Bradwell canary

2nd, who would have thought it possible?

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh, but should we get promoted all our players are rubbish and miles from being Premier League players.

Now I’m not convinced that we could get anyone to do a better job than Smith and we certainly don’t have world beaters but this last paragraph (above) is true regardless of your jested irony!

Trouble is, we keep producing teams to win the Championship and not teams to compete in the Premier League.

We have few players with the tools for the premier league whether that be quality, strength, pace or desire.   We remain lightweight, we can keep possession of the ball, but we don’t have a dynamic offensive approach or counter-attack, it remains too laboured and we are nowhere near finding the necessary solutions for central defensive midfield. I say solutions because the position is fundamental for a team to compete and we need back-up for injuries…… Gibbs is our only evident option but unfortunately he is not the big imposing, robust, athletic, ground covering type that we desperately need. 

31 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I find this a little bit mad, a fair bit arrogant and a lot disrespectful to the other teams in the league Rickyyyy. If it's how the majority feel we'll never get a great atmosphere at Carrow Road this season. With this view fans will swing between being barely satisfied to totally unsatisfied. 

Add this to the seemingly widespread view that promotion is unwanted anyway for many the season would be totally pointless even if we got 100!

Don't  be shy Nigel there is no need to be coy about that fact that just about everybody would swap their squad for ours. Every forecast I have seen in the media by professional pundits or by internet bloggers eg ( Benjamin Bloom etc) has us in the auto spots. Are they arrogant or just weighing up the odds and coming to a logical conclusion?

The gap between the Championship and Premiership is enormous and appears to grow with passing seasons. We have been easily relegated on our last two visits to the top league and neither had any bearing on our ability to outcompete those in the league below. When we go up again we will likely find it just as difficult.

Smith is a competent enough manager and should get this team promoted and I think the majority would consider it a failure if he doesn't.

Edited by ricardo

56 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Don't  be shy Nigel there is no need to be coy about that fact that just about everybody would swap their squad for ours. Every forecast I have seen in the media by professional pundits or by internet bloggers eg ( Benjamin Bloom etc) has us in the auto spots. Are they arrogant or just weighing up the odds and coming to a logical conclusion?

The gap between the Championship and Premiership is enormous and appears to grow with passing seasons. We have been easily relegated on our last two visits to the top league and neither had any bearing on our ability to outcompete those in the league below. When we go up again we will likely find it just as difficult.

Smith is a competent enough manager and should get this team promoted and I think the majority would consider it a failure if he doesn't.

Of course the majority would count it as a failure for Smith if we're not promoted. But you don't have to think back many seasons to see us deservedly champions well ahead of the pundits and bookies favourites Stoke and WBA.

The 'pundits' on here had us down to be relegated that October. Farke had over 50 games by then and they were saying the football was turgid and dull and he had to go. It was said to be a fight between us and the binners who'd finish bottom.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Trouble is, we keep producing teams to win the Championship and not teams to compete in the Premier League.

Surprisingly we seem to be one of the few clubs to "keep producing teams to win the Championship" but we aren't the only one to be unable produce " teams to compete in the Premier League." Perhaps if we tried harder at the latter, we might not be so good at the former. Which does appear to be the lesson learnt for many. Funny ole game, innit ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

Surprisingly we seem to be one of the few clubs to "keep producing teams to win the Championship" but we aren't the only one to be unable produce " teams to compete in the Premier League." Perhaps if we tried harder at the latter, we might not be so good at the former. Which does appear to be the lesson learnt for many. Funny ole game, innit ?

That is profound Pocko!

It seems to be taken for granted that we will be promoted and taken for granted that we will be relegated.

Is it harder to be promoted with a relegated team than stay up with a promoted team? Not sure I know the answer.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Is it harder to be promoted with a relegated team than stay up with a promoted team? Not sure I know the answer.

Youve seen it played out in front of you twice and we are now well on course for number three. How much more evidence do you require?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That is profound Pocko!

It seems to be taken for granted that we will be promoted and taken for granted that we will be relegated.

Will anyone understand your question?  Even your good self must be confused when reading your own posts back? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Not sure if you're joking but to me this is the central question. We went up under DF playing expansive football, dominating possession and basically looking like the Man City of the Championship. Up in the PL, starved of that possession, our soft centre and weakness out of possession was ruthlessly exposed. In other words, there's very little connection between the strengths you need to go up and the strengths that you need to survive. I've no idea whether Smith can succeed where Farke failed - it may be that our budgetary limitations are just too tight - but he's right to be trying a different approach. To my untrained eyes it seems a long way from working, but I'm happy to give him more time and see how things develop, especially when we get Hayden and a left-back back.

• Like 2

Just now, ricardo said:

Youve seen it played out in front of you twice and we are now well on course for number three. How much more evidence do you require?

I didn't say is it harder for us...

How many relegated teams go straight back up?

How many promoted teams stay up?

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

It seems Ricardo did 👍😀

Some just can't  get there heads round being to good for the Champs and not being good enough for the Prem. Unfortunately  that seems to be where we are and baring a large injection of quids, thats probably the best we can hope for.

