Sign in to follow this  
SwearyCanary

Russ Martin to Brighton?

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

De Zerbi is a fantastic young coach, and would be an asset to any club. Very similar to Farke actually, in the sense that he plays exciting, attacking football and develops youth well, but the defence can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. 

So would you swap Smith for De Zebri?

9 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I can’t believe they haven’t cancelled the wedding out of respect for the Queen. How will they sleep at night? I hope people can still enjoy their canapés through the tears and grief. 

What I actually hope is that everyone has a great day, eats well, drinks loads, gets merry, has a dance and makes sure the happy couple have the best day of their lives. I genuinely hope not one guest gives a single thought to the Queen, because more importantly than anything, that would be genuinely disrespectful to the bride and groom. Congrats to them and to you as a proud grandfather. Hope all have a great day. 

First my Granddaughter is an American citizen so obviously that wouldn’t happen but I do appreciate your well wishes though we have different opinions on The Queen but probably agree on hoping NCFC have a good season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daly said:

First my Granddaughter is an American citizen so obviously that wouldn’t happen but I do appreciate your well wishes though we have different opinions on The Queen but probably agree on hoping NCFC have a good season 

I’ll drink to that. OTBC 

Hope today was good for all 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Well hypothetically, yes, De Zerbi is one of the best young coaches in Europe. 

Why do you ask?

No reason, I just like to ask, as I don’t know much about him. But I did think that this type of manager or Robins would be the way our club went post Farke as the Webber who joined us made it sound that we would move forwards in the same type of structure and manner. Not that I dislike Smith as a guy, he’s actually very nice and likeable, as a manager or coach he’s been a little lacklustre in his manner in his time with us, but having watched him against Coventry last week he’s upped his involvement during the game, just something I’ve noticed and been noticed by a couple regular season ticket holders I spoke to post match.

I must say I wonder if Smith thought his time with us was going to end in May but having given the summer and now this season he could well be buying more into his tenure with us. If this continues great, win win all round.

23 hours ago, Indy said:

I don’t understand it! Smith so rated by some on here and at Villa yet never linked to these jobs yet managers with no records are looked at! 🤔🤔

That would work if it wasn't for people regularly slagging off Martin too, typically the ones that don't rate Smith and said Martin wouldn't be up for the job when some suggested him as an alternative.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

That would work if it wasn't for people regularly slagging off Martin too, typically the ones that don't rate Smith and said Martin wouldn't be up for the job when some suggested him as an alternative.

Do people slag them off? Or just raise an opinion, do most on here really slag off or is that an overreaction to some who don’t feel Martin would be the right choice either? It’s just opinion isn’t it? I for one think both Martin and Robins would probably fitted a post Farke as coach than Smith for continuity, buts that’s just me! I’m wrong on lots of things so don’t follow my opinion……😂👍

Edited by Indy

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Do people slag them off? Or just raise an opinion, do most on here really slag off or is that an overreaction to some who don’t feel Martin would be the right choice either? It’s just opinion isn’t it? I for one think both Martin and Robins would probably fitted a post Farke as coach than Smith for continuity, buts that’s just me! I’m wrong on lots of things so don’t follow my opinion……😂👍

Yeah, they have. It's followed on because they still want to say he was a rubbish player... and for some, once you're rubbish, you're rubbish... 

However, point stands. You can't really argue that if Smith was any good he should be being ripped out of are hands instead of Martin if you are saying Martin is also cack - that's the point.

Suddenly Martin must be good because in some twisted way, it suits todays argument that Smith isn't.

Just like Smith isn't as good as Farke despite the same people saying that we have a far weaker squad than the one Farke had in the last Championship campaign... logic, doesn't like some folks does it?

I would suggest that if Brighton are interested in Martin it's likely to be because he would fit several criteria. The main one being he is at a club that is likely to part with him for a reasonable about. Others will be that he is young, will accept goals and targets that better coaches may not accept. I don't see Brighton being massively different to us, they've sold players on, brought new players in to develop etc.

