Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Please Not Russell Martin

Swans fans in anti Martin mood (again), I loved this one...............................................

Swansea have approached Norwich asking permission for them to start talks with Martin.

• Haha 1

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Swans fans in anti Martin mood (again), I loved this one...............................................

Swansea have approached Norwich asking permission for them to start talks with Martin.

Thats pretty funny fair play to them 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thats pretty funny fair play to them 

They really aren't happy with our boy! Talk of playing like 'statues' and 'walking football'. The Cook would love that style here from her own 'blue eyed boy'!!

Here's another great quote from an unhappy Jack.................................

Would be thrilled if Norwich would come in for Martin. The bloke's only real talent is PR so the best we can hope for is conning some club for compensation so we can move on.

I think Norwich have more sense than to fall for the blather, though. They need promotion, not fantasies about a man who is definitely going to turn the corner... any day now...

Although in many respects I am a fan of R Martin, IF he did get sacked (or is on the verge of being so) it would be stupidity for Webber AGAIN to do what he did last time round and appoint a 'failing' manager!

Ouch (again)!! Poor old boy, now where have I heard these kind of comments before about another manager!!!??

The most painfully abject football I’ve seen from a Swansea side since the turn of the century but even then there was drive and a bit of desire. Now our pedestrian and dull turgid style is turning fans away in droves.

If the present owners have any ambition for this club they should just cut our losses and jettison this passionless excuse for a football manager.

It would be stupidity to poach Martin from Swansea and pay compensation if they are on the verge of sacking him. 

If you were Webber and interviewing the managers on that list who do you think would impress him the most? I just have the feeling it would be Dyche or Wilder.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

It would be stupidity to poach Martin from Swansea and pay compensation if they are on the verge of sacking him. 

If you were Webber and interviewing the managers on that list who do you think would impress him the most? I just have the feeling it would be Dyche or Wilder.

But why would you take an apparent 'failing' manager even without shelling out any cash?? Jacks fans are livid with the boringly slow paced football with zero end product. HOWEVER, R Martin does talk a VERY impressive game so would stand out if he actually had an 'interview'.  

Wouldn't mind Wilder. Said before I'd take Dyche but I can understand why many would not. Someone mentioned Torsten Lieberknecht in another thread (was it @Making Plans?) showing excellent work with a Braunschweig side that was in real trouble and doing quite well with a typically fairly average Bundesliga II side that had a couple of top-flight nibbles in the not-too-distant past in SV Darmstadt.

Knutsen's the one who intrigues me. Winning the Norwegian top flight with a historically VERY unfancied side in Bodo/Glimt, then having to rebuild and keep them more than competitive in a Norwegian top flight which is decent - but somewhat concentrated with talent (usually Molde, Rosenborg then the rest) certainly speaks volumes for his ability to adapt on the fly. Besides, I'm sure he and Webber can pass on mountaineering tips.

Agree with who said Martin wouldn't get as much time due to his scapegoat status.

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

But why would you take an apparent 'failing' manager even without shelling out any cash?? Jacks fans are livid with the boringly slow paced football with zero end product. HOWEVER, R Martin does talk a VERY impressive game so would stand out if he actually had an 'interview'.  

Martin is at a big disadvantage in that he is in a job at the moment earning lots of negativity. I hope Webber is scouring their forums (and ours) if he seriously has him as a contender.

The other issue is that if Swansea do sack him they will be looking for a manager on 'the list'.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Martin is at a big disadvantage in that he is in a job at the moment earning lots of negativity. I hope Webber is scouring their forums (and ours) if he seriously has him as a contender.

The other issue is that if Swansea do sack him they will be looking for a manager on 'the list'.

I don't see Swansea sacking him, his job is basically to put players in the shop window to sell for decent sums. Unless they were in danger of relegation the owners there will be pretty happy with him I think

12 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'm afraid you might be right. Unfortunately there seems to be a bandwagon developing which is framed against any 'British' manager in favour of 'someone' (in fact almost 'anyone') from Europe! The notion that such an appointment would instantly see a return to the golden era of Fake is absurd but something that some on here seem to be falling for! 

Look at the great job Carrick is doing at Boro. He was not hauled from the .........'conveyor belt of failed managers'. Surely there must be another 'Carrick' out there who has done his badges, works as part of the backroom staff at a PL club (probably) who would jump at the chance to come here? Failing that, give it to Scott Parker. Has taken Fulham and Bournemouth to promotions and would play an expansive style that Yellows seem to crave.   

Carrick is doing a promising job, though not as well as Kompany is. I don’t get what anyone sees in Parker-a man who is disliked by both the board and the fans at Fulham and at Bournemouth.

i think the next Manager in will show us which way the club is going 

cheap manager used to working on a shoestring Delia is going nowhere 

Bigger name who wants a bit of cash the US takeover is closer ?

I totally agree with the title of this thread. In fact I'd put a couple more pleases in front for emphasis.

Triggered by some of the comments on the thread, I've looked at the Swansea message board and it is reminiscent of when Martin was here. The only difference is that as a manager he does not appear to have any supporters whereas here, as a player, he did have a sizeable number who bought into his rhetoric.

As has been said before, if there is any serious consideration of bringing him back here, it is important that Webber takes a look at what's being said down in Wales. And for further evidence of why he should be dismissed from consideration, have a look at his post-match presser yesterday. One by one, he names almost every player as he throws them under the bus. He comes over looking even more beleaguered than Dean Smith did in his final interview. Only difference, Smith handled himself more honourably.