving back from Cardiff would be  good start! No wonder you need to be galvanised after that round trip for games! 😃

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Moving back from Cardiff would be  good start! No wonder you need to be galvanised after that round trip for games! 😃

🤣🤣at least the trip to Cardiff was easy !!

tbh most of my trips are away games with a handful of home games when visiting the family .  
However this season the home games I’ve been to it’s just felt like the support has been broken… completely understandable.  But , if this is our chance to have a watershed moment and begin a new era how do we do it ?

I thought it was 

‘Get rid of Webber ‘

which I’m still totally in favour of, but realistically it seems that ain’t happening.

So perhaps it’s ‘get the flags out and change the entrance music’

But I think we all know it’s deeper than that 

It goes beyond Carrow Road. Its in the DNA for many of us and we are delighted to have so many supporters who have chosen to become Canaries through choice.

Apart for a few shares, supporters aren't intrinsically the owners but as Double N says, the ownership of the club is morally and forever with the fans.

Times change and we have been overtaken by one form of progress. Corporate ownership. For us, we are hoping that Corporate US becomes our new owners.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. How many sets of fans are happy with their owners? I would wager very few.

Our dabbles in the EPL have not really made the club any bigger or better. Personally, I really loved our season in L1. Going to small grounds. Respected by non plastic supporters. Our Ginger Pele equaliser in stoppage time at Yeovil, was one of the greatest emotional moments in my 7 decades of support. We could hug and touch Gary as he celebrated with us.

I appreciate many of our younger fans have grown up with today's expectations and I do not begrudge them that. It probably has to be the future. And we have to accept it.

But we must never ever forget what this club was, is and make sure any pact with devil has a get out clause.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Completely agree …

I remember that season with great fondness.

I remember going to Trowse every half term with my dad to watch training when you could just wander round and watch the team train .

I remember going to Dave Stringers house after he threw in the towel just to have a chat !

Whilst I know some of these experiences will never happen to our younger fans …

Our club seemed to get back so many great community values under farke.  And we seemed to be one of the few ‘bigger’ clubs that was still in touch with its supporters.  However it all seems to have fallen off a cliff.

I just hope that bond can return 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It goes beyond Carrow Road. Its in the DNA for many of us and we are delighted to have so many supporters who have chosen to become Canaries through choice.

Apart for a few shares, supporters aren't intrinsically the owners but as Double N says, the ownership of the club is morally and forever with the fans.

Times change and we have been overtaken by one form of progress. Corporate ownership. For us, we are hoping that Corporate US becomes our new owners.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. How many sets of fans are happy with their owners? I would wager very few.

Our dabbles in the EPL have not really made the club any bigger or better. Personally, I really loved our season in L1. Going to small grounds. Respected by non plastic supporters. Our Ginger Pele equaliser in stoppage time at Yeovil, was one of the greatest emotional moments in my 7 decades of support. We could hug and touch Gary as he celebrated with us.

I appreciate many of our younger fans have grown up with today's expectations and I do not begrudge them that. It probably has to be the future. And we have to accept it.

But we must never ever forget what this club was, is and make sure any pact with devil has a get out clause.

Agree with all that but I'm not sure about this from I assume Paddy Davitt?

It's our club and I feel we've been lucky to come through the last 25 years with these owners who have supporters values.

I'm an old timer but don't go back as far as some. However it was my club for over 30 years before the current majority shareholders, it was Delia's club for over 25 years before the current majority shareholders, it was MWJ's club for over 40 years before the current majority shareholders. And there are probably hundreds of thousands similar tales.

Haven't seen the article so I'm not sure what Paddy's point was....

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not sure if fans of the original Wimbledon FC would agree…

11 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Not sure if fans of the original Wimbledon FC would agree…

Well the two or three thousand that used to turn up might have an argument.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well the two or three thousand that used to turn up might have an argument.