People say they will want a better coach to kick them on... I'm not sure what that means. They are not realistically going to break into the top 6, so finishing above tenth is their main aim. Yet he'll also be ambitious and enthusiastic.

Am I convinced he is there yet? No. But who knows? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Yeah, they have. It's followed on because they still want to say he was a rubbish player... and for some, once you're rubbish, you're rubbish... 

However, point stands. You can't really argue that if Smith was any good he should be being ripped out of are hands instead of Martin if you are saying Martin is also cack - that's the point.

Suddenly Martin must be good because in some twisted way, it suits todays argument that Smith isn't.

Just like Smith isn't as good as Farke despite the same people saying that we have a far weaker squad than the one Farke had in the last Championship campaign... logic, doesn't like some folks does it?

I would suggest that if Brighton are interested in Martin it's likely to be because he would fit several criteria. The main one being he is at a club that is likely to part with him for a reasonable about. Others will be that he is young, will accept goals and targets that better coaches may not accept. I don't see Brighton being massively different to us, they've sold players on, brought new players in to develop etc.

People say they will want a better coach to kick them on... I'm not sure what that means. They are not realistically going to break into the top 6, so finishing above tenth is their main aim. Yet he'll also be ambitious and enthusiastic.

Am I convinced he is there yet? No. But who knows? 

I don’t get this “Better Coach” or Manager thing! It’s about how each manager/coach fits the club, it’s vision and it’s attitude……Lambert absolutely brilliant with his team of coaches here, moves to the Villa and looks like a terrible manager, Walker, Moyes…..and on and on, it’s the FIT which is key and why I and other question Smith, it’s not about how good we think they are, it’s how we think they’ll take us either forward or not! Till this month we looked a **** poor side with no style! Five wins and we’re moving forwards, but one month doesn’t make a season! 
So for me I thought Robins or Martin would be a projection of Farkes under Webber, used to working under a budget, developing youngsters and a recent history of success…….just my view, but here we are!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I don’t get this “Better Coach” or Manager thing! It’s about how each manager/coach fits the club, it’s vision and it’s attitude……Lambert absolutely brilliant with his team of coaches here, moves to the Villa and looks like a terrible manager, Walker, Moyes…..and on and on, it’s the FIT which is key and why I and other question Smith, it’s not about how good we think they are, it’s how we think they’ll take us either forward or not! Till this month we looked a **** poor side with no style! Five wins and we’re moving forwards, but one month doesn’t make a season! 
So for me I thought Robins or Martin would be a projection of Farkes under Webber, used to working under a budget, developing youngsters and a recent history of success…….just my view, but here we are!

Sure, but that ignores several things. Webber has been an admirer of Smith since he was at Brentford, where he was "working under a budget" where he also developed players including youngsters and had a recent history of success.

People go on about this style shift, but like you, have struggled to identify a style. We have been a team in transition, as with Farke's first season, it can take time to get players to play to that style.

Smith's style, if you care to watch his Villa and Brentford sides, isn't drastically different to Farke's. Where it is different is when we haven't got the ball. That can put us in different positions when we win it back. We still look to pass it, but generally, with more urgency and intent. Sometimes under Farke it could be pedestrian and all in front of the opposition, especially in the premier league. Hence creating so few chances. You need to break lines, pull defenders out of position, and then when you do, be able to exploit that with quick, sharp passing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sure, but that ignores several things. Webber has been an admirer of Smith since he was at Brentford, where he was "working under a budget" where he also developed players including youngsters and had a recent history of success.

People go on about this style shift, but like you, have struggled to identify a style. We have been a team in transition, as with Farke's first season, it can take time to get players to play to that style.

Smith's style, if you care to watch his Villa and Brentford sides, isn't drastically different to Farke's. Where it is different is when we haven't got the ball. That can put us in different positions when we win it back. We still look to pass it, but generally, with more urgency and intent. Sometimes under Farke it could be pedestrian and all in front of the opposition, especially in the premier league. Hence creating so few chances. You need to break lines, pull defenders out of position, and then when you do, be able to exploit that with quick, sharp passing.

