Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

7-1 loss today and steal their manager?

I don’t know about that but it’s definitely going to take a dramatic defeat to actually turn people. It’s just apathy right now which suits the losers running the club

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Just saying.....

Could it happen?

Would you want it to ? ( Well maybe not the 7-1 dismantle) but a loss and brining in Rus?

If I knew that a 7-1 defeat today would definitely result in Smith being sacked and Martin being appointed, I'd take it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Would the appointment of Russ divide the fans? He certainly did that as a player.

I think the fans are pretty united in either actively wanting a change or at least being prepared to accept one. I think everyone would get behind him, he's clearly a progressive coach who loves the club. It might take a while to implement his style, a la Farke, but I think the fans would accept this season being transitional and give him a fair crack of the whip next season.

• Like 3

Would the appointment of Russ divide the fans? He certainly did that as a player.

I think it would be a poisoned chalice for him. Things would be fine as long as we did well, but the slightest blip would see the old anti-Martin rhetoric start up from those who never rated him, causing divisiveness a-plenty.  He's better off developing his career elsewhere imo and give us a wide berth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I think the fans are pretty united in either actively wanting a change or at least being prepared to accept one. I think everyone would get behind him, he's clearly a progressive coach who loves the club. It might take a while to implement his style, a la Farke, but I think the fans would accept this season being transitional and give him a fair crack of the whip next season.

Hopefully. If it was to happen. But he really was 'marmite' as a player. 

Best option would be the different animal and a 'Gareth Southgate moment' for Deano...

We won't lose 7-1. We may well lose, but it will make no difference. Smith is here for the season regardless. There's no desire amongst the BOD to get shot of him. Apathy seems to have spread throughout the club and fanbase.

Edited by Capt. Pants

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Best option would be the different animal and a 'Gareth Southgate moment' for Deano...

So just to be sure Nuttyo , there actually has been a Gareth Southgate moment already?..... There might be one if he gets past France, but I'd say a lot of people still aren't convinced by him.

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeh agreed with this, it won't be a immediate turn around but it will be a project restart we can all get behind.

• Like 2

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

So just to be sure Nuttyo , there actually has been a Gareth Southgate moment already?..... There might be one if he gets past France, but I'd say a lot of people still aren't convinced by him.

Like throwing all your teenagers to take the most important kick of their lives and then bottling it?

• Haha 1

I don't think his 'marmite-ness' as a player would turn many people off him as a manager. He'd get a fair crack of the whip.

Do you see the 'different animal' appearing? Let's face it – we've seen six or seven wins on the spin, and even that wasn't enough to inspire a lot of our fans (myself included). It would have to be a very different animal to get the fans on side.

We've performed poorly, with results to match, against the top sides in the division so far. Next six opponents: 8th, 3rd, 11th, 13th, 4th, 9th. Can you honestly see us getting even as much as 12 points from those next six? Do you think Deano has got it in him? I certainly don't.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Like throwing all your teenagers to take the most important kick of their lives and then bottling it?

That was so stupid . Experience every time when it comes to pens, sure old heads can bottle it too, but that decision was mental. 

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

No. But they've gone quiet. Just like would happen here if we got results. What has happened already is claims that watching Southgate's England is preferable to the Norwich game. 

But of course Southgate will be back in the bad books if we lose to France. He's raised his own bar. Although his record will still look excellent against a lot of his predecessors. 

No. But they've gone quiet. Just like would happen here if we got results. What has happened already is claims that watching Southgate's England is preferable to the Norwich game. 

But of course Southgate will be back in the bad books if we lose to France. He's raised his own bar. Although his record will still look excellent against a lot of his predecessors. 

You are dreaming

You think winning a game or two will convince anybody about Dean and his fat mate Shakey?

The management team, football and non-football, are poisonous losers and nothing will change until they are sacked.

• Like 1

So it bleddy should, nearly all his squad play regularly at the highest level. 

I also disagree that a few decent results would redeem Deano, he just doesn't seem to fit. He's not even dislikeable, just beige. Beige is ok for waiting rooms, not footy managers.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Christ this place going from saying how awful Russ would be as manager to wanting him has been depressing

It's a measure of how unhappy people are with Deano, not how excited they'd be with Russ. 

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think his 'marmite-ness' as a player would turn many people off him as a manager. He'd get a fair crack of the whip.

Do you see the 'different animal' appearing? Let's face it – we've seen six or seven wins on the spin, and even that wasn't enough to inspire a lot of our fans (myself included). It would have to be a very different animal to get the fans on side.

We've performed poorly, with results to match, against the top sides in the division so far. Next six opponents: 8th, 3rd, 11th, 13th, 4th, 9th. Can you honestly see us getting even as much as 12 points from those next six? Do you think Deano has got it in him? I certainly don't.