Genuinely curious whether they still feel ownership given that it’s now MK Dons? I expect not hence “used to turn up’

Wimbledon AFC is a different club

At, what I suspect is now just under 25%, I suspect our fan minority ownership is still more substantial than almost all other Clubs though would now be totally ineffectual even in the event of any more Special Resolutions.

If the majority shareholders have supporters values, they ought to be committed to changing that situation one way or another.

To be fair there seems to be some enthusiasm for reconvening regular fan roadshows so maybe still hope 

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I have no wish to put words in my fratello @nutty nigel ‘s mouth, though surely the point is that we are fan owned now…

..Delia and Michael are genuine fans. 

In that sense @essex canary I would think the figure is above 75%?

Parma

Wasn't it the Brighton owner who sat amongst his fans at a recent game rather than in the Directors box? A little bit different from imposing the away members charge whilst flying to matches.

Edited by essex canary
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Wasn't it the Brighton owner who sat amongst his fans at a recent game rather than in the Directors box? A little bit different from imposing the away members charge whilst flying to matches.

Anyone know any other directors who regularly sit with fans or mingle with them in concourses on matchdays? 

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

This is a beautiful post - and very wise words. I loved the L1 season too. When I think back to my happiest memories of supporting City, most of them are in the lower divisions. Now obviously this partly because we haven't had much recent top-flight success, but I do go back to the fifth, fourth and third-place finishes in the top flight in the late 80s and early 90s, as well as the European run. Can honestly say that Simeon Jackson's winner against Derby is as fond a memory for me as Kevin Drinkell's late winner against Liverpool, that Malky's last-minute goal in the play-off semi vs Wolves is up there with Goss's equaliser against Bayern.

The trick is to want the club to be as successful as possible while also remembering that the joy of being a fan has little to do with the league that your club is in.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I have no wish to put words in my fratello @nutty nigel ‘s mouth, though surely the point is that we are fan owned nor

..Delia and Michael are genuine fans. 

In that sense @essex canary I would think the figure is above 75%?

Parma

This is the point. And not just now but we've been 100% fan owned forever. It's worked well over the years. When times have been really tough other fans and the City /County itself have come to the rescue. Whether that was the whole City/County effort spearheaded by Lord Mayor Arthur South in the 50s or Watling, the two Michaels and Delia in the 90s or Shareholders and fans in the 00s. 

We are now going a different way. Attanasio seems ok but the club ownership will leave the fans and the City/County even the Country. If Attanasio works we may carry on toing and froing between the champs and the prem but if it all goes wrong it may be more difficult to motivate the City/County/fans to come to the rescue.

All I say is it's interesting times for us all.

As for this article, does anybody know what point was being made?

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This is the point. And not just now but we've been 100% fan owned forever. It's worked well over the years. When times have been really tough other fans and the City /County itself have come to the rescue. Whether that was the whole City/County effort spearheaded by Lord Mayor Arthur South in the 50s or the two Michaels and Delia in the 90s or Shareholders and fans in the 00s. 

We are now going a different way. Attanasio seems ok but the club ownership will leave the fans and the City/County even the Country. If Attanasio works we may carry on toing and froing between the champs and the prem but if it all goes wrong it may be more difficult to motivate the City/County/fans to come to the rescue.

Moving with the times and trying to maximise true potential is a great start. 

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Moving with the times and trying to maximise true potential is a great start. 

Is that what the article was about?

Well I think your Coventry and your binners thought they were moving with the times to maximise true potential...

It's like I said, interesting times.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well I think your Coventry and your binners thought they were moving with the times to maximise true potential...

It's like I said, interesting times.

Wise words Nutty. 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is the point. And not just now but we've been 100% fan owned forever. It's worked well over the years. When times have been really tough other fans and the City /County itself have come to the rescue. Whether that was the whole City/County effort spearheaded by Lord Mayor Arthur South in the 50s or Watling, the two Michaels and Delia in the 90s or Shareholders and fans in the 00s. 

If he did buy out the majority shareholding it would help perhaps if he bought a house in Norfolk and sent one of his sons to run the club for him / attend every home game! 