And you’ve just made my point! At Brentford he didn’t improve them, they finished higher prior to his tenure and finished higher after he departed! Like I said the right fit! I don’t believe Webber was an admirer if he was why didn’t he go after Smith on his arrival here? Or while he was at Huddersfield? Probably just post employment remarks as lots of clubs do on appointments!

Hey like I said, he’s had one month where results have certainly been good, performances patchy, but certainly looking better in parts. We all see and view things differently and that’s great! I don’t see Smith Brentford tenure as anything other than treading water, certainly since his departure they’ve bounded on! They’re manager now fits that club! Would he be as successful if he took charge at Villa or Everton or even Leicester is the question! I’m off to bed as I have an early start tomorrow, night chicken.👍

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

And you’ve just made my point! At Brentford he didn’t improve them, they finished higher prior to his tenure and finished higher after he departed! Like I said the right fit! I don’t believe Webber was an admirer if he was why didn’t he go after Smith on his arrival here? Or while he was at Huddersfield? Probably just post employment remarks as lots of clubs do on appointments!

Hey like I said, he’s had one month where results have certainly been good, performances patchy, but certainly looking better in parts. We all see and view things differently and that’s great! I don’t see Smith Brentford tenure as anything other than treading water, certainly since his departure they’ve bounded on! They’re manager now fits that club! Would he be as successful if he took charge at Villa or Everton or even Leicester is the question! I’m off to bed as I have an early start tomorrow, night chicken.👍

You might need to tell him then...
image.png.49fa059916af6873d7d3b2bc64f2ad72.png

Now, there are folks that like to, as you have, hand wave off things as "spin". There really isn't much to be gained from "I have admired his work for some time". I suppose an argument is that many fans believe it was a knee jerk appointment, Smith suddenly became available and everything else went out the window and this statement is just to make it look more considered? Not sure that really computes really. If anything, it reaffirms that when he became available everything else seemingly went off the table, talks with Lampard ended etc. 

I didn't prove your point. You just defined what you think of as "improved". Farke didn't instantly improve us either, in fact, we went from 8th to 14th. Did Farke improve us? Yes, along with Webber and the new sporting set up. Rather than throw what is your bias into the mix, why not look up some reflections on Smith's time with Brentford from their perspective or a neutral's perspective? Pieces like this:
https://www.football.london/brentford-fc/brentfords-project-always-bigger-dean-15266031

That piece alone could almost be word for word matched with a number of interviews with Webber or even Farke at times. The development of young players, not standing in their way etc. So on and so forth. Interestingly it also says that he worked to a style brief - in that he was brought in not for "his" style per se, but because the club has a style and they want their coaches to work to it. Contrary to many views on here, Smith clearly isn't encouraging hoof ball, nor did he at Villa.

As if to underline some of that, he's brought in Ramsey on loan. A player he helped to bring through to the Villa squad, to play that style for them.

This idea he isn't the right fit because "style" has no weight... yet. I say that because the people that argue it tend to also say we have no "clear style". That's demonstrably false, unless you don't want there to be one. The issue we have at the moment, is implementing it on a consistent basis.

If we were seeing Pulis football, or Allardice football, I would get it. What we are seeing isn't drastically different. The style is pretty much the same, the way we employ it is tweaked. As I've said before, under Farke, we were incredibly weak when the opposition had the ball. Though the defence was often blamed, it was usually the midfield that were the culprits. Even though we don't have them all fit yet, it's somewhat comforting that we again went in to address that.

I look forward to having Sara fully fit and Hayden ready for regular football. Gibbs back would also be a massive boost as he clearly wasn't a hoofball merchant either, switching play with wonderfully stroked ground passes. Rowe too. It's easy to forget Nunez probably needs to be given some time to settle in to get consistency considering the levels he's already delivered.

I think it's wrong to suggest we have been poor. I think we are managing games better than we have seen in some time. That's down to working harder off the ball and defensively as a team. More clean sheets and less goals than after this many games in 2018-19 and 2020-21, also more wins in same number of games. We haven't done that at the expense of goals either. Scoring 12 which matches the 18-19 season for the first 8 games and betters the 9 for the 20-20 season equivalent.

