Sign in to follow this  

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What’s simple is 1) your touching belief that “we” can get the board to promise anything, and 2) that we have £100m to invest.

If a substantial financial input into the playing side isn't forthcoming from Attanasio's camp when we're confirmed promoted I will be very surprised. 

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

The XG table shows how ludicrous and pointless this statistic is.

Why have they posted a table dated 5th September on 4th October?

If you look at it today, it shows Sheffield U second and us third. That is how stats work, they predict with a margin of error. It’s not fortune telling, they don’t claim to predict anything precisely, but give an indication.

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

I mean West Brom are top of the xg table but yeah it’s a proper stat that deserves great attention….

Also, last time I checked the actual league table was based on points earned, not goals scored.

I see the Militant Smith Collective are out in force again tonight. Any criticism of their idol is most certainly stupid and unreasonable and must desist. They know this as their intellect is far, far superior. 

• Like 1

It’s early doors but I can’t remember seeing any opposition player than has stood out. Am I missing something, or is there something genuinely average with  the tier this season. In past decades I’ve usually spotted one or 2 in most teams that look a bit useful. It’s another vaguely ominous cloud. 

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If a substantial financial input into the playing side isn't forthcoming from Attanasio's camp when we're confirmed promoted I will be very surprised. 

£100 million though? I don’t think Attanasio either has wealth on that scale, or the temperament to **** a huge amount in one go. I would guess one or possibly two marquee players and ground improvement at the most.

2 minutes ago, astro said:

I see the Militant Smith Collective are out in force again tonight. Any criticism of their idol is most certainly stupid and unreasonable and must desist. They know this as their intellect is far, far superior. 

In a thread titled “Deano” it can’t be a huge surprise to find a discussion about him, surely?  

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

In a thread titled “Deano” it can’t be a huge surprise to find a discussion about him, surely?  

Did I write that it was a surprise? 

5 minutes ago, astro said:

Show me one post on here that claims Smith is a great manager. All I see is people saying “I don’t like him” despite the fact that we are second, level on points with the top. The “Militant Smith Collective” are simply stating facts. I have yet to see many, if any, actual facts to demonstrate the opposite point of view. Maybe that’s why you’ve made up the nonsense above, as you don’t have any actual evidence for your prejudices.

If we ignore “he drinks tea from a mug”, the most justified I’ve seen is that he didn’t keep us up and with the squad we have, we ought to be getting automatic promotion. Both of which are debatable, and people have done exactly that, debated it. It’s hardly a Stalin-esque attempt to shutdown opposing views but instead calling out unjustified statements.

No-one, and I challenge you to demonstrate otherwise, has said we couldn’t be playing with more flair and be more exciting, scoring more and a few points better off. But I suspect if you asked Smith what he thought after a few drinks (not tea), he would probably agree with most of those criticisms.

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

£100 million though? I don’t think Attanasio either has wealth on that scale, or the temperament to **** a huge amount in one go. I would guess one or possibly two marquee players and ground improvement at the most.

That does seem quite a bit.  I would hope we’d be a bit more considered than Forest, they may yet be fine but 22 signings feels far too many/too much of a scattergun approach 

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's just the opinions are stupid and unreasonable given that we're doing well by any rational measure. If people want to persist with it, it's fair enough that others express their objections. 

Smith isn't pretending we're anything like perfect or as good as he wants us to be, so why do people insist on whining like spoilt children when those actively involved in making the club succeed are doing the business?

Football, both as an industry and as a spectator sport, is known for many many things but rationality isn't one of them.

Have to say, it's a pretty big call to claim that the last season and a bit have been a "success" and that Norwich are "doing the business".

It's widely accepted that last year was one of the worst in the club's recent history - especially considering the investment involved and the vitriolic reaction of the fan base to the litany of failure.

As other posters have rightly noted, the apathy towards Smith is a hangover from how bad last season went - and it's going to take a lot more than a few single goal wins against average-poor Championship sides to revitalise things.

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Football, both as an industry and as a spectator sport, is known for many many things but rationality isn't one of them.

Have to say, it's a pretty big call to claim that the last season and a bit have been a "success" and that Norwich are "doing the business".

It's widely accepted that last year was one of the worst in the club's recent history - especially considering the investment involved and the vitriolic reaction of the fan base to the litany of failure.

As other posters have rightly noted, the apathy towards Smith is a hangover from how bad last season went - and it's going to take a lot more than a few single goal wins against average-poor Championship sides to revitalise things.

Last year's last year. It's done. Move on for ffs. Or don't. Just stop watching, save yourself the misery, and save others who want to watch and are interested the misery of listening to you go on and on. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Not a chance. 

Seriously, why do these people even watch? They're not enjoying it. They're not in the least bit supportive of anyone because they're still suking. They're utter wastes of space; entitled consumers and nothing more. Utter embarrassment to the club with a level of entitlement normally reserved for clubs far bigger than Norwich. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No-one, and I challenge you to demonstrate otherwise, has said we couldn’t be playing with more flair and be more exciting, scoring more and a few points better off. But I suspect if you asked Smith what he thought after a few drinks (not tea), he would probably agree with most of those criticisms.