And just to be pedantic, the current owners don't live in the county and never have, they live in Suffolk.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

If he did buy out the majority shareholding it would help perhaps if he bought a house in Norfolk and sent one of his sons to run the club for him / attend every home game! 

And just to be pedantic, the current owners don't live in the county and never have, they live in Suffolk.

I don't care where they live they'd been going to Carrow Road for over 40 and over 25 years before they were majority shareholders. This Suffolk nonsense disregards that. In fact there's many long standing season ticket holders and shareholders who live in Suffolk. Some of them post on this board.

I don't really know why you want this argument it's not really relevant to the observation I was making.

Change is going to happen. It may be for the better but I suspect it will be much the same. And I doubt there's a local option even if we wanted one.

Now perhaps you can tell me the point of the quote in the opening post?

I’ll step back in nutty 

The Paddy article I originally refer to at the start of the post was titled ‘the sad demise of dean smith ‘ or something similar.

Paddy writes very eloquently about our current situation and finished the article with the paragraph at the top of this thread .

I don’t think it’s was at all a remark regarding where delia lives or her loyalty  but merely that many of us fans were here before Dean smith, before Webber and before the majority share holders.

So my question still remains it is OUR club and always will be and we need to get it back. How ? 

It maybe as simple as being the right manager in and we’ll get winning and get FCR rocking again 🙏

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't care where they live they'd been going to Carrow Road for over 40 and over 25 years before they were majority shareholders. This Suffolk nonsense disregards that. In fact there's many long standing season ticket holders and shareholders who live in Suffolk. Some of them post on this board.

I don't really know why you want this argument it's not really relevant to the observation I was making.

Change is going to happen. It may be for the better but I suspect it will be much the same. And I doubt there's a local option even if we wanted one.

I didn't realise we were having an argument, I thought I made it very clear that I knew I was being pedantic.

I was just making what I felt was a sensible suggestion, which is that if the majority shareholding does go to the Americans then it would be preferable if they weren't entirely absent owners, and that perhaps that problem could be solved if one of his sons took a seat on the board and relocated to Norfolk.

Can't see what is at all controversial about that. It would show a genuine commitment to the area and the club for a member of the family to uproot themselves and relocate thousands of miles away in a new country.

Also, I personally know one of the few people in the Norwich area to have (potentially) the required wealth to purchase the majority shareholding of this club, and he's such a massive bell end that I'd definitely choose the yanks over him.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You love the owners (and why shouldn’t you) some of us have been waiting a decade or more for them to let go, relax by the fire and let professionals move in. At last it’s on the horizon and I can’t wait. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't realise we were having an argument, I thought I made it very clear that I knew I was being pedantic.

I was just making what I felt was a sensible suggestion, which is that if the majority shareholding does go to the Americans then it would be preferable if they weren't entirely absent owners, and that perhaps that problem could be solved if one of his sons took a seat on the board and relocated to Norfolk.

Can't see what is at all controversial about that. It would show a genuine commitment to the area and the club for a member of the family to uproot themselves and relocate thousands of miles away in a new country.

Also, I personally know one of the few people in the Norwich area to have (potentially) the required wealth to purchase the majority shareholding of this club, and he's such a massive bell end that I'd definitely choose the yanks over him.

That isn't the point I was making. Sometimes it's difficult to have a discussion on here for the sake of the discussion. I didn't say you were in the right room for an argument, I was just pointing out that particular Suffolk argument had nothing to do with the point I was making and makes no sense when we have so many season ticket holders and shareholders live in Suffolk.

Anyway, I'm still not sure about the article this thread is about or what the quote in the opening post was meant to mean. I am destined never to find out.

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You love the owners (and why shouldn’t you) some of us have been waiting a decade or more for them to let go, relax by the fire and let professionals move in. At last it’s on the horizon and I can’t wait. 

It's interesting. No Lambert years, no Alex Neil play off success. No Farke years. But of course what you were waiting for could have been better.

However your other two clubs suggest a different outcome...