CANARYKING

VAR, penalties and the ref

So for the second one he was told to go and look at the screen but not the one when Kane was fouled in the area or the foul on Saka  before the first goal

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Initial contact for that one looked outside the box.

Agreed, however I do think contact continued into the box.

The rediculousness of that one is that, even had the ref had watched it on the monitor, if he thought the contact was outside the box, he couldn't give England a free kick. The game would restart from where it went out.

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Initial contact for that one looked outside the box.

The refereeing expert on ITV said that refs are told they can ignore a foul if there is a subsequent foul inside the box. 

As for the first French goal, there were 3 separate fouls on Saka who was eventually kicked off the pitch. 

No doubt some will blame Kane but many years ago John Bond stopped a Norwich player taking a second penalty and had someone else take it. But that's probably something that no one would think of. 

Overall, I thought the refereeing reflected the fact that is was Platini's vote that got Qatar the World Cup. I'm only half English when it comes to football and I got the feeling that everything wasn't right. 

Here we go again.  England fans with a sense of entitlement moaning that we were hard done by. 

Why did we lose?  Because France scored two goals from open play and we didn't score any.  We are and always have been too reliant on set pieces and penalties.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CDMullins said:

The rediculousness of that one is that, even had the ref had watched it on the monitor, if he thought the contact was outside the box, he couldn't give England a free kick. The game would restart from where it went out.

Yep, the second paragraph nails it. It was a clear free-kick, but the calls that it was a penalty were clutching at straws as initial contact was well outside.

We laughed at the Germans when they blamed the officials, we found it hilarious when Uruguay lost their heads and personally I found it rather peculiar when the Dutch accused the ref of being biased on Friday. 

My overriding feeling 'the morning after' is how it's embarrassing that so many grown adults just blame a supposed biased ref whilst wearing St George's Cross-tinted spectacles. 

The 'foul' on Saka in the buildup to the French goal would've been soft in the extreme, and the one on Kane was a bad miss by the ref but ultimately checked by VAR and found to be outside the box. 

The ref was poor and got a few things wrong, but to claim there's some sort of conspiracy is ridiculous. Even after every game that Norwich fail to win, there's always on here bashing the ref.

I really dislike football fans sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We laughed at the Germans when they blamed the officials, we found it hilarious when Uruguay lost their heads and personally I found it rather peculiar when the Dutch accused the ref of being biased on Friday. 

My overriding feeling 'the morning after' is how it's embarrassing that so many grown adults just blame a supposed biased ref whilst wearing St George's Cross-tinted spectacles. 

The 'foul' on Saka in the buildup to the French goal would've been soft in the extreme, and the one on Kane was a bad miss by the ref but ultimately checked by VAR and found to be outside the box. 

The ref was poor and got a few things wrong, but to claim there's some sort of conspiracy is ridiculous. Even after every game that Norwich fail to win, there's always on here bashing the ref.

The embarrassing blame game. We were beaten by two clinical finishes from open play , nothing more and nothing less . One terrific strike from distance and one terrific attacking header from a fantastic older(Masterclass) football player. 

Edited by Mengo

It was a valiant effort against arguably the best team at the world cup, shows how much the team has grown, and given their age, a good sign for the future. Yes the ref was poor, but ultimately France were more clinical, and cynical with their tackling, which at this level is needed, unfortunately. Might have had another pen, but as Kane proved a pen is no guarantee of a goal, over the years, multiple top England players bottle the pressure moments, maybe if Kane was at a club where he'd won lots of titles, champs league etc, he wouldn't feel the pressure so much 

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, the second paragraph nails it. It was a clear free-kick, but the calls that it was a penalty were clutching at straws as initial contact was well outside.

Which is one the reason we need referee's to be strong and give decisions,

Non of this 'let it go' and VAR will check it.

We're happily watching replays back and and restarting the game wrongly, that can't be right 

8 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Var failed yesterday, that is clear.

For their goal it was a very clear foul and it should have come back.  We didn’t kick the ball again so you can’t argue it wasn’t a direct gain.

It also shows the ridiculous thing about var and penalty decisions.  It is 100% a clear foul, missed by the officials, the only question is was it outside or inside (tbh I thought it too close to give a pen).  But consider for a moment, if France had gone up the other end and scored - they’d then be 1-0 up when they should be facing a dangerous free kick at best.  It is utterly ridiculous for there to be ‘no decision’ unless it’s a penalty.

And, just to add - where on earth was the lino for both incidents?  Both on that side of the pitch, right in front of them and within 10 yards.  They should have been flagging on both.

Ultimately, England lost so you just suck it up - but poor decisions definitely affected the outcome of the game.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

“Soft in the extreme” seems a bit ridiculous the other way. It was a foul, if it hadn’t lead to a goal though no one would care though because it wasn’t bad, but it was a foul.

It wasn’t given and France scored a great goal because we defended poorly. That’s still on England.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Here we go again.  England fans with a sense of entitlement moaning that we were hard done by. 

Why did we lose?  Because France scored two goals from open play and we didn't score any.  We are and always have been too reliant on set pieces and penalties.

I do not disagree with what you say and I am not at all upset by England losing but purely as a football fan there was a foul on Saka before the French scored, why a free kick was not given I will never understand ................