Sign in to follow this  
Cornwall Canaryfan

What Went Wrong?

12 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I seem to be almost the only person so far who agrees with you that the 9 matches after the restart were when it all went wrong. If we had still gone down but managed to get to around 30 points, I think we would still have believed that 'Farkeball' would work next time, but that awful run of results meant we lost faith in what we were doing. We tried to change our approach, but not with any real conviction. Maybe Farke should have stuck to his beliefs after the second promotion and told Webber 'back me or sack me'. 

This is a really good post, and to be fair to the OP, I think I missed this aspect of what they were saying. In and among all the mistakes that have been made, what politicians would call "events, dear boy" certainly played their part. Our fixture list in 19-20 backed up a lot of winnable home games at the end of the season. I just don't believe that we'd have lost them all if we'd played in front of full houses at CR.

In a similar vein, I'd add that having the squad decimated by covid just when Smith seemed to be getting going just snuffed out any hopes we had last season.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying that we were just the victims of bad luck, just that bad luck played its part.)

We simply need to win 2 games in a row and transfer window to be closed.

Too many starters is not with right attitude at the moment because still think they can escape to better level.

We have same problem before but some wins and settled group solved this problem.

Must win next home games I fly for them to UK and hope 6 pts to push our season!

My record when come at Carrow Road is something like 90% wins so hope to bring back some luck :p

We are a bit flat at moment but also a bit unlucky so get behind the boys and hope for good response.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Boris said:

Must win next home games I fly for them to UK and hope 6 pts to push our season!

My record when come at Carrow Road is something like 90% wins so hope to bring back some luck 😛

Please fly here quickly then.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Christ is so easy to say now that getting rid of Farke was a panic sacking. 

If the season had started well there wouldn't be a whisper about Farke. 

Correct. This God like fawning about Farke is sickening. Seems the humiliations at Man City and Chelsea when the manager was just as spineless as his team have been airbrushed from history! I am no great fan of Smith at all but 'would absolutely love it' if the team won the next three or four matches to shut some of these posters up. So go on then  sack Smith and you'll be on the back of the next manager and the one after that after two or three losses  simply because their name is not 'Daniel Farke'. 

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct. This God like fawning about Farke is sickening. Seems the humiliations at Man City and Chelsea when the manager was just as spineless as his team have been airbrushed from history! I am no great fan of Smith at all but 'would absolutely love it' if the team won the next three or four matches to shut some of these posters up. So go on then  sack Smith and you'll be on the back of the next manager and the one after that after two or three losses  simply because their name is not 'Daniel Farke'. 

If Norwich win the next 2 or 3 games I’ll still think Dean Smith is a fat loser that should get out of my club And that’s got nothing to do with Farke. It’s got to do with the fact that Dean Smith is fat loser that I don’t want at my club.

20 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Christ is so easy to say now that getting rid of Farke was a panic sacking. 

If the season had started well there wouldn't be a whisper about Farke. 

This seasons results have no relevance in the sacking of Daniel Farke. If this season had started with three wins it would still have been a panic sacking last year because that is exactly what it was. The powers that be left him with a worse team for the Premier League than the one that won the Championship. No manager on earth would have kept that team up.

• Like 1

I think the truth is the lack of money is starting to bite. Everyone points to the money spent last season but the truth is that Premier League teams spend that on one or two players, not 5 or 6, and they spend the same over a number of windows, not just one.

I think the team is a bit stale now and it’s harder to get good players in to make the difference.

On 13/08/2022 at 17:06, ricardo said:

All stems from a panic sacking last year.

Much of it stems from not having a proper defensive midfielder in the side (i.e. not replacing Skipp).

Where did it go wrong well I try think it’s obvious we failed to build on the momentum of 18/19 and basically accepted relegation. Farke should have been backed on promotion with the sort of money we spend last year Instead we paid off debts and handed out big contracts to players who despite there heroics getting us to the premier league were never going to kept us there.

I think also a lot of frustration comes from somewhere in Farke reign there was a team who could have had a season like Leeds or Brentford have enjoyed in the premier league.

Edited by Ulfotto

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

This seasons results have no relevance in the sacking of Daniel Farke. If this season had started with three wins it would still have been a panic sacking last year because that is exactly what it was. The powers that be left him with a worse team for the Premier League than the one that won the Championship. No manager on earth would have kept that team up.

So when Farke was sacked you were outraged and firmly believed he should have been given more time? 

Did you make any posts at the time that attest to that? Or even in the months following?

It's just a coincidence that we lay 24th in the championship and you chose this time to mention Farke shouldn't have been sacked?

It's all a little unlikely for me. I think some people don't know they're doing it.

Hindsight in football is a beautiful thing but it's also nonsense. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

So when Farke was sacked you were outraged and firmly believed he should have been given more time? 

Did you make any posts at the time that attest to that? Or even in the months following?

It's just a coincidence that we lay 24th in the championship and you chose this time to mention Farke shouldn't have been sacked?

It's all a little unlikely for me. I think some people don't know they're doing it.

Hindsight in football is a beautiful thing but it's also nonsense. 

I suggest you research that yourself. It can be found easily enough.

To recap what I said at the time for those with short memories. 

By sacking Daniel Farke we threw away everything that made us different and reverted to the managerial roundabout that almost every other club employs. Perhaps I was naive to believe in the identity that Webber introduced but the sacking of Daniel Farke abrogated that supposed identity completely.

Relegation was always certain and I think that was quickly obvious to everyone. So here we are back in the Championship and having sacked the man who knew how to get us promoted. Smith may yet be able to do the same but the identity that we once had will never return.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We sold Emi and couldn’t buy Skipp. Ripped the heart and spine out of the team with the 2 best players gone before we’d even kicked a ball. Replacing them both was a tall order but wasting the money so horrendously was and still is, unforgivable.

This, and we sacked Farke because he failed to make anything of what was given to replace them.

The players and everyone at the club realized that no matter how they set up or how hard they work they are an inferior team in that division and just don't have the quality. Footballers are people, not robots and it's hard to play when you're constantly doubting yourself and expecting the worst to happen. We regained that winning mentality again back in the Championship but those early defeats to the big clubs re opened old mental scars and we just never had the right mentality. The players would have also known from the training session that we hadn't properly replaced Skipp and Buendia and I suspect players were doubting their chances early in pre season. Mentality is something you have to get right if you're to have any chance in that league, that confidence we had after the first promotion saw us get a couple of good wins early despite being a poor team at that level but it quickly faded after we found we couldn't make our style of play work when teams pressed us at that level. 

This is why we need a big squad refresh. Too many players are mentally scared and don't believe themselves good enough. If we go up again and stick with the same squad heads will go down again very quickly if it doesn't go our way.