Sign in to follow this  
Indy

I might have mentioned it before! Robins!

10 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Robins would jump at the chance to come here and prove himself at a bigger club. 

Much rather have him here than Russell Martin 

I wouldn't necessarily say we are a bigger club. More successful in the last 20 years yes. But in terms of fan base possibly not

I think I was the first to mention Robins on this message board. Coventry play better football than us, their fans make three times the noise than us and something good is brewing there. 

If a takeover is happening at Coventry why would Robins jump ship and want to work at cliquey NCFC under Mr Ego? 

54 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So playing devils advocate here, how do you actually know anybody would do a better job than Smith?

And no I am not a fan of his at all.

The players are as much to blame as Smith in that they don’t seem to want to control games anymore, they just are happy to do the bare minimum, where is the passion for the shirt? There are no real leaders anymore 

No you don't get it literally everything is Smiths fault we bring in a new manager and we will win every match 3-0.. 😉

As I have said, its not just Smith. The players are to blame but sadly some seem to think we will magicaly improve with another manager which I just don't see. The issues are much deeper than the management.

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Martin would be my choice. He's doing a decent job at Swansea and I just think he has a higher ceiling in the game than Robins. 

Scott Parker is also available and would surely be tempted, because I can't see his next job being in Premier League.

To be honest, I haven't given it a huge amount of thought beyond those two. 

Scott Parker is a rubbish coach/manager. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the job if it ever becomes available.

Robins has consistently done well. Don’t see why he couldn’t translate that to a higher level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So playing devils advocate here, how do you actually know anybody would do a better job than Smith?

The players are as much to blame as Smith in that they don’t seem to want to control games anymore, they just are happy to do the bare minimum, where is the passion for the shirt? There are no real leaders anymore 

I personally think that many if not most managers would do as well as if not better than Smith. I reckon I’d have a shot at having this lot in the top 6 since I could throw the team out there with no discernible style or tactics and rely on our best players getting us enough points which is basically what we do now.

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Scott Parker is a rubbish coach/manager. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the job if it ever becomes available.

Robins has consistently done well. Don’t see why he couldn’t translate that to a higher level.

I haven’t really followed either  career but surely Parker with a couple of championship promotions has a record at least equal to Robins? Seems quite a lot if negative feelings towards Parker on here and not sure why?

id have either of them over Smith (mind you I’d have my Nan over smith and she’s been dead for years!)

How does anyone know what the future is, but one thing you can’t do is continue with something which isn’t working. All the reasons you stated come from the top down, it’s a culture which is allowed to develop, the leader has to be the coach for the players, his job is to set the team up, pick the best players for his set up, coach his style and instil his performance requirements. It’s also his job to understand players and motivate them to get the best out of them as a team.

Smith has said in the past he just lets the players get on with it on the pitch and that shows, a severe lack of coaching from the sidelines allows the team to play 20 minutes then they go missing for a lot of games.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Parker has had two jobs in football, and in both of them he led a well-fancied Championship side to promotion. I'd say that's doing consistently very well.

Robins didn''t do so well when he was in charge of Huddersfield and S****horpe-two wins from eight in his last games at the latter.

He's like so many managers who've done the rounds in the lower leagues-OK at some, not so good at others. Coventry 'fits' him well, so much so that they took him back a year after S****horpe had sacked him.

I can't see him wanting to leave there, especially for us-he'll be under pressure to play good football, win games and get promotion from day one. He doesn't have any of that at Cov.

I can see the logic behind us potentially seeing him as our manager of course. But it would be a no from me.

Not that Smith will be going anywhere. Short of us falling into the bottom six the club will cite him needing a chance 'with his own squad', which he'll get after we offload a load in the summer. I can see the logic there as well, at least from the clubs point of view. Wouldn't be mine though.

Three candidates for me, in no particular order. Neil Critchley, Craig Bellamy and Sreven Schumacher.

The club would never consider Bellars mind you.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

How does anyone know what the future is, but one thing you can’t do is continue with something which isn’t working. All the reasons you stated come from the top down, it’s a culture which is allowed to develop, the leader has to be the coach for the players, his job is to set the team up, pick the best players for his set up, coach his style and instil his performance requirements. It’s also his job to understand players and motivate them to get the best out of them as a team.

Smith has said in the past he just lets the players get on with it on the pitch and that shows, a severe lack of coaching from the sidelines allows the team to play 20 minutes then they go missing for a lot of games.

You said it there the problem comes from the top down!

So until the club changes how it’s run you will see this over and over again. If you think small you get people like Smith, think bigger and you can get to the Prem and stay there with a forward thinking coach but that won’t happen under this set up sadly

You said it there the problem comes from the top down!

So until the club changes how it’s run you will see this over and over again. If you think small you get people like Smith, think bigger and you can get to the Prem and stay there with a forward thinking coach but that won’t happen under this set up sadly

Very true, but if we are thinking this way someone who has a proven record building decent teams from limited and challenging clubs is far more likely to succeed, Lambert & Farke show that.

I think the only way we will succeed in ever staying up in the PL is if we unearth a top quality coach who develops as a coach in line with us as a team. There was hope that Farke would do that, certainly at the 2nd time of asking, but it seemed like he hadn't learnt. Our next manager needs to be an up and coming one who we get our hands on before another side does. There's a new generation of British coaches who seem much more in tune with the modern game and are slowly working their way up the ladder. Potter is the headline one but you now see Cooper and Jones in the PL, Martin and Beale doing good work at Swansea and QPR. There's plenty more about too. Robins is a good coach, would probably do better than Smith, but that isn't going to be enough for where we eventually want to get to.

• Like 2