Maybe the Yanks can make the difference.

As always I live with what we have and hope for something better.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I didn't say is it harder for us...

How many relegated teams go straight back up?

How many promoted teams stay up?

One or two and not many.

Im happy we are the former and hope we will eventually become the latter.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Some just can't  get there heads round being to good for the Champs and not being good enough for the Prem. Unfortunately  that seems to be where we are and baring a large injection of quids, thats probably the best we can hope for.

Maybe the Yanks can make the difference.

As always I live with what we have and hope for something better.

Some are just enamoured towards the current ownership for the sake of it. No questions asked, let’s just be grateful and point out other clubs failures. 

Until there’s a full change at the top  fundamentally nothing will change long term. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Will anyone understand your question?  Even your good self must be confused when reading your own posts back? 

It seems they do. Perhaps you should have left the pub earlier...

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

One or two and not many.

Im happy we are the former and hope we will eventually become the latter.

That's the truth.

Plenty of clubs get relegated and never return. Fewer are promoted and stay there.

I think you're right to be happy and hope. You may even start enjoying the games again.

I said pre season, I expected us to go up and probably to win the league.

Not because we're great or have a great manager but because the top teams around us all have issues.

Burnley - lost players and have a inexperience manager

WBA - have Mark Hughes

Unless Watford won every game it was clear they'd be playing the managerial merry-go-round

I also said Rashica and Tzolis would be key to our promotion.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some are just enamoured towards the current ownership for the sake of it. No questions asked, let’s just be grateful and point out other clubs failures. 

Until there’s a full change at the top  fundamentally nothing will change long term. 

It's a long term thing. Gradual change is often better than revolution in my experience.

It will always be a bit of an uphill battle for clubs of our size but at least we get a good ride for our money.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That is profound Pocko!

Not taken for granted, merely speculation. My thought is that is akin to a man staying airborne, unassisted. Whereby the higher position he starts from, the more time he will stay off the ground. Unfortunately when he does hit the ground it is more damaging to him. Much as spending money to stay up, some might think.

Edited by PockthorpePete
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

Not taken for gtranted, merely speculating. My thought is that is akin to man staying airborne, unassisted

Some have tried and failed.

Some I'd like to see try and fail.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

That's the truth.

Plenty of clubs get relegated and never return. Fewer are promoted and stay there.

I think you're right to be happy and hope. You may even start enjoying the games again.

I enjoy the highs and suffer through the lows. It's what we must accept as supporters of a medium size club. To be honest I wouldn't want it any different. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It will always be a bit of an uphill battle....  but at least we get a good ride for our money.

Echoes the advice my dear old Grandad said about the more  'ample' ladies of the village.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I enjoy the highs and suffer through the lows. It's what we must accept as supporters of a medium size club. To be honest I wouldn't want it any different. 

'twas ever thus, being a canary

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's a long term thing. Gradual change is often better than revolution in my experience.

It will always be a bit of an uphill battle for clubs of our size but at least we get a good ride for our money.

Time to watch Master Newton giving a top performance, Frank Gibbons echoed that sentiment. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Alright then lets take another approach then...

Who can honestly put their hand on their heart and say they are enjoying this season?

BS aside, ive held a season ticket for 15 years and apart from the Houghton era this is honestly the most bored Iv'e been watching Norwich.

Is it the Farke hangover?
Is it the realisation that we are doomed to be the 21st best team in the country?
Is it lack of Emi's , Wes' or players who have that flair to light a game up?

Why have I become so cynical and fed up with the club and the players? Time to walk away?

Now i know its not just me as a lot of City fans are feeling this way, whats the answer?

Answers on a post card, honestly interested to see perspectives. Frankly at this stage I feel a change of manager (yes) and a direction are needed to freshen up a very tired looking outfit. 
I honestly think things are probably more exciting down at Portaloo than they are here at the moment. 
Young manager pushing a team for promotion, great stuff.... we have got a brown paper bag of a brummie playing some of the most lack luster long ball bs ive seen in years.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So who's looking forward to Saturday?

Me, always look forward to the next game. If we lost the previous one, its an ippotunity(😀) to put things back on track. If we won the last one, or drew , take that forward and build on it. 

Everyone should get involved at grass roots level, even if its  just going to local sunday league, be a kit man, youth  coach, Tea lady, whatever, sell raffle tickets. Experience the ups and downs of everyday footy . It'll help with a sense of perspective, much more so than watching Man City dance their way round their next victims.  Now here's the rub, there'll be a minority...even at Man City , who'll be fuming at the points they dropped earlier in the Season...some people are rarely happy , and some confuse happiness with gratification ( thats why so many non locals support the big teams) Surely its better to spend your time and energy on something that you can affect.... it makes watching something you cant affect much less frustrating. 

Cos it really is just 22 fellas kicking a bag of wind around. Which for some strange reason , I enjoy. 

I was defo part of the give him 10/12 games brigade. So far , so Ok. Next 10-12 will tell us more about how we are progressing, interesting. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1