Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Cost Of Living Protest today - Sat 1st Oct.

More than 50 protest rallies will be happening around the country on Saturday 1st October.

If you fancy a stroll in Norwich with fellow citizens fed up with this government, feel free to join in.

Starts at 11am, on King Street near Last Pub Standing, Norwich, NR1 1PD.

Fdw_CQrXwAoaLN5.jpg

FdnL1MSXwAUuPHe.jpg

Fd7A32GXoAEUa66.jpg

Fd0b4B0XoAIu93k.jpg

Edited by Pyro Pete

Unfortunately can’t get there due to the rail strikes. Tried to send a letter of support but told the post office were on strike. Would have driven down from Birmingham but to expensive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Unfortunately can’t get there due to the rail strikes. Tried to send a letter of support but told the post office were on strike. Would have driven down from Birmingham but to expensive.

Very good.

That joke would work if only there wasn't a rally in Birmingham.

• Like 1

Will holding up placards and shouting slogans actually do something?. It didn’t work with trying to abolish the EU Divorce, all despite the fact they packed my train to the rafters that day getting out of London and had to sit on a luggage rack.

I’d love to be proven wrong on this one, but I have my doubts :(.

Edited by KernowCanary

So what are people actually asking for? Genuine question.

Cancelling unnecessary tax cuts for the rich? Sign me up. Structural changes to the energy market and more money for insulation and electrification of heating? Again, I'm all in.

Selling our Ukraine or just vague complaints that inflation is too high. Count me out 

This is why these things are difficult to support. I'm all for action on the cost of living, but at the moment it feels very 'old man shouts at cloud'.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Will holding up placards and shouting slogans actually do something?. It didn’t work with trying to abolish the EU Divorce, all despite the fact they packed my train to the rafters that day getting out of London and had to sit on a luggage rack.

I’d love to be proven wrong on this one, but I have my doubts :(.

The Remain marches were too nice. They restored my faith in Britain and reminded me that the country was still full of good people but they weren't going to change minds.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Herman said:

The Remain marches were too nice. They restored my faith in Britain and reminded me that the country was still full of good people but they weren't going to change minds.

I don’t think protests ever really change minds.  Those that go on them do so because they enjoy that sort of thing, being out with their like-minded friends on a Saturday and being a bit edgy whilst waving their SWP placards.  And  most others see them as deliberate disruption by the usual suspects, causing inconvenience and diversion of valuable Police resources.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I don’t think protests ever really change minds.  Those that go on them do so because they enjoy that sort of thing, being out with their like-minded friends on a Saturday and being a bit edgy whilst waving their SWP placards.  And  most others see them as deliberate disruption by the usual suspects, causing inconvenience and diversion of valuable Police resources.

The Remain marches were the only ones I've been to that haven't had the SWP stinking out the joint. Too busy lexiting I assume.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Strange one really, I sit in the middle of the debate and find it quite funny when people that protest against something you approve of are Left wing idiots, yet people with the views like yourself ie Encourage the booing of the taking of the knee, support the storming of political buildings, encourage people to dislike the RNLI and NHS, to name but a few things, are sensible law abiding citizens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Strange one really, I sit in the middle of the debate and find it quite funny when people that protest against something you approve of are Left wing idiots, yet people with the views like yourself ie Encourage the booing of the taking of the knee, support the storming of political buildings, encourage people to dislike the RNLI and NHS, to name but a few things, are sensible law abiding citizens.

In the UK we don’t storm political buildings, thank goodness, and does anyone actually dislike the NHS or RNLI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I think left-wing idiots consider themselves sensible, as do right-wing idiots consider themselves sensible. Centrists are sensibe and consider left-wing idiots and right-wing idiots both to be two different varieties of idiots that are sometimes hard to tell apart, and left-wing idiots and right-wing idiots agree that centrists are idiots. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

Some definitely dislike the RNLI going off some of the FB comments. They'd rather let asylum seekers drown at sea and get irritated that the RNLI save anyone in trouble off the coast.

In the UK we don’t storm political buildings, thank goodness, and does anyone actually dislike the NHS or RNLI?

But we do cut the head off kings. Charlie beware!

• Haha 1

Apart from the Poll Tax I don't remember protests changing mush. Its a good way to let off steam of course. And for all sorts of groups to come together and create mayhem obviously.

The only way she will change her mind is by her own MPs pressurising her.

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Lol

You missed encouraging the booing of the taking the knee ? Right wing supported Trump and was supported by many that had your views on here ? Johnson encouraged the NHS to be disrespected because we objected to a 1% pay rise and The RNLI openly were abused for rescuing asylum seekers egged on by Farage and not condemned by any Tory MP.

Edited by Well b back
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its been so long  I don't recognise that street. Which one is it?

It started on King Street then on to POW road.

Haha, keep the red flag flying!

Don't you like a red flag?😉

Decent turnout, indeed.

Hard to tell quite how many from ground level. But seemed to stretch back over most of Prince of Wales Road.

16 hours ago, 1902 said:

Cancelling unnecessary tax cuts for the rich? Sign me up. Structural changes to the energy market and more money for insulation and electrification of heating? Again, I'm all in.

Selling our Ukraine or just vague complaints that inflation is too high. Count me out 

This is why these things are difficult to support. I'm all for action on the cost of living, but at the moment it feels very 'old man shouts at cloud'.

That seems a bit harsh IMO - Enough is Enough seems to have pretty clear aims to me, I don't think 'vague complaints that inflation is too high' is really a fair charactarisation of what they are about.

I also think they are right to protest because the cost of living crisis in this country is almost entirely home-grown by our utterly incompetent Tory government. Of course Ukraine has exacerbated the situation considerably but listening to the deceitful idiots running the country who assume that our memory span is so short that we don't remember that inflation and especially energy price inflation kicked off last autumn. They assume that we don't remember that over the winter they pumped several billion quid of taxpayers' money down the drain to keep a failed private energy company running whilst 30+ other energy providers went bust.

Of course the protests won't achieve much - as Herman has pointed out in the UK we protest so meekly that even large protests don't alarm the government/establishment as much as perhaps one might hope 🙂

But I wouldn't say they are futile either; I think they do help to build and cement the public mood to some extent and they also provide an opportunity for some very angry people to let off steam peacefully, so far at least. There is clearly a danger though with this particular issue and the genuinely desperate situation a great many people are already in or are shortly going to find themselves in that they won't remain peaceful as we go into winter. Again as Herman has already said, that was never a danger with the huge Remain protests but this is a completely different situation.

17 hours ago, 1902 said:

The only decent thing that was funny about that awful Simpsons episode.

18 hours ago, Herman said:

Yep, these protests need to be brutal, not to a point where they damage property though. The Poll Tax/Community Charge ones were antisocial.

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Yep, these protests need to be brutal, not to a point where they damage property though. The Poll Tax/Community Charge ones were antisocial.

I never saw the issue with the Poll Tax.  Council Tax seems far more unfair.  After all, why should a retired couple living on their pensions pay more than an extended family of 8 living just up the road, simply because their house is a bit bigger?

• Thanks 1

Part of the reporting in this is scaremongering. They only report on the highest caps, not how much per unit our gas or electricity will be.

If they actually bothered, then maybe our minds would be at some sort of rest and we can then as individuals plan out our monthly energy usage.