Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Our current attacking and defensive effectiveness

Not sure I totally understand that, but probably not fun to watch Preston at the moment?

Thanks for raising a football thread btw 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Highest number of shots so far - but below-average in goals scored per shot. The latter issue sneaking us (just) inside the ‘energetically wasteful’ camp instead of the ‘constant threat’ we need to aim for when attacking. (To join Burnley & Sheff U who are getting the attributes right)

In the ‘formidable’ group defensively (along with Shef U, Watford, Burnley & Luton), by keeping shots against us low, as well as a low goals-per-shot-against conversion rate.

Promising start, but improvements needed. Hopefully the first disappointing 4 or so games really  dragged down the stats and we’ll continue as we left off last week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Preston making the graphs 10x taller than they normally need to be!

I know, what’s going on at Preston?

Waste of paper,  this compares us with the Championship sides, we're surely needing to improve drastically on these numbers to compare with the Premier League where we are aiming for. 

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Waste of paper,  this compares us with the Championship sides, we're surely needing to improve drastically on these numbers to compare with the Premier League where we are aiming for. 

“Paper”?? Only if you’re printing it out I suppose…

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think comparing us to sides in our current division is pretty relevant, if not more relevant than Premier League statistics.

It's actually looking really good. Possibly slightly misleading in that we might be taking a higher number of lower value shots than average but it suggests that we could easily improve if we just increase our conversion rate.

Defensively it's better than I though it would be. Probably because we seemed to be conceding with every chance we allowed in the first few weeks so, while we were giving relatively few opportunities away, we were still losing. 

Time will tell how much we've improved once we play some of the better teams in the league. 

In early games this season there were a fair number of shots that were on the edge or just outside the area which were blocked fairly easily. I think our shooting has improved over the last few games so the OP's analysis will start to change.