There have been numerous posts and posters who have said, or suggested, that those of us who criticise the lack of attacking fluency, or identifiable style, are asking too much or, just a few posts above, are "whining like spoilt children".

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

There have been numerous posts and posters who have said, or suggested, that those of us who criticise the lack of attacking fluency, or identifiable style, are asking too much or, just a few posts above, are "whining like spoilt children".

It's not just that though: It's a concerted agenda to undermine any confidence in the incumbent manager and make sure nobody feels good about anything until he's gone regardless of any positives. Fantasy HR department. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Last year's last year. It's done. Move on for ffs. Or don't. Just stop watching, save yourself the misery, and save others who want to watch and are interested the misery of listening to you go on and on. 

I know it must be hard for you to realise that not everybody on a football forum agrees with you, and might even have the temerity to express their opinion, but you could save yourself the bother by not joining in the discussion if that sounds too difficult to deal with

28 minutes ago, astro said:

I think there is genuine disbelief at the forlorn nature of half this board when we are…. Joint top of the league!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kirku said:

I know it must be hard for you to realise that not everybody on a football forum agrees with you, and might even have the temerity to express their opinion, but you could save yourself the bother by not joining in the discussion if that sounds too difficult to deal with

They're entitled to their opinions and I'm entitled mine that they're utterly pathetic and utterly worthless 'supporters'. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They're entitled to their opinions and I'm entitled mine that they're utterly pathetic and utterly worthless 'supporters'. 

I can't imagine getting this worked up over a bunch of people saying they think their football team isn't quite performing as it should, or that they don't really like the style of football it's playing.

It's rather unhinged

Just now, kirku said:

I can't imagine getting this worked up over a bunch of people saying they think their football team isn't quite performing as it should, or that they don't really like the style of football it's playing.

It's rather unhinged

Well, apparently you're sufficiently worked up about Dean Smith managing the club that you concoct every possible argument to avoid giving him any credit for anything at all. And you have the temerity to call me unhinged. 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Ironic

Thats the sort of response given by someone that doesn't have a point to make but has attempted a glib remark. 

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Well, apparently you're sufficiently worked up about Dean Smith managing the club that you concoct every possible argument to avoid giving him any credit for anything at all. And you have the temerity to call me unhinged. 

You've come into this thread calling people's opinions "stupid", branding other fans "worthless", insisting there's some bizarre conspiracy that aims to "undermine confidence in Smith", and calling posters "pathetic". 

Does that seem like reasonable behaviour to you?

Edited by kirku

47 minutes ago, astro said:

Oh really? As we sit level on points with top of the table in the automatic promotion slots on a nine game unbeaten run with 23 points out of the last possible 27, I would say it's those who 'aren't convinced' that Smith knows what he's doing and seem to want him sacked that are the ones who consider themselves so superior that they even know better than the evidence of the actual results. 

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

You've come into this thread calling people's opinions "stupid", branding other fans "worthless", insisting there's some bizarre conspiracy that aims to "undermine confidence in Smith", and calling posters "pathetic". 

Does that seem like reasonable behaviour to you?

I don't see it's any less reasonable than people calling the performances of a team at the top of the league 'dross', 'boring', or any of the other vague derogatory statements made about recent games in our excellent run of results.

What about you? Do you think it's reasonable for you to go on and on about last season, which we're all fully aware of thank you, while we're getting excellent results this season? 

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't see it's any less reasonable than people calling the performances of a team at the top of the league 'dross', 'boring', or any of the other vague derogatory statements made about recent games. 

What about you? Do you think it's reasonable for you to go on and on about last season, which we're all fully aware of thank you, while we're getting excellent results this season? 

Can you honestly say that your enjoying watching Norwich play this season?

3 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Can you honestly say that your enjoying watching Norwich play this season?

Absolutely. Plenty of fight and energy to it, plenty of suspense, plenty of good moments, plenty of nerve-wracking moments, the odd clanger. It's competitve sport, not ballet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see it's any less reasonable than people calling the performances of a team at the top of the league 'dross', 'boring', or any of the other vague derogatory statements made about recent games in our excellent run of results.

Then we clearly have a different set of standards, both for what is reasonable discourse and quality of football.

No, the slate isn't magically wiped clean just because it's a new season. Approximately 2/3 of Smith's games were last season and the criticisms are largely the same, they currently seem endemic to his management - that is why it is pertinent.

None of our results this season have been "excellent". We've won by more than 1 goal twice in twelve games. The best result has been against a Coventry side in utter disarray. For context, we have probably the strongest squad in the league.

• Like 1

Absolutely. Plenty of fight and energy to it, plenty of suspense, plenty of good moments, plenty of nerve-wracking moments, the odd clanger. It's competitve sport, not ballet. 

Different standards, clearly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeh WBA was a doozy

We really kept it strong against Bristol as well, didnt turn off for a second

I like how we decied to play sh1te for the second 45 vs Coventry as well.

👎