It's been clear from the start, IMHO, that Smith's brief has been "our style, but harder to beat". "Our style" is when we have the ball, or at least, under Farke was mainly about when we have the ball. For me, the key difference is Smith is trying to make our team tougher. Rather than hanging all his hopes on somehow holding onto the ball for 90mins to stop teams scoring, he's been more pragmatic, accepted that we need to be better when the opposition have the ball, and they will have the ball, especially if we want to gain promotion.

That's it. And that's what has worked elsewhere. Frank followed Smith seamlessly. Smith largely followed the same plan at Villa. Like I say, go watch their games under him and tell us all that the style they played was so drastically different it evidences that he couldn't fit here.

• Like 2

Martin is considered a target by some as he plays 3421 like Brighton.

The same is true with Cooper who in fairness to Martin has more experience and has also won promotion from the Championship.

Brighton obviously don't have a problem appointing someone out of the Championship or someone who is up and coming.

At a guess they will place a high degree of importance on the playing style of the manager as they have now assembled a fairly decent squad which is set up to play 3421. In other words Martin may be a realistic contender here- perhaps with Cooper ahead of him.

For Brighton getting a manager who plays their way will ensure that they can capitalise on what they have built so far.

Changing their playing style and personnel to fit a new manager is a far more complex and risky prospect and seems an unlikely way for them to go. 

On 10/09/2022 at 23:42, chicken said:

You might need to tell him then...
image.png.49fa059916af6873d7d3b2bc64f2ad72.png

Now, there are folks that like to, as you have, hand wave off things as "spin". There really isn't much to be gained from "I have admired his work for some time". I suppose an argument is that many fans believe it was a knee jerk appointment, Smith suddenly became available and everything else went out the window and this statement is just to make it look more considered? Not sure that really computes really. If anything, it reaffirms that when he became available everything else seemingly went off the table, talks with Lampard ended etc. 

I didn't prove your point. You just defined what you think of as "improved". Farke didn't instantly improve us either, in fact, we went from 8th to 14th. Did Farke improve us? Yes, along with Webber and the new sporting set up. Rather than throw what is your bias into the mix, why not look up some reflections on Smith's time with Brentford from their perspective or a neutral's perspective? Pieces like this:
https://www.football.london/brentford-fc/brentfords-project-always-bigger-dean-15266031

That piece alone could almost be word for word matched with a number of interviews with Webber or even Farke at times. The development of young players, not standing in their way etc. So on and so forth. Interestingly it also says that he worked to a style brief - in that he was brought in not for "his" style per se, but because the club has a style and they want their coaches to work to it. Contrary to many views on here, Smith clearly isn't encouraging hoof ball, nor did he at Villa.

As if to underline some of that, he's brought in Ramsey on loan. A player he helped to bring through to the Villa squad, to play that style for them.

This idea he isn't the right fit because "style" has no weight... yet. I say that because the people that argue it tend to also say we have no "clear style". That's demonstrably false, unless you don't want there to be one. The issue we have at the moment, is implementing it on a consistent basis.

If we were seeing Pulis football, or Allardice football, I would get it. What we are seeing isn't drastically different. The style is pretty much the same, the way we employ it is tweaked. As I've said before, under Farke, we were incredibly weak when the opposition had the ball. Though the defence was often blamed, it was usually the midfield that were the culprits. Even though we don't have them all fit yet, it's somewhat comforting that we again went in to address that.

I look forward to having Sara fully fit and Hayden ready for regular football. Gibbs back would also be a massive boost as he clearly wasn't a hoofball merchant either, switching play with wonderfully stroked ground passes. Rowe too. It's easy to forget Nunez probably needs to be given some time to settle in to get consistency considering the levels he's already delivered.