Well no, but I'm not sure if it's the team or the manager. Im not pro or anti Smith. I'm just unconvinced.

But of course if we go on another winning run but then lose a couple we will be right back here. We all know how this one goes. I've watched the same cycle for 55 years and hopefully will for a few more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

You are dreaming

You think winning a game or two will convince anybody about Dean and his fat mate Shakey?

The management team, football and non-football, are poisonous losers and nothing will change until they are sacked.

That's a super king sized bed sheet you have there Buh🙃

• Haha 2

Well no, but I'm not sure if it's the team or the manager. Im not pro or anti Smith. I'm just unconvinced.

But of course if we go on another winning run but then lose a couple we will be right back here. We all know how this one goes. I've watched the same cycle for 55 years and hopefully will for a few more.

I'm sure you have plenty of cycles in you yet, Eddie! 🙂

I'm not saying it's 100% Smith's fault – we've got a big chunk of first-teamers out of contract next summer, and if we don't go back up there will definitely be a lot more cloth-cutting and turnover in the squad. I don't think the squad of players is quite as good as it appeared to me in the summer, but I certainly think there's enough quality in there to be doing a damn sight better than we are.

Aside from possibly Coventry at home (when we cruised the second half), we've not put in a single dominant performance over 90 minutes this season. That has to lie principally with the manager and the tactics, as I don't think anybody would say our squad is poor by Championship standards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's a super king sized bed sheet you have there Buh🙃

Yours is a napkin with “Smith in” written on it

but careful, sit on the fence some more and hide the fact you support him and our idiot board.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

So it bleddy should, nearly all his squad play regularly at the highest level. 

I also disagree that a few decent results would redeem Deano, he just doesn't seem to fit. He's not even dislikeable, just beige. Beige is ok for waiting rooms, not footy managers.

So did his predecessor's squads.

With Southgate I am of the same mind as Smith. We all like big characters. Both are a bit beige. The difference is Southgate's last two tournaments have been semis then a final. Here he is in the quarters. Smith has no such achievement.

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Yours is a napkin with “Smith in” written on it

but careful, sit on the fence some more and hide the fact you support him and our idiot board.

Can anyone stay? Or will poor Russ have to do the lot?

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I want more than results here. I want to see progress. I want to know that we're not going to be making the same mistakes over and over again. A run of a few wins would only gloss over the cracks.

Ultimately this 'different animal' needs to be pretty apparent from today or things are quickly going to become toxic. This is Smith's last chance before he loses the crowd. 

As much as I’m no fan of the current manager, I can’t see what Martin would bring that makes the upheaval and financial cost worthwhile. I’m a firm believer we need someone with a track record at least as comparable (preferably better) than our current setup. 

So did his predecessor's squads.

With Southgate I am of the same mind as Smith. We all like big characters. Both are a bit beige. The difference is Southgate's last two tournaments have been semis then a final. Here he is in the quarters. Smith has no such achievement.

The salient point being that Dean has even less ' in the bank ' than Southgate, so I really don't see how a few decent results would turn it around for him, there was plenty of discontent during his previous unbeaten run.

France are more exciting to watch imo, hope they win tbh and all the tub thumping can die off for another couple of years . 

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm sure you have plenty of cycles in you yet, Eddie! 🙂

I'm not saying it's 100% Smith's fault – we've got a big chunk of first-teamers out of contract next summer, and if we don't go back up there will definitely be a lot more cloth-cutting and turnover in the squad. I don't think the squad of players is quite as good as it appeared to me in the summer, but I certainly think there's enough quality in there to be doing a damn sight better than we are.

Aside from possibly Coventry at home (when we cruised the second half), we've not put in a single dominant performance over 90 minutes this season. That has to lie principally with the manager and the tactics, as I don't think anybody would say our squad is poor by Championship standards.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

I want more than results here. I want to see progress. I want to know that we're not going to be making the same mistakes over and over again. A run of a few wins would only gloss over the cracks.

Ultimately this 'different animal' needs to be pretty apparent from today or things are quickly going to become toxic. This is Smith's last chance before he loses the crowd. 

But if he wins the last chance saloon just moves forward a week. If they serve food it would be a moveable feast...

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The salient point being that Dean has even less ' in the bank ' than Southgate, so I really don't see how a few decent results would turn it around for him, there was plenty of discontent during his previous unbeaten run.

France are more exciting to watch imo, hope they win tbh and all the tub thumping can die off for another couple of years . 

Suspect it will be 1-1 and then either et or penalty heartbreak. Hope I'm wrong (I think that's the phrase🙃)

I'd definitely swap an England win for a Norwich win. England's for the summer...

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Can anyone stay? Or will poor Russ have to do the lot?

If they aren’t replaced standards will remain as low as they currently are.

That might suit you, but that’s not how a successful football club is made.