Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

"Scouse not English"

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

Have they not been reduced to a ceremonial role already? Whilst we pretend that they are ultimately in charge they never actually try to use their supposed power and if the monarch did (for example) try to reject a piece of legislation then that would lead ot a constitutional crisis that would almost certainly end up favouring the govt and removal of the nominative position that the monarch has as head of state.

Isn’t that a little like saying I know that gas pipe is a little frayed in the kitchen but it’s ok because we have a fire extinguisher?

It’s a little like Brexit in that it’s partly symbolic, but with a very different set of supporters. Oh, and it won’t **** over our economy.

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Isn’t that a little like saying I know that gas pipe is a little frayed in the kitchen but it’s ok because we have a fire extinguisher?

It’s a little like Brexit in that it’s partly symbolic, but with a very different set of supporters. Oh, and it won’t **** over our economy.

It's more like having a TV aerial when you only watch sky and Netflix, it's there because in theory you need it but in practice you never actually use it....

23 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I would love for English people to have a poll to see if they actually want Scotland to remain in the UK.

As much as we all like to joke about politicians being a bit dim and out of touch, there's a reason why zero English political party has ever wanted to lose Scotland. 

I see myself as ‘British’ and love the home nations. I’d be really disappointed for the union if Scotland became independent personally. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I would love for English people to have a poll to see if they actually want Scotland to remain in the UK.

As much as we all like to joke about politicians being a bit dim and out of touch, there's a reason why zero English political party has ever wanted to lose Scotland. 

Scotland are about 60% of the labour vote. 
Its in Conservative interests to get shot of them frankly.

However you have to consider the price its going to cost to lose Scotland. Scapa Flow would be a huge strategic loss to England and I dont see the Scottish leasing it to us.

Can we also remember that technically James I united England and Scotland and he was the Scottish King before the English, if he had any brains he would have made Scotland the Primary title and the whole bloody lot of us would be living in Scotland!
So when the Scots moan about being tied to England it was actually a Scottish King that did it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Scotland are about 60% of the labour vote. 
Its in Conservative interests to get shot of them frankly.

However you have to consider the price its going to cost to lose Scotland. Scapa Flow would be a huge strategic loss to England and I dont see the Scottish leasing it to us.

Can we also remember that technically James I united England and Scotland and he was the Scottish King before the English, if he had any brains he would have made Scotland the Primary title and the whole bloody lot of us would be living in Scotland!
So when the Scots moan about being tied to England it was actually a Scottish King that did it.

To be a pedant, James I of England and James Vi of Scotland didn't actually unite the crown's, he wore both of them and failed in all attempts to make them a single kingdom. It wasn't until 1707, essentially the death throws of the Stewart monarchy, that the act of union actually United England and Scotland....

7 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I think that would be pointless as the majority would be massively in favour of them staying. Much as people joke about hating the jocks it's more of a sibling thing, we love you really.

38 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

To be a pedant, James I of England and James Vi of Scotland didn't actually unite the crown's, he wore both of them and failed in all attempts to make them a single kingdom. It wasn't until 1707, essentially the death throws of the Stewart monarchy, that the act of union actually United England and Scotland....

Scottish king 👍

On 13/09/2022 at 22:49, WD40 said:

Scouse not British…hmm…how do they like that British money that funds their benefits and NHS services for all they contribute. The government has just had to bail out the Liverpool city council for fiscal mismanagement. 

Fairly sure the regeneration of Liverpool was largely with EU grants.

On 13/09/2022 at 21:06, Branston Pickle said:

Not sure that’s completely fair or even correct- it was short but didn’t need to be “abandoned”.  These things are rarely, if ever, a measured minute.

Evidence suggests it's entirely fair and accurate; it's almost always at least 60 seconds.

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fairly sure the regeneration of Liverpool was largely with EU grants.

And the "destruction" of their world heritage site has been done with russian money and American bankers...

21 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Really?

Guessing it's only the Daily Mail readers who think we're subsidised by our Southern pals. 😉

To be fair technically you are subsidised by us southerners, but mainly due to the fact that oil tax revenue goes into the central coffers (I'm basing that I the fact that per capita Scots get more governmental money spent on them than English or Welsh)...

But being serious the economics don't come into it for me, I would be devastated to see my country broken up, when growing up I could see Scotland on a clear day and my nationality is British, not English. To think of it as a separate country is just plain wrong.

Forgive me if this is going off tangent or has already been mentioned but the term 'subject' became administratively (and presumably legally?) obsolete in 1981 after the British Nationality Act redefined us all as 'citizens' rather than 'subjects'.