I think it's wrong to suggest we have been poor. I think we are managing games better than we have seen in some time. That's down to working harder off the ball and defensively as a team. More clean sheets and less goals than after this many games in 2018-19 and 2020-21, also more wins in same number of games. We haven't done that at the expense of goals either. Scoring 12 which matches the 18-19 season for the first 8 games and betters the 9 for the 20-20 season equivalent.

It's been clear from the start, IMHO, that Smith's brief has been "our style, but harder to beat". "Our style" is when we have the ball, or at least, under Farke was mainly about when we have the ball. For me, the key difference is Smith is trying to make our team tougher. Rather than hanging all his hopes on somehow holding onto the ball for 90mins to stop teams scoring, he's been more pragmatic, accepted that we need to be better when the opposition have the ball, and they will have the ball, especially if we want to gain promotion.

That's it. And that's what has worked elsewhere. Frank followed Smith seamlessly. Smith largely followed the same plan at Villa. Like I say, go watch their games under him and tell us all that the style they played was so drastically different it evidences that he couldn't fit here.

Been busy this weekend, in parts I don’t disagree but to say smith is trying tougher to beat is pretty much any managers brief! We had Tettey and never replaced him, whether it was a Farke issue or Webber but we’ve not really changed that in two years.

Funny how going back to a three behind Pukki / Sargent has improved our results in the last five games! Not something that was used in our first three games in the championship!

We’ll disagree on things and I still don’t have huge faith in Smith’s manager ability, time will tell, but automatic promotion is the only measure given the squad he’s got.

Edited by Indy

On 10/09/2022 at 23:05, Indy said:

This is called looking at league positions without any sense of context or facts behind it.

Ask any Brentford fan is Smith improved them.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is called looking at league positions without any sense of context or facts behind it.

Ask any Brentford fan is Smith improved them.

Ah OK!

I wonder how many Brentford fans would swap Smith with Frank!

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Ah OK!

I wonder how many Brentford fans would swap Smith with Frank!

That's not the point though, is it? Or the point I was making? We can all make up random alternate arguments as soon as our initial one starts to look a bit silly when context is applied 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That's not the point though, is it? Or the point I was making? We can all make up random alternate arguments as soon as our initial one starts to look a bit silly when context is applied 🙂

It’s not, he didn’t improve them, football is a results business! You’re using an argument based on some Brentford fans, some Vila fans love him too, yet they’re not wanting him back! It’s only your opinion and some others! We’ll leave it there as you nor I are Brentford fans and reall6 don’t know how good he really was there as we didn’t watch every home game!

Edited by Indy

37 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s not, he didn’t improve them, football is a results business! You’re using an argument based on some Brentford fans, some Vila fans love him too, yet they’re not wanting him back! It’s only your opinion and some others! We’ll leave it there as you nor I are Brentford fans and reall6 don’t know how good he really was there as we didn’t watch every home game!

@Branston Pickle went to plenty of Brentford games, and has Brentford mates if I remember correctly, and he's articulated the same points as mine. Are they still not good enough? Is it only results that matter in football? Does it not matter the style, the players put together, sold, bought, ethos? Or do none of those matter? Which argument are we picking to try and detract from Smith today? 🙂

Just now, hogesar said:

@Branston Pickle went to plenty of Brentford games, and has Brentford mates if I remember correctly, and he's articulated the same points as mine. Are they still not good enough? Is it only results that matter in football? Does it not matter the style, the players put together, sold, bought, ethos? Or do none of those matter? Which argument are we picking to try and detract from Smith today? 🙂

I’m not detracting at all it’s just opinions! Jesus some people are touchy! No they’re not good enough! So I’ve been to 20 odd Oxford games, doesn’t make me an expert on Robinson, in fact there’s a massive split in the Oxford fans on how Oxford are doing under him! It’s all opinion!
So to toe the line! Yes Smith has been a breath of fresh air, he’s improved us no end on Farke, we were so unlucky to have been relegated last season after a huge improvement in performance! This season you can see that massive step up in Smiths impact, even if we don’t get promoted it’s not Smiths issue, it’s the players who aren’t good enough! If we get promoted it’s all down to Smith as he got more out of a **** poor group of players! 
I think this covers all angles, I won’t have an opinion on Smith as obviously it’s not allowed to be negative by some people!

