Sign in to follow this  

I'm just so confused at the moment, with Norwich, and our management. I don't look forward to a matchday like I did, because I know the sort of performance level it is, but quite obviously want us to win, wether playing poorly or like man city. 

I know its been spoken of on here about what happens if/when we go up, and we will no doubt do exactly the same as previous premier league seasons. I feel the only way teams can go up and thrive is through really stamping their authority on the league below. I cant see any side being promoted this season getting anywhere next season, this championship season, is by far the worst I have ever seen. 

Is this all Smiths and Shakespeares fault? Or are they doing what is necessary for promotion for another season of spankings. 

• Like 1

This championship season is the worst you've ever seen?

Also no idea why this needs a new thread, it's discussed on practically every other topic.

• Like 2

The latter, exacerbated by the demands of a compacted season and the fact we're somewhat rebuilding without Buendia at this level. I think some of us have forgotten that Smith didn't have the previous transfer window at all as no-one came in - we'd already spent the budget the previous summer, so Smith didn't put his own style on things and tried to keep us up first.

This is basically the first spell after a window where he's had a chance to put his stamp on things. And we've had to do this when missing two left-backs and the filler, a long-ongoing issue on the right-wing and a seemingly perpetual defensive midfielder malaise. Considering the litany of injuries and inability to put his probable best side out in a league that is notoriously competitive, I think he's done quite well even if the standard of football we see on the pitch is not anywhere near as fluid and easy on the eye as under Farke's two Championship-winning seasons.

We're far more dangerous on set-pieces than we ever were under Farke, we do look a bit more resistant under pressure (even without a Skipp bailing us out), and we're still missing several players.

• Like 2

Farkeball was so reliant on Emi. It was him that made it so good to watch.

We are a lot more solid and hard to beat than we ever were under Farke and that is what was badly missing in his two EPL adventures.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Also no idea why this needs a new thread, it's discussed on practically every other topic.

Who can forget the amazng, breathtaking 17-18 championship season in which we drew 0-0 to Burton Albion twice, lost 5-1 to Sheffield Wednesday and lost 4-0 to millwall, drew to Ipswich and then finished the season in a fantastic 14th place, two places below Ipswich and we had such great unforrgettable players like  Marley Watkins and James Husband.

This season was clearly so much better than how ours is now. 2nd in the table and 8 unbeaten? Awful stuff

• Haha 1

i think Farke proved you can play great football in the champs but means nothing if you go up into PL as it did not work 

i do not know about smith we are winning and that is the main aim but have we seen the best of the team yet ?

when everyone is fit will we then see more style to the play ?

Smith is here to win football matches and that is what he is doing 

will it be a Reverse to when we went up with farke

play badly scraping wins without much style and go up to PL but when we get there stay there ?

• Like 3

I've said before but the last time we got promoted under Farke, the team didn't start to be really convincing until November time.

37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean as in standard, not us.

3 minutes ago, wesforprimeminister said:

If that's the case, how come Watford, Burnley, West Brom are struggling to keep up with us? All have parachute payments, richer owners and 2 of them finished above us in the Prem last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wesforprimeminister said:

You must remember that football is not a game to watch with your eyes these days and your brain absorb what you see but is reliant on statistics.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

You must remember that football is not a game to watch with your eyes these days and your brain absorb what you see but is reliant on statistics.

You would say that, considering you wet your pants at the start of the season when I pointed out xG suggested we'd start winning games, contrary to your moaning on here. And well, that was proven comprehensively correct, wasn't it? 😂

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

You would say that, considering you wet your pants at the start of the season when I pointed out xG suggested we'd start winning games, contrary to your moaning on here. And well, that was proven comprehensively correct, wasn't it? 😂

I knew you would turn up but hey within a minute of me posting even for you is some going. Sorry but i will take what i am watching with my eyes as a judgement of how this squad are performing against some really poor opposition with inferior players in this division over statistical analysis.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:
7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You would say that, considering you wet your pants at the start of the season when I pointed out xG suggested we'd start winning games, contrary to your moaning on here. And well, that was proven comprehensively correct, wasn't it?

Far be it from me to intrude on your ongoing antaginistic relationship, but really the truth is that there are two ways of looking at it.....

1. You trust what you see and then look at the stats to see if it backs up what you see

or

2. You do it the other way round - you trust the stats and then look at the football to see if it backs up the stats.

I'm with Til on this one, watch with your eyes with the stats having less relevance. Too much is made of stats.......

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm with Til on this one, watch with your eyes with the stats having less relevance. Too much is made of stats.......

Don't log out just yet Lakey as you should have a reply within a few minutes at most telling you that you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

Edited by TIL 1010

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Far be it from me to intrude on your ongoing antaginistic relationship, but really the truth is that there are two ways of looking at it.....

1. You trust what you see and then look at the stats to see if it backs up what you see

or

2. You do it the other way round - you trust the stats and then look at the football to see if it backs up the stats.

Of course you do the first option. I don't see anywhere where that's suggested otherwise?

The entire point of my Statistical Analysis thread was because we were bottom after 3 games, however it was clear from my eyes, without having an emotional reaction to it, that we were playing far better, and should have really won 2 out of the 3 based on performance / chances created.

But there was significant pant-wetting on here at the time, so maybe I was wrong? Maybe I was imagining things? So then I go to the stats and see, low and behold, they back up exactly what I was seeing with my eyes.

Til decided to have a cheap jab about stats because he was made to look silly in that thread, and not for the first time. It's what he does, I've actually generally speaking ignored it for the most part over the past year because it's not really worth it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I knew you would turn up but hey within a minute of me posting even for you is some going. Sorry but i will take what i am watching with my eyes as a judgement of how this squad are performing against some really poor opposition with inferior players in this division over statistical analysis.