It’s always a difficult one to try to compare one club with another, and one tenure with another.  Sticking to the facts, Smith was poached by Villa and they’d not have wanted him if he wasn’t well regarded as their aim was promotion and staying in the PL.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s always a difficult one to try to compare one club with another, and one tenure with another.  Sticking to the facts, Smith was poached by Villa and they’d not have wanted him if he wasn’t well regarded as their aim was promotion and staying in the PL.

Indeed it is, a point I made above with Chicken. Success is measured in many guises, but ultimately results get you hired or fired.

Even with five good wins, credit to Smith and I made point of having been at the Covvy game Smith was far more interactive and involved than in games I watched live and on TV from his premiership games. Long May it continue! As for my original point it’s that Smith hasn’t been linked to any higher jobs and will no doubt need a few successful season with us or another to gain that respect again. No different to others who move clubs, as I said Lambert was outstanding for us, fitted the club and team we had, his coaches and set up took us to a good place, he jumped and probably regrets it now! I wonder had he stayed with us where we might be now?

6 hours ago, Indy said:

Indeed it is, a point I made above with Chicken. Success is measured in many guises, but ultimately results get you hired or fired.

Even with five good wins, credit to Smith and I made point of having been at the Covvy game Smith was far more interactive and involved than in games I watched live and on TV from his premiership games. Long May it continue! As for my original point it’s that Smith hasn’t been linked to any higher jobs and will no doubt need a few successful season with us or another to gain that respect again. No different to others who move clubs, as I said Lambert was outstanding for us, fitted the club and team we had, his coaches and set up took us to a good place, he jumped and probably regrets it now! I wonder had he stayed with us where we might be now?

You very much confuse your point though - as Branston said, he clearly did well enough at Brentford to have Villa move for him.

It is a results business, but results are also measured by the means within which you work. Take Paul Warne for example. He's taken Rotherham up to the championship and then struggled. They could have sacked him. But for them, he does what they need him to do with a limited budget.

You have mentioned Mark Robins, you can't think he is a "good fit" based upon it being a "results business" because he's clearly not getting great results.

Yet Smith is getting good results but we can't judge that until the end of the season.

As for being linked to higher jobs... who knows. Like I said before, Brighton will want to find a manager that isn't too hard to prise away from the club they are at. If they are genuinely going after Russell Martin - which by the way, is yet to actually be seen - then it isn't for results either is it? 8pts from 9 games... he also didn't really set MK Dons alight... he did ok, nothing more really.

My suggestion is that if you are going to create a stick to measure people by, make sure you don't change the stick mid measure. Is it style or is it results? 

I note that a certain R Martin has just arrived in the play off places with four wins on the bounce. He received horrendous abuse early in the season for his obsessively possession based style but that has now been subtly tweaked to a more robust and slightly direct philosophy and the points are being quickly harvested. Pity so many posters would not touch him with a bargepole as a future NCFC manager and seem to be only happy when they are pouring vitriol in his direction!

Make no mistake the boy will soon be waving to us from his rearview mirror as he progresses onwards and upwards in his managerial career.

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

I note that a certain R Martin has just arrived in the play off places with four wins on the bounce. He received horrendous abuse early in the season for his obsessively possession based style but that has now been subtly tweaked to a more robust and slightly direct philosophy and the points are being quickly harvested. Pity so many posters would not touch him with a bargepole as a future NCFC manager and seem to be only happy when they are pouring vitriol in his direction!

Make no mistake the boy will soon be waving to us from his rearview mirror as he progresses onwards and upwards in his managerial career.

I think I’d be cautious of him being next NCFC manager, but it’s lack of experience that does it for me. I think a good championship season this year and he has proved his worth. I don’t think he will be first in line for lots of jobs higher up though tbh. Still a long way to go to prove that. Brighton allegedly looked at him and for a team like them you’d think it was a decent fit, but ultimately he was never going there, as at this stage in his career they’re just too big for him