Because I'm active and online on the forum, posting on this exact thread, much in the same way you are. What is your point this time? Or is it just a case of bored-old-man having a pop again?

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

or

The xg stats have been the cause of much discussion this season. I wondered if they would provide an interesting angle for PUPs picks but I don't think I understand them enough to try. (Following your picks might be a better idea because you're flying Lakey!).

But it does seem that stats like points won and league position are now in doubt too.

• Like 1

Smith is making us play boring football, so we can survive another bash in the Prem. Unfortunately it's the right way ahead if we want to make the conversion to a PL team

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Because I'm active and online on the forum, posting on this exact thread, much in the same way you are. What is your point this time? Or is it just a case of bored-old-man having a pop again?

Christ on a bike not two minutes ago i am accused of having ' a cheap jab ' and you now retort with a ' bored old man ' quip.

Laughable.

• Like 1

If only we were losing 6-5 every week.

As Lakey once pointed out the only thing that matters is you win, and if you can’t win don’t lose.

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i think Farke proved you can play great football in the champs but means nothing if you go up into PL as it did not work 

i do not know about smith we are winning and that is the main aim but have we seen the best of the team yet ?

when everyone is fit will we then see more style to the play ?

Smith is here to win football matches and that is what he is doing 

will it be a Reverse to when we went up with farke

play badly scraping wins without much style and go up to PL but when we get there stay there ?

I think this is the most likely scenario, we are playing in a way which the club believe will be the most sustainable should promotion be achieved. Could also be magnified by Hayden's continued absence, one imagines that if he was fit and in the groove our full backs and other midfelders could be a little more adventurous. Jim Smith made a good point elsewhere that it feels like it's not quite clicked yet and I'd agree with that, but you'd not want to try to change things too much considering the run of results.

I can understand people not always enjoying what they are watching but some of the criticism has been way OTT and fails to consider the bigger picture. Instead it's 'Smith and players x,y & z are sh!t'. 

Also worth bearing in mind that we are only around a quarter of the way through the season. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but why is everyone continually going on about the ‘standard’ of the championship this season?  I think it’s much the same as usual, there is a mix of teams - nothing I’ve seen has been overly poor and all sides are well drilled.  Indeed, when you bear in mind we hammered a side that got to the play-off final 7-1 a few years ago, you could argue it is better quality.

My firm belief is that people don’t like Smith, so it’s straw-clutching: we’re doing ok so it must be that the rest are crap.

• Like 4

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

We didn't play Farkeball until some way into the season in 2020/21. It was a work in progress until it clicked. There were some pretty unflattering performances. It's actually quite similar to this season, almost identical actually. 

You are comparing Farke's full season (with the highs of Farkeball when it kicked in) against the opening part of Smith's full season with so much of it still to go.

Farke 2020 and Smith 2022 is very comparable.

293940065_Screenshot2022-10-06at11_35_03.thumb.png.18b14c15cfda56090f73b029b9c74768.png1128986539_Screenshot2022-10-06at11_49_47.thumb.png.df14505d786a74bf5a100bf7aeedb93b.png

Edited by hertfordyellow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

or

I hope you have the stats to back this claim up?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wesforprimeminister said:

I'm just so confused at the moment, with Norwich, and our management. I don't look forward to a matchday like I did, because I know the sort of performance level it is, but quite obviously want us to win, wether playing poorly or like man city. 

I know its been spoken of on here about what happens if/when we go up, and we will no doubt do exactly the same as previous premier league seasons. I feel the only way teams can go up and thrive is through really stamping their authority on the league below. I cant see any side being promoted this season getting anywhere next season, this championship season, is by far the worst I have ever seen. 

Is this all Smiths and Shakespeares fault? Or are they doing what is necessary for promotion for another season of spankings. 

You must be quite young if Norwich being top of the championship is “by far the worst” you have ever seen

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I think this is the most likely scenario, we are playing in a way which the club believe will be the most sustainable should promotion be achieved. Could also be magnified by Hayden's continued absence, one imagines that if he was fit and in the groove our full backs and other midfelders could be a little more adventurous. Jim Smith made a good point elsewhere that it feels like it's not quite clicked yet and I'd agree with that, but you'd not want to try to change things too much considering the run of results.

I can understand people not always enjoying what they are watching but some of the criticism has been way OTT and fails to consider the bigger picture. Instead it's 'Smith and players x,y & z are sh!t'. 

Also worth bearing in mind that we are only around a quarter of the way through the season. 

That is how i feel , some part of the Jigsaw are missing but we are still winning 

like you say the right player in CDM and it allows others to be more free then we could see totally different football 

but winning is what Smiths wants and he has found a way 

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You must be quite young if Norwich being top of the championship is “by far the worst” you have ever seen

Maybe hes like me and has blocked out memories of Colchester and Suarez

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Maybe hes like me and has blocked out memories of Colchester and Suarez

I’ve done the same, but neither of them were championship seasons 

29 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sorry, but why is everyone continually going on about the ‘standard’ of the championship this season?  I think it’s much the same as usual, there is a mix of teams - nothing I’ve seen has been overly poor and all sides are well drilled.  Indeed, when you bear in mind we hammered a side that got to the play-off final 7-1 a few years ago, you could argue it is better quality.

My firm belief is that people don’t like Smith, so it’s straw-clutching: we’re doing ok so it must be that the rest are crap.

I think it's a bit about Smith and to be fair I'm still not fully convinced by him. But remember 49 posters on this forum don't want us to be promoted and that's where 2 points a game would ultimately lead. 

It's becoming a strange old season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

This guy clearly can’t remember Glenn Roeder or Peter grant 😂

• Haha 1